• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Fieldcraft Mil-Dot estimation Challenge

NBLongRanger

Private
Minuteman
Sep 17, 2009
Less than 1000yrds from you
As it was suggested in a picture, We should start a thread where a Mildot-Scope-Cam picture of a target is posted and we guess it's actually range.

Here's the First image.
ubbthreads.php

Re: Mil-Dot estimation Challenge

Whats the target size?

We might need that to gain range yes?

John

Wish this was in a IPHY scope.

I don't know mils at all, but converting what little I know, I get 2468 meters or 2700 yds

Took roof line to ground at 9 feet/3.6 then removed 10% as it looks like it would only subtend .9 mil

Wish the retical was closer to being level or plum with the house.

<span style="font-style: italic">2,750 meters / 3,007 yards (checked on google earth)</span>

More of a reading test than anything for me.

Be very wary of using power/utility poles for reference, we use a wide range of heights and depth settings depending on conditions

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lindy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Judging by the mil measurement of the doorway height, I calculate that it's too far to shoot. Call for artillery or air.
</div></div>

+1 lol

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: longeyes</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Be very wary of using power/utility poles for reference, we use a wide range of heights and depth settings depending on conditions</div></div>

After planting many, working on/around them, with some reference on/around them (like a 50kva can/xarm/etc) I think they can be judged closely in some cases. Largest "known" size object avail that I could see.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cinosbus</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><span style="font-style: italic">2,750 meters / 3,007 yards (checked on google earth)</span>

More of a reading test than anything for me. </div></div>

LOL I didn't even bother to range estimate since he already told us....

Yes it's 3000 +/-10 yards

And for those who complained about me not giving a reference size... in real life you don't get one either...And it's a building, think about it for a second.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lindy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Judging by the mil measurement of the doorway height, I calculate that it's too far to shoot. Call for artillery or air.
</div></div>

Plausible:
Cheytacm200 .408 305grn .940BC
3000yrds
MOAdrop:-57.8
MilDrop:-16.8
ft-lbs:2039.5
flight-time:3.639

20 or 30 MOA rail + 30 to 50MOA elevation scope "could" zero for 3000yrds.

I get 555 yds. figuring the width of the dogs head is roughly 5 inches across....using one Mil-dot for my calculation....

Average coyote is about 24" tall when sitting. that's what you might see if you are on level ground. Now looking down at it from this angle I esimate 20" to 22"........555 to 611 I'm going to call it 583 yards.

611, if the target is 22 in. tall. 27.778 x target height in inch. = 611.116/mils which I guess at exactly 1 mil, equals 611

I come up with roughly 630yds.

Given that it is a sitting coyote.

My first glance I thought prairie dog, but I don't see any dirt mounds around.

Shit, I thought that was a friggin deer. Threw my calculations way off. I'd have put that round a good couple of feet over it's head.

Edited to add: Is that the Gap mil reticle? If it is, I think I may be getting that on my next scope. I really like that.

the pic of the house I took was at 45x mag through the bushnell FFP spotter.

next time I go out i'll get a few more. probably wednesday this week lads.

Man....some of you guys are spot on...the coyote was 543 meters, or 593 yards. It was laser ranged with a Vector IV.

Coyotes come in a variety of sizes...this one turned out to be a large male...he weighed 29 lbs.

The rifle is a Surgeon 6XC...the scope is a 4-16X50 S&B PMII. Thats a gen II reticle.

Looks like 583 yards is pretty close. If I told you I ranged the house at 3011 yards you would probably call BS, but thats what I called that one. Lets see more of these. I will try and get some pictures of my gong out in the desert soon.

This is what I do:

First I asign a mil value to a specific area on an object.In the case of the house, from the ground to the eve.
I called it .9 mil.
Then I asign a value in inchs to the .9 mil area.
I walked around my house and measured several spots 95" to 100". I don't have this stuff written down in a book.
Then I do the math......X" x 27.778 /.9 and take an average. I think that taking an average and making several calculations will get a more accurate read on the range esspecialy on very small or very distant targets.
Plus I am sitting at my desk in a nice warm house and have plenty of time to work this out and I am not trying to hold my scope still while making a judgement on the mil value.

This works for me.

I think I'm going to stick with 3472 yards based on my observation that the only clear, unobstructed (by vegetation) place to measure something of known value is the corner of the house just above the right 2nd. mildot. Measuring to the middle of the fascia to allow for the 18" overhang a standard height wall is 96" plus a 4" for the slab = 100" and I get .8 mil. 100 x 27.778 / .8 = 3472.25 yards. Lindy's right, call in the artillery.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: NBLongRanger</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yes it's 3000 +/-10 yards

And for those who complained about me not giving a reference size... in real life you don't get one either...And it's a building, think about it for a second.

Plausible:
Cheytacm200 .408 305grn .940BC
3000yrds
MOAdrop:-57.8
MilDrop:-16.8
ft-lbs:2039.5
flight-time:3.639

20 or 30 MOA rail + 30 to 50MOA elevation scope "could" zero for 3000yrds.

</div></div>

You really should not type about what you do not know or understand.
For example that 305gr projectile you listed is ONLY for 1000yards and closer. It is not designed for distance. O and the BC you listed is for the 419gr projectile and not the 305gr one. FWIW Cheytac doesn't even list the BC for the 305gr projectile on their site. They even have disclaimer of why and what that 305gr bullet is meant for.

There are rifle and cartridge systems that can make that 3000yard shot without "calling artillery" but NOT the one you give for the example and plausible solution.

Thank

Here you go from Cheytac site:

®
CheyTac .408 Ammunition Specification Sheet
.408 CHEYTAC CALIBER
419 bullet:
Reloader 22
Magnum rifle primer
Bullet diameter: .4077"
Copper nickel alloy
Overall cartridge length: 4.307
Velocity: 2900 fps
198 rounds per ammo can
Ballistic Coefficient: .094 (avg. over 3500 yards)
.408 CHEYTAC CALIBER
305 grain bullet:
Reloader 19
Magnum rifle primer
Diameter: .4077
Copper nickel alloy
Overall cartridge length: 4.100"
Velocity: 3450 fps
198 rds. per can
BC is not applicable since this round is only meant to go 1000 yds.
and closer at a high rate of speed and MINIMUM max. ord.

I estimate him at just over 1 mil at 22" tall i got 556yards