• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Mid- Tier Bino recommendations

Bandit31

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Feb 6, 2018
Bakersfield, Ca
Money is going to be tight for some time so looking for some "budget" bino's to get through the a couple hunts this year and maybe serve as a backup down the road. With .mil pricing all these are close enough in price, just wanted to hear if there is any first hand experience or recommendations for some other 10x50 or 10x42.

Right now I'm looking at the Bushnell Forge 10x42, Riton X5 Primal 10x42, and the Athlon Cronus G2 10x42.

I just picked up a pair of Athlon Midas 12x50's from Doug at Cameraland on his recommendation for my price point and so far I have been real impressed by them. According to Athlon they have the same glass as the Cronus, but maybe not a few of the other exterior features for a reduced price.

Reactions: Bandit31
Bushnell Legend Ultra 10x42 HD. Just the right size and not too heavy. Bright clear and easy on eyeglass wearer like myself. Very inexpensive less than $200 with tax out the door. Might not be your cup of tea but these binos have impressed some high dollar birders in South Texas. Well all but the Swarovski owners.

I've used the Bushnell Forge 10x to spot out to 1200 with 6 Dashers. The target was a bit shadowed, which made 1200 a bit tricky to spot, but it worked (Caveat - I have a *lot* of time on glass. Probably more than I'd wanna admit at this point...). The 15x models are a significant step up in detection ability, though. The 15s are what I personally haul around at matches because of that, but they add a good bit to cost and weight.

Call and we will hook you up with a Meopta 10x42 Optika. Great glass under $300.00
Thanks Doug. I'll look into that model and reach out if it's the one.

I've used the Bushnell Forge 10x to spot out to 1200 with 6 Dashers. The target was a bit shadowed, which made 1200 a bit tricky to spot, but it worked (Caveat - I have a *lot* of time on glass. Probably more than I'd wanna admit at this point...). The 15x models are a significant step up in detection ability, though. The 15s are what I personally haul around at matches because of that, but they add a good bit to cost and weight.

I don't need that much magnification with the 15's for now. Maybe down the road I'll look into them but for now I think the 10x will fit all the roles I need for the time being.

I don't need that much magnification with the 15's for now. Maybe down the road I'll look into them but for now I think the 10x will fit all the roles I need for the time being.

Since you seem to be mainly looking at hunting, I can get that - especially with the size and weight difference. The 10x Forges still look great, though.

thought I would bump this.. to see how they compare to the Vortex viper 10x42.. or the zeiss tera ED 10x42. I can get my hands on the vortex and zeiss easily. and use that as my benchmark I want somthing that good or better.. the viper and the Tera seemed about the same opticly to my eyes .. in Cabellas lol..

but the Vortex warranty and veterans discount gave it the edge..

looks like the best thing to do is just call Doug lol

Last edited:
Throwing this out there...

but for me the meopta meostar hd 10x42 are a bino worth owning. Can find them pretty regularly 550-650$ and they are absolute stud bino’s.

personally I’d buy bushnel ultra elite HD 8x42 for a bit less then 100$ and wait until the meostars are in the budget if 600$ is pushing it.

Reactions: daylate
but for me the meopta meostar hd 10x42 are a bino worth owning. Can find them pretty regularly 550-650$ and they are absolute stud bino’s.
Any idea where these are in the $600 range? The HD is the newest plus version correct?

Any idea where these are in the $600 range? The HD is the newest plus version correct?

hd is long in the tooth nowadays but still stellar. The newer version has locking diopter otherwise the same bino.

As for finding them.check eBay and rokslide classifieds. Have bought 3 now all less then 600$.

Reactions: Maveroid