• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

"Meteor Storm" tonite... 1000 per hour possible.

sirhrmechanic

Command Sgt. Major
Minuteman
Supposed to be visible in the East starting around 12:30 - 1:30 am Eastern. Going to be cool and clear here!

As many as 1000 shooting stars per hour.

If you have NODS, these are really spectacular when watching through night vision. You see all kinds of stuff that you can't see unaided. @TheGerman if you are out on the range next few nights, may be a spectacular 'post-show' show for your clients!

Anyway, I plan to stay up if I can! Should be pretty darn cool.

Sirhr

Supposed to be visible in the East starting around 12:30 - 1:30 am Eastern. Going to be cool and clear here!

If you have NODS, these are really spectacular when watching through night vision. You see all kinds of stuff that you can't see unaided. @TheGerman if you are out on the range next few nights, may be a spectacular 'post-show' show for your clients!

Sirhr

We've talked about exactly this before out there and then we run into the problem that its not really reliable. From the story:

The Tau Herculids meteor shower may light up the skies over North America on May 30 and 31. Or it may not. There's a chance we might pass through the thickest part of the comet fragment that is creating the debris, in which case the night skies will be filled with shooting stars.

Like, it might be there, maybe, during some large window of time....or it may not show at all. lol

That's bee the challenge with trying to incorporate something like that.

So far the coolest 'event' was when the Starlink satellite train went over us one night.

I was in wonder valley California, outside of 29 palms.
We were shooting on BLM and we looked up and bam...
The space shuttle on top of a 747, so low, you would have seen a face in the window.
So big. It seemed like it was going to fall out of the sky because it looked like it was flying so slow because of it's size.

Never know what you are going to see on your range

The space shuttle on top of a 747, so low, you would have seen a face in the window.
So big. It seemed like it was going to fall out of the sky because it looked like it was flying so slow because of it's size.

When I was at NASA Johnson, they used to bring the shuttle 'past' on returns from West Coast landings. Most of the time they landed at Kennedy. But occasionally put down at Edwards, I think. On the West-to-East run, the 747 flew by JSC in order to show everyone the orbiter. It was always cool!

Never saw a landing... Always wanted to. Only launches. Lots of them! Including 1 night launch. To cool!

Cheers,

Sirhr

Reactions: camocorvette
Had to visit Houston for an unpleasant reason. Visited the Houston Space Museum.
Test model.
1653936958202.png

Real one.....

1653936990111.png

1653937040244.png

1653937067306.png

Thanks for the heads up on tonight's event.

My brother is coming out to my farm tonight so hopefully this hits us with 1k per hour. He's bringing his good camera so we should get some good pics if it happens.

Sheep hole pass by any chance ?

Sirhr
Hopefully one the size of Texas will land on DC!

thanks for the post that's great news only you did not mention to keep looking up .

Since this shower is the remanence of a comet that broke up, the likelihood of anything other than a light show is about highly doubtful.

Every fucking meteor shower I stay up for magically clouds roll in or nothing happens lol.

I gotta be up in 4 hours for work but I still just now went outside. I saw absolutely nothing lol.

I'm about an hour south of Houston. I can see all the beautiful stars but those are always there!

I was outside for 30 minutes and I saw 2 nice streaks across the sky. But a far cry from 4 per minute and up to 1000 per hour. It's a dark sky with the new moon, but I'm disappointed in the numbers. But the 2 that I saw were very bright and lasted a good bit of time.

I was outside for 30 minutes and I saw 2 nice streaks across the sky. But a far cry from 4 per minute and up to 1000 per hour. It's a dark sky with the new moon, but I'm disappointed in the numbers. But the 2 that I saw were very bright and lasted a good bit of time.
I didn't see shit

I saw about 20 between 1230 and 130. Only one really good one at 1250 right past the Big Dipper. Maybe 5 more “possibles.”

One satellite.

Firefly orgy going on in my field.

Put on nods for last five minutes and caught one more I might not have seen with naked eye.

Definitely more than usual, but not the 1000 an hour that I hoped for.

Still, 20 in an hour isn’t bad. Light pollution up here is now bad, too.

Sirhr

Reactions: AMGtuned
I'm linked to a few observatories, and they are complaining that they aren't seeing anything either. Two in the Northern Hemisphere and one in the Southern hemisphere. Seems to be another dud. Peak was supposed to be from 12:30am to 1:30 am EDT. The observatories aren't giving up yet, but I'm heading to bed. Busy day tomorrow.

Sleep tight and don't let the bed bugs bite........

Me.. NW. Oregon. to my surprise, the sky was clear tonight . was a lot of Rain and Cloudy sky's for many days here,
So I strapped-on some NV and went out . Went out and sat for half hour, and will go out for another sit in another hour or two . The meteor streaks are there, but it's a waiting game, and it's only light streaks with only a few heavy streaks in half hour time I sat.

The scenery has really changed the last years. Is Pretty Sickening in seeing the stationary pollution of objects sitting glowing BIG now .
Also.. In the 1/2 hour I was sitting. I seen 6 separate orbiting objects, different positions, moving different directions . When Strapping-on some NV 20 years ago it was a real treat to just see the ISS zip by on an orbit . It is SO CROWDED up there now.
I hope to live long enough to see the ShitShow and glorious atmosphere shower, when a PRC Satellite in a decaying orbit bangs into some other object and the 'Big One' catastrophic debris cloud causes chain reaction of destruction.

Report from over the Rockies at FL350. I’ve only seen about a dozen. Well short of the thousand per hour.

I saw probably 15-20 in as many minutes using NV

Lot harder to see anything without 🤷🏼‍♂️

It was overcast here. We have one of the lowest light pollution areas in the country so its pretty easy to drive 20 minutes north or south and get a great look at the night sky. Pretty crazy to think it looked like that everywhere a mere 200 years ago.

Saw three here in Michigan in the 10 minutes I spent outside from 0000-0010 hours. nice long golden tails moving slower than other meteor showers. They were about two fists south of the big dipper handle from my location.

They didnt stick around long enough for pics but here is a dipper pic for you all ;)
20220530_235822.jpg

Saw a decent amount out here in Western MD. Most were small and burned up quick but there were a couple that looked good. Milky Way was nice and visible. Captured the below pic from a video through a pvs14. Best part was my brother brought my 7 year old nephew out and we were joking around and an owl started hooting by us and it was freaking him out. In his defense it was loud and about 50 yards from us. :)
A16BA79C-7767-4573-A302-542ED0DC10ED.jpeg

Full overcast here, as usual. Thunderstorms to the east and west that kept the temps down while we ate outside.

Kids slept out last night in central CO. They report “the coolest thing ever with like hundreds of shooting stars” and “it seemed like most of the stars in the sky were moving at times”.

this coming from three young teens so…they have no idea at time it was and might not be the most reliable sources but I also hadn’t mentioned the event to them so it was notable enough to get their attention.

A friend in NH started watching around 11:30 and said he was briefly getting the “5 per minute” number. But that was around midnight. About 1/2 hour before predicted time. So might have been early.

Was still a cool show! Glad the kids got to see it!

Sirhr

Dinosaurs got wiped out by one the size of Manhattan...

One the size of DC would wipe us out just as fast. I'd settle for one the size of Yankee Stadium hitting DC.

Sirhr

The comet that killed the Dinos was a long period comet and was a small one. A small comet on its way in or out a very long orbit hitting against the earth’s rotation - or worse, one in a hyperbolic visit, could be very bad news. They have extremely high velocities 5x to 10x those of normal comets which means 25x to 100x the energy. This velocity allows penetration deep into the mantle and the high energy also vaporizes a lot of material. One other thing about that comet is they now think it hit around noon based on the Tanis site in North Dakota. That means the comet came out of the sun.

All the talk about deflecting shit means nothing to a long period comet with very high velocities halfway around the sun from our orbit and well outside our orbital plane. Unless we have a massive battery of lasers in orbit, there is nothing we could do to it. At least we’d have a few months to get ready.

It’s the high velocity strikes that are now thought to cause the massive damage. Absent those, the rest are relatively minor in terms of impacts.

One other cool fact is that most of the short period comets and meteor showers come from one or more mostly benign giant comets that breakup into progressively smaller pieces. Most minor strikes between the larger hits from long period comets are from these. The larger comets show up every 10K years or so.

Then there are your normal comets. We are at an historical low period for another great coment comets so hopefully the next few years will have one show up,

Kids slept out last night in central CO. They report “the coolest thing ever with like hundreds of shooting stars” and “it seemed like most of the stars in the sky were moving at times”.

this coming from three young teens so…they have no idea at time it was and might not be the most reliable sources but I also hadn’t mentioned the event to them so it was notable enough to get their attention.

That’s pretty cool. Lots of satellite up there now that are visible. Next year will have favorable moon phases for most of the meteor storms. We plan to hit three of them. This year has the moon washing the sky out.

That’s pretty cool. Lots of satellite up there now that are visible. Next year will have favorable moon phases for most of the meteor storms. We plan to hit three of them. This year has the moon washing the sky out.
pretty good group of planets visible at dawn right now. At least out west. Merc, Venus, Mars, Jupiter and Saturn all in a row.