• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Fieldcraft Mil-Dot estimation Challenge

Re: Mil-Dot estimation Challenge

Don't worry....he's used to be my partner at work before he left for another agency. He's one of my closest friends & is usually my spotter when I shoot. He agreed to pose for me for this shot.....but only after he took my bolt with him....LOL!

Here are the solutions for the plate and the barrel.

This was ranged with a Leica Geovid and Google Earth.

Answers:
1...952 yards
2...barrel is 34.28' tall
3...937 yards horizontal distance for elevation corection with a .985 cos

24' plate
24x27.778=666.67
666.67/.7 mil= 952 yards

Barrel calcs. 34.28" tall
if you use the plate, you can get the height of the barrel.
24/7=3.428 inches per 1 tenth mil
If you mil the barrel at 1 mil 3.428x10=34.28"

Horizontal distance...952x.985=937yards

I will try to get more now that I have the camera figured out.

Wouldn't it work better to make the filename of the picture the distance, like "950yards_barrel.jpg"? That way nobody is waiting 3-4 days for the answer.

OK.....I guess a day is long enough wait on the LEO pic. The correct lasered distance is 1400 yards. It's a little tough to tell with the grass, mirage, etc....but several of you guys were pretty dang close!

I was using my Lupy Mk4 on 14x (max) magnification.

Nate is 6'3"....or 75 inches

(Target in inches X 27.78 / Target in Mils) = Distance in Yards....so....

75(inches)*27.78(math constant)= 2082.75/ 1.45(target in Mils) = 1436 yards......close enough for a guestimate!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 264shooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">wjwill,
Is 10x the correct power for ranging with your scope ?
I can only find info on a 4.5X14 Conquest.
Can't find 4.5X15. </div></div>

The correct answer for the feeder is 418 yards confirmed by range finder.

Wow! The 3" difference in height on the cop from what I had him figured at 72" made a 60yd range difference! I guess the further the range the larger the error rings true.

How tall is the feeder.
418 yards...7.2 mil...feeder calcs out to be 9" tall
418X7.2=3009.6/27.778=108.34/12=9.02"
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wjwill</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 264shooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">wjwill,
Is 10x the correct power for ranging with your scope ?
I can only find info on a 4.5X14 Conquest.
Can't find 4.5X15. </div></div>

The correct answer for the feeder is 418 yards confirmed by range finder. </div></div>

That sounds about right on the feeder. Most are set up where the dear cant easily jack with the spreader motor. We have to stand in the back of a pickup to fill ours.

In regards to 264's problem, this is what I got.

1. 952 yards
2. 37 inches
3. 937 yards
4. Distance to the plate is (24" x 27.778)/.7 = 952. 24" is the known measurement, 27.778 is what you multiply inches by when using mils, and .7 is the mil reading.
-Height of the barrel is (952x1.1)/27.778 = 37. 952 is the number of yards to the plate, 1.1 is the mil reading of the barrel, and divide by 27.778 to get the height of the target.
-I've never done the last calculation, but using fast and loose internet research in an attempt to learn, I got the following:
cosine of the known angle (10 degrees) multiplied by the hypotenuse (952 yards) equals the adjacent side (horizontal distance). Cos 10° = .984. 952x.984 = 936.768.

-Was I right at all?

I believe the main vehicle in the cross hairs is a Mercedes Gelandewagon which are 67" wide. I subtracted two inches from that to account for the space taken up by the two mils in the reticle. 65" for 2 mils is 900 yards. I estimated the angle to be 15 degrees, just an approximation judging the angle of the vehicle frame from the scope point of view. So taking into account the 15 degrees I estimate the distance to be 877 yards. But I'm not Marky Mark. And besides, what an extra 100 yards for hollywood? I'm sure they didn't think there would be people like us checking on their accuracy.

You guys are good i dont do exact calculations mine are all rough but i get it pretty close and i account for which direction i round and add or subtract that. This has helped me a lot.

Tag for future use.

I've been lurking here and have learned a lot from ya'll. Keep this thread going please.

Got to remember the guy is standing in grass, have to estimate where his feet end, I went with 1.4mil, 6' in lifts, 1400 yards.

rsdllk.jpg

i'll get results up tomorrow (verified by LRF)
these are 22" round steel plates

go side to side on this
2zs5f1c.jpg

now the bottom plate down by 7 mils needs to be read from side to side, while the one further back needs to be read on its verticle because of the way they are tilted.
sffa75.jpg

top pic is 800yds

2nd pic:

the plate around 6.5-7 mils down in the center is 1k

the other plate is hanging above some kinda appliance, the plate is 5 mils right and 2 up. this is 1500y.

This is good stuff. A nice way to "practice" until it warms up a little and we're able to squeeze off an afternoon's worth of .308's. Thanks for keeping this thread going, it's also one of my favorite ones to watch for sure.

I got 873 yards for the top one, taking the plate @ 0.7 mils.

In the bottom pic, I got the same for the closer of the two plates, taking it @ 0.7 mils (edit; revising that to 0.6 mils compared to the horizontal scal, 1018 yards). The top plate, 0.3 mils as fine as I can estimate, 2037 yards.

this has gotten slow so here's one.

the reticle is a bit fuzzy but you can still get it. nxs mil line reticle

48" width and height of board
9" white center circle
22" shoulder to shoulder

i like these. will try to get out soon and take some more.

100_0305.jpg

A little fuzzy but I guessed 2.1mils for the width and should have gone with 2.2 which would have been right on.

I'll have to go measure a "Dead End" sign to figure this one out...should be about 20" tho.

For 20" = 111 yards

I'm going with 208 yards.4.8 mil's That mail box is gonna be about 50 inch +/- tall. 7 mils. And if the sign is 36 inchs that'd be pretty close to 200

This is a good drill, lets keep it going.
With the weather getting nicer we should have more pictures.
Thanks