• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Mid-power FFP scope for very close ranges?

Aakoo

Private
Minuteman
May 4, 2022
Scandinavia
First post and immediately asking (for trouble?)..

I'm in the middle of building 2 rifles, and haven't found "the perfect" scope/s. Yet. Thus asking for help / recommendations.

1st rifle is Tikka T3x .308 in Bifrost. This will be shot close-mid ranges, most often between 100-300, absolute max (but rarely) 500-600. Mostly range and stalking / sneaking around the year.

I think that something below / max 20 power would be good compromise between size/weight/power for this. Been eyeing

- Steiner M5Xi 3-15x50
- Leupold Mark 5HD 3.6-18x44
- Nightforce ATACR 4-16x42

But it's the 2nd rifle that causes the problem.

It is going to be Tikka T1x .22lr. As identical copy of the bigger rifle as possible. Same Bifrost stock, same accessories and, if possible, same scope.

Longer shooting ranges are pretty rare here, it takes time and effort to be able to access one, so I want a "trainer", because I can shoot .22lr at home, in my own yard. Challenge being, I will only be shooting at targets 10 - 30 meters away.

Is any of the scopes I mentioned able to focus this close? Let's say that it would not have to perform under 15, but anything farther away than that, yes..

Or is there some other scope I should consider?

Thank you so much!

Check out the Burris xtr3. Focuses down to 25yds. I have the 3-18 on my 22 and a 5-30 on my 223 and have a pro coming. I looked through a pro at a match and went home and sold my Kahles.

Especially at the Cameraland sale price it’s impossible to beat in my opinion

When looking for scopes and how close you can clear up an image, check the specs for the parralax adjustment range. The ATACR you have listed only has a minimum parralax range of 45 yards.

B9F2DED4-F15F-4F8A-B3EF-50FCE2721BBB.jpeg

The Nightforce NX8 4-32x has a minimum parralax of 11 yards so that might be a better bet for what you're doing.

6E97B4DD-2BD9-4B0B-81DC-DEB392CFFA87.jpeg

I started moving away from FFP scopes for hunting rifles because the reticle is usually on the smaller end at low magnification. I'm also never going to use the reticle for holds where I hunt and if I did happen to find a long enough distance to shoot I'd probably be on the highest magnification where the subtensions are calibrated anyway. User preference on FFP vs SFP. For me, hunting rifles = SFP scopes and tactical rifles = FFP scopes.

Attachments

• 641647D3-E492-4499-9354-8845D8070252.jpeg
    641647D3-E492-4499-9354-8845D8070252.jpeg
    321.2 KB · Views: 67
Reactions: camocorvette
Burris XTR3, NX8, Athlon Eres 3-18x50 all focus to less than 30yards.
The latter two focuses down to 10yards.

I have an ATACR 4-16x42 and really like it.

Still, for what you describe, the NX8 2.5-20 or 4-32 might be a better choice.

The illum is very bright, making the reticle visible on low power when hunting. FOV on the 20x is wider than the ATACR on 16x. The 10 meter parallax min also will work well with your 22.

Maybe the same scope on both rifles. Maybe one of each?

I run the 18x XTRIII on my 22 Rimfire. It's been perfect in that role.

Huge FOV, 25 yd parallax, and 35 mils of elevation.

I combine this with the Burris Signature Series rings to give me 50 moa of cant. I can dial 30 mils of elevation, which takes me to 500 yards without needing holdover.

Last edited:
Check out the Burris xtr3. Focuses down to 25yds. I have the 3-18 on my 22 and a 5-30 on my 223 and have a pro coming. I looked through a pro at a match and went home and sold my Kahles.

Especially at the Cameraland sale price it’s impossible to beat in my opinion

Oh how I wish I could access your stores. But I'm located in Finland, and in addition to the pain of paying WAY higher prices, Burris is not really sold here, though I have no idea why. In cameraland it is $999.99 (€950) at the moment. Optics-trade.eu has it listed for €2419 ($2545)..

When looking for scopes and how close you can clear up an image, check the specs for the parralax adjustment range. The ATACR you have listed only has a minimum parralax range of 45 yards.

Yes. I might have not been clear enough, but one idea behind my question was to possibly get some real life experiences about those parallax adjustments. I've heard that some scopes that are listed as 50m (in Europe) are actually OK down to 25 or so. IF NT ATACR 4-16 would also "come down" like that it'd start to make way more sense..

Burris XTR3, NX8, Athlon Eres 3-18x50 all focus to less than 30yards.
The latter two focuses down to 10yards.

I have browsed half of the Internet reading through NX8 reviews, and I must say I'm not confident spending that much money to a scope with such a wide base of not happy customers. Naturally it's easier to bash than to praise, but still, compared to many other scopes in the same price range, NX8 seems to receive a lot of.. not hate but.. disappointment?

Otherwise that 2.5-20 would be perfect with its super close parallax.. it's just that I have no option to try before I buy..

Your timing is excellent as we are in the middle of ourMother's Day Sale
As a long standing supporting vendor here on the forum it is our pleasure to assist in discussing different options and opportunities with you. Please give a call, 516-217-1000, when you have a few moments.

Thank you, but let me assume that you can't ship scopes to Finland ;) Stupid ITAR, restricting sales of much needed gear to a citizen of an ally nation, which is also going to be in NATO real soon. I live less than 1.5 hours drive from RUS border, I need my scopes more than you guys do :D

I have an ATACR 4-16x42 and really like it.

Still, for what you describe, the NX8 2.5-20 or 4-32 might be a better choice.

The illum is very bright, making the reticle visible on low power when hunting. FOV on the 20x is wider than the ATACR on 16x. The 10 meter parallax min also will work well with your 22.

Maybe the same scope on both rifles. Maybe one of each?

I have heard a LOT of good things about that ATACR 4-16.. if only it could come down to half of what it does..

If you have first hand experience of NX8 vs. ATACR, please, I'd gladly listen.

P.S. ATACR 4-20x50 would have parallax down to 10m, but I cannot access that scope. ATACR 7-35 also comes down to 10m, but.. imagine 7-35x56 on top of a rimfire, me shooting a target 20m away :D

I run the 18x XTRIII on my 22 Rimfire. It's been perfect in that role.

Huge FOV, 25 yd parallax, and 35 mils of elevation.

I combine this with the Burris Signature Series rings to give me 50 moa of cant. I can dial 30 mils of elevation, which takes me to 500 yards without needing holdover.

No Burris here, unfortunately. For that 999 I'd gladly order one. Or two.

There are few scopes I can get my hands on for pretty OK prices, like Nightforce ATACR 4-16 F1 and Steiner M5Xi 3-15x50. Both would cost just under $2500. Maybe I just have to let go of my "trainer rifle" idea, and buy some less than stellar crap for the rimfire.

But before I give up, one more question:

Nightforce SHV 4-14x50 F1 has parallax rating of down to 25 yards. Anyone tried this one, would it work any closer.. ?

Reactions: Birddog6424
I have a Nightforce NX8 4-32 Mil-XT on my air rifle and I really like it. The parallax adjustments are forgiving so it’s easy to focus in on targets closer than 100 yards quickly. I bought the rifle setup to shoot in my yard since I only have 6 acres and neighbors which makes shooting centerfire and rimfire too risky for me. I can get out 100+ yards with it and I have been impressed with the turrets thus far. Not the clearest glass and it’s definitely a step down from the 7-35 ATACR but well above my Vortex Strike Eagle.

I have browsed half of the Internet reading through NX8 reviews, and I must say I'm not confident spending that much money to a scope with such a wide base of not happy customers. Naturally it's easier to bash than to praise, but still, compared to many other scopes in the same price range, NX8 seems to receive a lot of.. not hate but.. disappointment?

I have heard a LOT of good things about that ATACR 4-16.. if only it could come down to half of what it does..

P.S. ATACR 4-20x50 would have parallax down to 10m, but I cannot access that scope. ATACR 7-35 also comes down to 10m, but.. imagine 7-35x56 on top of a rimfire, me shooting a target 20m away :D

Nightforce SHV 4-14x50 F1 has parallax rating of down to 25 yards. Anyone tried this one, would it work any closer.. ?

I'm aware of the opinions about the NX8, especially the 2.5-20. Still, I own two 2.5-20s, but no 4-32s yet. The depth of field is smaller with the NX8s. I haven't had this hold me back, to my knowledge. My summary on the NX8s - and the reason I own these - is that they do lots of things well. My own limitations certainly hold me back more than the scopes do in the areas where they are less than perfect.

The ATACR 4-16 has a very forgiving optical presentation that makes it superior in glass performance. This is why it's my favorite scope and on a gun that I want to be most flexible in use.

Overall size between the 2.5-20 and 4-16 is so similar that it shouldn't be considered unless you want to put the 2.5-20 on a long action gun. Mounting length is more generous with the 4-16 (as well as the 4-32).

I have one SHV 4-14F1 on a hunting rifle. It was on a 22lr for a bit before that, and I was comfortable using it to around 20 yards. It's better than many scopes out there, but is more spartan than the NX8/ATACR in execution. I would buy it without reservation, if that was the limit of my budget.

I'd compare these to the other scopes you've been considering, but I have little experience with those.

Oh how I wish I could access your stores. But I'm located in Finland, and in addition to the pain of paying WAY higher prices, Burris is not really sold here, though I have no idea why. In cameraland it is $999.99 (€950) at the moment. Optics-trade.eu has it listed for €2419 ($2545)..

Yes. I might have not been clear enough, but one idea behind my question was to possibly get some real life experiences about those parallax adjustments. I've heard that some scopes that are listed as 50m (in Europe) are actually OK down to 25 or so. IF NT ATACR 4-16 would also "come down" like that it'd start to make way more sense..

Otherwise that 2.5-20 would be perfect with its super close parallax.. it's just that I have no option to try before I buy..

Thank you, but let me assume that you can't ship scopes to Finland ;) Stupid ITAR, restricting sales of much needed gear to a citizen of an ally nation, which is also going to be in NATO real soon. I live less than 1.5 hours drive from RUS border, I need my scopes more than you guys do :D

No Burris here, unfortunately. For that 999 I'd gladly order one. Or two.

There are few scopes I can get my hands on for pretty OK prices, like Nightforce ATACR 4-16 F1 and Steiner M5Xi 3-15x50. Both would cost just under $2500. Maybe I just have to let go of my "trainer rifle" idea, and buy some less than stellar crap for the rimfire.

There are places in the US that will export, just depends on your importing rules.

I live in New Zealand and have bought a few scopes overseas, can still save a small fortune even with shippind taxes.

There are places in the US that will export, just depends on your importing rules.

I live in New Zealand and have bought a few scopes overseas, can still save a small fortune even with shippind taxes.
I don't know how much your duties and taxes are, but for me.. example:

$2500 scope
$150 insured shipping
$124.66 import duty (4.7 %)
$665.89 value added tax

Makes $2500 scope a $3440 scope

Year ago 3440 USD was about 2785 EUR, now it is 3298 EUR.

Well, no-one claimed this is a cheap hobby 😬

Anyways, I have, possibly, made up my mind.

NF ATACR 4-16x42 F1 Mil-XT for T3x .308
NF NX8 2.5-20x50 F1 Mil-XT for T1x .22lr

I would have gone with 2 x ATACR, but I really need to be able to focus down to ~20 meters with the rimfire..

I'm going to be on bread and water for quite some time after these aquisitions, so let's hope I'll be happy.

Thanks for all the answers I got!

I don't know how much your duties and taxes are, but for me.. example:

$2500 scope
$150 insured shipping
$124.66 import duty (4.7 %)
$665.89 value added tax

Makes $2500 scope a $3440 scope

Year ago 3440 USD was about 2785 EUR, now it is 3298 EUR.

Well, no-one claimed this is a cheap hobby 😬

Anyways, I have, possibly, made up my mind.

NF ATACR 4-16x42 F1 Mil-XT for T3x .308
NF NX8 2.5-20x50 F1 Mil-XT for T1x .22lr

I would have gone with 2 x ATACR, but I really need to be able to focus down to ~20 meters with the rimfire..

I'm going to be on bread and water for quite some time after these aquisitions, so let's hope I'll be happy.

Thanks for all the answers I got!
I need to pay 15% tax on imports over 1000NZD and about 100NZD shipping, but the mark up on optics from the importers is so crazy it's still cheaper to import myself.

If you are set on a Nightforce you're kinda screwed anyway as it's hard to get a discounted price from a US retailer and most can't ship NF anyway.

I don't know what sort of prices you have to pay in Finland for NF vs Schmidt and Bender or other European scopes.
Just bear in mind many recommendations for US shooters are influenced by the price they pay for optics, if for example a 3-20 S&B was the same price as an NX8 2.5-20 it'd be a no brainer to go with the S&B.

Not sure if that comparison works or not but hopefully you get what I'm saying.

You can always check out opticstrade.eu being based in Europe atleast you know they accuracy so to you.

I need to pay 15% tax on imports over 1000NZD and about 100NZD shipping, but the mark up on optics from the importers is so crazy it's still cheaper to import myself.

If you are set on a Nightforce you're kinda screwed anyway as it's hard to get a discounted price from a US retailer and most can't ship NF anyway.

I don't know what sort of prices you have to pay in Finland for NF vs Schmidt and Bender or other European scopes.
Just bear in mind many recommendations for US shooters are influenced by the price they pay for optics, if for example a 3-20 S&B was the same price as an NX8 2.5-20 it'd be a no brainer to go with the S&B.

Not sure if that comparison works or not but hopefully you get what I'm saying.

You can always check out opticstrade.eu being based in Europe atleast you know they accuracy so to you.
Easiest way to see what's available here and at what price is to check out

finnaccuracy.com/pages/webshop

They are "the expert" around here and also run a shop.

As you can see from the price.. Steiner M5Xi Military 3-15x50 0.1mrad CW MSR2 would have been my obvious choice.. if only it would be able to focus closer 🙁