• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Fieldcraft Mil-Dot estimation Challenge

Re: Mil-Dot estimation Challenge

OK, I went up to the target boards and measured again. The far target measures 18.5 at the left side and 19.5 at the extreme right side and 19.25" at the right edge of the paper. The 12" and 9.625" plates are at the same range as the target board.

The near 48" target board has a 12" plate to it's left.

Use the vertical crosshair to mil. The horizontal is out of whack.

DSC_0437-1-1.jpg

New info:
19.5" @ 350 yards
48" @ 305 yards....up the side
Is the 48" measured up the side or across the top ?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 264shooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">New info:
Is the 48" measured up the side or across the top ? </div></div>

up the side

18.5" calculated at 342y
48" calculated at 303y

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 264shooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">New info:
19.5" @ 350 yards
48" @ 305 yards....up the side
Is the 48" measured up the side or across the top ? </div></div>

I got the same numbers.

GPS has the far target board (19.25") @ 350 yards
Near target board (48") @ 299 yards

They were measured w/ a 100' tape when installed back in the 70's @ 300 and 350 yards

Looks like everyone got within minute of crow.

Here's a good one:
NF 3.5x15 @15x MLR reticle
steel plate and a 55 gallon drum up hill at a 10 degree angle
across the top of the plate measures 24" since that is the only clear edge to get a good read.

1.I want the distance to the plate.
2.I want the hieght of the barrel.( if you go out in the garage with a tape and measure a barrel you will be wrong)
3.I want the horizontal distance to the targets.
4.I want to see your solutions. As a learnig aid for everyone.
sl5gl3.jpg

Here's the big picture:

iei1z7.jpg

Its been a while but how about 858yds flat line or 871yds before factoring in the cosine, I'm using the drum figuring its 34.5" tall with a mil reading of 1.1, I should have read the whole post I'm probably wrong on the barrel but with the plate I get a mil reading of .7 with an actual distance of 952yds and a flat line of 937yds. Forgot to add I am using a cosine of roughly .98.

large male that weighed 29lb? man thats small my uncle got a large blonde one last week that weighed 70lbs, he took the shot at this one but couldnt get a shot at the bigger one

Using the height of a standard 55 gal drum as :34-3/4" I get 877.53yd to the drum. Can someone explain a cosine formula? I understand the theory, just not quite sure how to use it for long range shooting.

Every angle has a cosine once you work out your ranging formula multiply your total distance by the cosine to get your flatline distance which is what you will use for your elevation adjustment.

After reading the post, I'm getting 953.14 to the steel plate making the barrel about 36" tall, line of sight only. I do not know the formula to factor in the angle.

so one needs to figure out the angle from his position to the target then find the cosine of the angle? sorry trying to understand lol. Is there a tool to help gauge the angle or is this something you need to master mentally?

Angle cosine indicator, or a slope doper, or if you want to be really cheap you can use a protractor tie a string in the middle then tie a rock to the end of the string. But in my opinion the ACI is the only way to go.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: vc8541</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Angle cosine indicator, or a slope doper, or if you want to be really cheap you can use a protractor tie a string in the middle then tie a rock to the end of the string. But in my opinion the ACI is the only way to go. </div></div>
You guys are fast tonight, yeah what he said....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">if you want to be really cheap you can use a protractor tie a string in the middle then tie a rock to the end of the string.</div></div>
lol

I get 952 horizontal ( thanks internet ) 38" barrel height. Dial in to shoot 975. Think I have seen this barrel before.

I got 888.64 yards using 24" and 0.75 mils.

Horizontal distance between the two is 55.94 inches. (3.6 x 8.88 x 1.75 mil)

The scope is a Zeiss Conquest 4.5x14 power. In the picture I am on 10x. And the scope is a SFP recticle. Lets see if ya'll can guess the range to the feeder.

DSCI0710.jpg

Here is an overview picture.
DSCI0714.jpg

wjwill,
Is 10x the correct power for ranging with your scope ?
I can only find info on a 4.5X14 Conquest.
Can't find 4.5X15.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 264shooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">wjwill,
Is 10x the correct power for ranging with your scope ?
I can only find info on a 4.5X14 Conquest.
Can't find 4.5X15. </div></div>

let me fix that... it is a 14 instead of a 15. lol

Not sure if 10x is the correct power for ranging or not.

A FFP scope will let you range at any power setting.
SFP has a designated power setting to range with.
It can be done, but not the handiest way to do it.
There is some extra math involved.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 264shooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">A FFP scope will let you range at any power setting.
SFP has a designated power setting to range with.
It can be done, but not the handiest way to do it.
There is some extra math involved. </div></div>

So what ya come up with for the range?

There is a minimum amount of information you have to have to range a target with any accuracy.
But if I use a feeder height of 5' and 7.5 mil I get 222 yards.
6' and 7.5 mil i get 266 yards
That's without knowing if your scope is set to the right power and not knowing the height of the target.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 264shooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">There is a minimum amount of information you have to have to range a target with any accuracy.
But if I use a feeder height of 5' and 7.5 mil I get 222 yards.
6' and 7.5 mil i get 266 yards
That's without knowing if your scope is set to the right power and not knowing the height of the target. </div></div>

Longer range than that.

I'll play with a good pic......my buddy doing a good job posing! By the way, he is 6'3" & my scope is on 14x....The horizontal crosshair is a tad above his feet...maybe by the top of his boots.

1400ydsfullbody.jpg

For the plate and drum.

1. 24" = 609.6mm at .65mil 609.6/.65 = 937.8m away
2. drum is 1.1mil at 937.8m away 937.8*1.1= 1032mm tall
3. horizontal dist to target at 10 deg (cos?=a/h) cos10=a/937.8=923.5m horizontal dist to target

Imperial
1025 yards away
drum 40.6 inches tall
1010yards horizontal dist away

hopefully i got this right?

I just did a little "PaintShop" on the original photo to zoom in on the Mil-Dots to make it easier to see....hope it helps some.

1400ydsfullbody3.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SnkBit</div><div class="ubbcode-body">OK so it is a cop by a police cruiser,LMAO! 1.5mil @ 1334yds </div></div>

Yeah lol, he probably shouldn't point a gun at the officer! :p