• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Member Link Up MI Upcoming Shoots

Re: MI Upcoming Shoots

Thanks Eric. I usually shoot at my friends house but I've shot at Williams and the state owned range in Lansing. I thinks its rose lake, I really want to go to young's and try shooting out to 1000 yards. And I hear ya on the cold part I can't wait til it warms up. How about you? Where do you shoot at?

Right now out in my backyard. I can get out to 210 here. Usually go up north to get out long range at the power lines but I haven't picked up a good enough of a optic to have fun.

Thinking about shooting the steel city carbine course in AL, but dont have all my parts yet....anyone got an scoped upper I could barrow for a weekend?

Anybody up for a Reade/ASC train up at youngs?

Rich

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SSG3K</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Anybody up for a Reade/ASC train up at youngs?

Rich </div></div>

I have no idea where youngs is....I have a windrunner if you want to plink though!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SSG3K</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Anybody up for a Reade/ASC train up at youngs?

Rich</div></div>

yup. Has to be a sunday for me though, and I know you guys dont like shooting sundays..

Hello,

New guy, getting back into the LR stuff. I live outside Detoilet, but have property up by Midland. 800 yd range now, 1400 yd after I move some dirt. Anyone have a better idea for a back stop than logs and dirt, LMK. Dont want to do tires.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HasgunWilltravel</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SSG3K</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Anybody up for a Reade/ASC train up at youngs?Rich</div></div>yup. Has to be a sunday for me though, and I know you guys dont like shooting sundays..</div></div>I could do Feb 6, 27, or 28.
Jason (Glock24) wants to come if we set it up.

I've only heard about youngs but would love to go.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: The_Punisher</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hello,

New guy, getting back into the LR stuff. I live outside Detoilet, but have property up by Midland. 800 yd range now, 1400 yd after I move some dirt. Anyone have a better idea for a back stop than logs and dirt, LMK. Dont want to do tires. </div></div>

800 is a nice range to have. I think logs and dirt will work just fine depending on what is on the other side.

Rich </div></div>

I'd like to shoot at Young's 1k. I have no idea what Reade/ASC means???

I get up by Midland alot for work, nice area.

1400 is a hell of a range! Cant get better than earth as a backstop, as long as its just dirt, and not gravel.

Any near future plans???

Rich

Punisher..you need help or someone to spot for you I am in..(just outside of flint) Shay.. I have some land in the boyne falls area I often visit. You living in Gaylord I am sure you got places also to shoot 500+ shoot me a pm

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SSG3K</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Any near future plans??? Rich </div></div>We didn't get out to Youngs in Feb. For me it's the Cup the week after next.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SSG3K</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Any near future plans???

Rich </div></div>

Brad Arnett, Myself and Jburt went last weekend for the day.

Brad Bryon was the only other person with us. We had about 5 ppl stop in and check out the range that day while we were there.

I'm ready for some warmer weather...

I'm currently off work till April since I have a fractured sacrum (lower pelvis.) Lemme know if anyone is heading to Young's and I'll load some ammo.

Hey guys, I should be moving to Michigan in April for school. Is anyone near Southfield? I'll be working at Providence hospital and am looking for a decent range and apartment near there.

Stayaway from Southfield kinda not so good. Maybee ry to find something in Berkley (My first house there). What kinda range?

Rich

I'll check out Berkley. A friend from MI recommended Farmington or Royal Oak.

As for a range, something long range (800-1000 yds) is perferred. I'm interested in getting into IDPA also.

Hey guys,

Been here for a bit now, but never noticed a spot for us Michiganders here. Guess I spend to much time drooling in the FS section.

Anyway I'll be coming home soon and want to get into the LR shooting game. I saw there were some comps coming up. I want to get into them but don't really know what that entails. Any help would be great.

Also looking to so some shooting just about anytime. If you guys are heading to a range and don't mind a tag along I'd be grateful. Never really got to stretch out beyond 600 before. Got a new GAP 300wsm I need to put through some paces.

Young's Long Shot has a new member
grin.gif

They also have a new web site up for those interested.

http://www.youngslongshot.com/

I shot there out to 1000 for the first time today… I was so “in the zone” getting things ready to go I forgot my ear plugs, camera and sun screen. So no pics, I did make an extra stop for ear plugs but didn’t think of the sun screen until a few hours after I got home and noticed, hmmm, my arms and neck are red and on fire! Oh well. To say I had fun is an understatement!

Two things I learned. Wind is a cruel teacher and I can see the value a spotter provides, turkey necking is tuff. Oh Honey?!? Ya right…
laugh.gif

Glad to see they finally updated their website.

Niles, hit me up next time you head to Young's. I'm a member as well, but haven't been down in a few months.

Mike

Awesome! Thanks for the info on the new site. I'm planning on joining Young's as soon as this vacation comes around. Hopefully I can get enough time away from home and work to make it worth it. Thanks Again..

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RC2125</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Might head over in the a.m. / Mike, 243ai built yet? </div></div>

Ryan,

I put the build on hold for now. I have some medical bills I need to pay off. I fractured my lower pelvis and two tail bones in mid February.

I just need a barrel and smith work to get it running. You been shooting down at Young's much?

What you shooting these days?

Going to be home on leave in the Jackson and Adrian Area in August. Is there anywhere to shoot at any type of distance in those areas?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Niles Coyote</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Young's Long Shot has a new member
grin.gif

</div></div>

Do they have a new website ? I was tring to find there hours and charges.
Thanks Ed

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Easy_E</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Niles Coyote</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Young's Long Shot has a new member
grin.gif

</div></div>

Do they have a new website ? I was tring to find there hours and charges.
Thanks Ed </div></div>

That was the new one. I see it is down again, it was working fine last week...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SuperSeal110</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RC2125</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Might head over in the a.m. / Mike, 243ai built yet? </div></div>

Ryan,

I put the build on hold for now. I have some medical bills I need to pay off. I fractured my lower pelvis and two tail bones in mid February.

I just need a barrel and smith work to get it running. You been shooting down at Young's much?

What you shooting these days? </div></div>

Sorry to hear that, I was outa commision most of the summer from a couple surgeries, tore up my right knee at work and also got some old bullet fragments removed while they were in there diggin around in the same knee, hope ya get all healed up ok.

Been down there a few times here lately, had to see what the new scar rifle could do and get a sako 17hmr all dialed in, still runnin the same 243.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Re25</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Does anybody go to Thunder vally in OH to shoot or do matches? </div></div>

Not yet. Definitely on the agenda for this spring. Also looking to try Rayners and Youngs this spring ....

I'm curious about two things, if you don't mind:
1) Does anyone shoot at the south kent sportsmans club (sksc.org)?

2) Does anyone shoot just out on public land? I was reading the manistee national forest web page—specifically checking to see if recreational shooting was allowed—and it is, outside of hunting season and such. I'm still hesitant to just go out there (or elsewhere) and shoot though.

-Steve

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: biglakesrule</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm curious about two things, if you don't mind: 1) Does anyone shoot at the south kent sportsmans club (sksc.org)?
2) Does anyone shoot just out on public land? I was reading the manistee national forest web page—specifically checking to see if recreational shooting was allowed—and it is, outside of hunting season and such. I'm still hesitant to just go out there (or elsewhere) and shoot though.</div></div>1) Yes. Many do.

2) Yes. But the use of public land can surface some issues when it is used for long-range shooting. Remember, you are responsible for the path your bullet takes and where it ends up.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Graham</div><div class="ubbcode-body">2) Yes. But the use of public land can surface some issues when it is used for long-range shooting. Remember, you are responsible for the path your bullet takes and where it ends up.</div></div>

I'm after the precedent, for lack of a better term. You addressed that; thanks!

I do anything over 200 up north in the oscoda area in a clear cut. Might have to find a new one since it is getting a little over grown. Usually shoot on the power lines as well after driving up and down them to check for ORV trails.

Would like to find a long range mentor here in MI is anyone is interested.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: biglakesrule</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm curious about two things, if you don't mind:
1) Does anyone shoot at the south kent sportsmans club (sksc.org)?

2) Does anyone shoot just out on public land? I was reading the manistee national forest web page—specifically checking to see if recreational shooting was allowed—and it is, outside of hunting season and such. I'm still hesitant to just go out there (or elsewhere) and shoot though.

-Steve </div></div>

I just talked to a gunsmith/shop owner in Manistee about this, apparently there is parts of forest you can and can't shoot on. I can't remember what exactly the stipulations were but I will find out. However, I do know of some excellent places to shoot in the Manistee Nat. Forest. Long power lines where you would be shooting into a hill. You just have to keep in mind that there are many dirt roads and trails throughout.

Reading on the parks (or forest or whatever they call it) web page also hits on the fact that there are areas you can and can't either shoot or hunt, etc. I didn't pay attention to a specific location at the time. Thanks much for the info/link!

if your talking about state lands most are posted with signs that's okay if a certain area is open to shooting or closed during a certain section of the calendar year. I have yet to see any such times up the national forest up north