• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Mildot master but MOA instead of MILS?

utahcybercowboy

Private
Minuteman
Feb 9, 2008
Utah, Sandy
Does anyone make something like the mildot master but in moa so an moa dot/hash master? I like the idea of a slide rule instead of a calculator. I currently am using the NPR1 reticle and I think an moa slide rule would be quicker than a calculator.

Re: Mildot master but MOA instead of MILS?

You can use the right side of the mildot master to range in MOA.

You can use the existing Mildot Master with an MOA reticle.

On the right side of the Mildot Master is a slide labeled "Bullet Drop". On the left side of that slide is MOA.

Just put the target size in inches on the Bullet Drop slide opposite whatever the image size is in your scope in MOA.

Then just read the range to the target in yards opposite the Target Range arrow on the left side of the MDM.

Example: 22" target reads 5 mils in the scope. Range to the target is 420 yards.

I asked the same question long ago, and Lindy gave me the same answer, now I have come to the realization that NPR1 or MOA\MOA suck for this game, MIL\MIL is the shit to have, its an easier system to use, and its global.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 427Cobra</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I asked the same question long ago, and Lindy gave me the same answer, now I have come to the realization that NPR1 or MOA\MOA suck for this game, MIL\MIL is the shit to have, its an easier system to use, and its global. </div></div>

I currently have an NPR1 scope and I am wrestling with what I want for my next one. What makes the MIL\MIL easier to use than MOA\MOA. I have just about convinced myself that I should get mil\mil. I am still having some reservations of abandoning MOA\MOA.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Utahcybercowboy</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> What makes the MIL\MIL easier to use than MOA\MOA. </div></div>

nothing.

The only possible advantage is that a mil reticle is easier to find in a spotting scope, I think only USO offers an MOA reticle in a spotter. Otherwise, it's exactly the same methodology, so there is no other reason to switch.

1/10th MIL adjustment is equivalent to .35 MOA adjustments.

I'll stick with 1/4 MOA knobs

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Captain Kick-Ass</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'll stick with 1/4 MOA knobs </div></div>
Well said. You won't be alone.

MILs is universal, MOA is not, no two companies have the same reticles with MOA, MILs on the other hand................................

So what does 1 MOA in Canada measure?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 427Cobra</div><div class="ubbcode-body">MILs is universal, MOA is not, no two companies have the same reticles with MOA, MILs on the other hand................................</div></div>

Both MILs and MOA are universal, though some companies f*** everything up by calling IPHY adjustments MOA. Agree with nobody having the same MOA reticles, but that doesn't bother me as long as I know what I got. Hell, my favorite scope has a mil reticle and IPHY adjustments (though labeled MOA); I just can't make myself get rid of it.

We will have to sit down to some Nicky's fajitas one day and figure it all out- I'll buy.
wink.gif

there is a MOA Slide rule thing like the Mil-dot master that Jerry Newman makes or made... caused a big shit storm here because of copyright infringement issues that have been corrected since. contact him he can get you one, Seems like i gave away a couple at last years tac Pro match, CKA? maybe?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: R. Emmons</div><div class="ubbcode-body">there is a MOA Slide rule thing like the Mil-dot master that Jerry Newman makes or made... caused a big shit storm here because of copyright infringement issues that have been corrected since. contact him he can get you one, Seems like i gave away a couple at last years tac Pro match, CKA? maybe? </div></div>

Yeah I got it - it is handy.

6400 mils is equal to 360 degrees. A bit of math (like metric) to me makes the mil side of the master easier....but that's what I know. I + mils.

Awwwwwww not again........

Guys you can use the MDM for any of the three common ranging variables to match your gun. To get IPHY you need to scribe a mark above the MOA mark and color it in but it works.

The slide rule thing works.

This aint rocket science it's just a measure of angle. Now if Lindy can tell me what an attoparsec is we'll see if the MDM can do that too
grin.gif

Cheers,

Doc

The parsec ("parallax of one arcsecond", symbol pc) is a unit of length, equal to just under 31 trillion kilometres (about 19 trillion miles), or about 3.26 light-years.

"Atto" (symbol a) is a prefix in the International System of Units denoting a factor of 10^-18.

An atto-parsec, then, works out to about 1 & 7/32 inches.
laugh.gif

Shall we measure muzzle velocity in furlongs per microfortnight?

Hi, Doc!

6400 work in artillery and it works in guns. Have fun doing frog hair math!!!!!!!!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lindy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The parsec ("parallax of one arcsecond", symbol pc) is a unit of length, equal to just under 31 trillion kilometres (about 19 trillion miles), or about 3.26 light-years.

"Atto" (symbol a) is a prefix in the International System of Units denoting a factor of 10^-18.

laugh.gif

Hi, Doc!
</div></div>

Hi Lindy!!!
grin.gif

1 7/32" at what range?

If at 100yards then the MDM can be used!!!!

I figure you'd have to scribe the line about 5/32" + 3 SCH's below the MOA line.
laugh.gif

Cheers,

Doc

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lindy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The parsec ("parallax of one arcsecond", symbol pc) is a unit of length, equal to just under 31 trillion kilometres (about 19 trillion miles), or about 3.26 light-years.

laugh.gif

Hi, Doc!
</div></div>

Do NOT encourage the Lindy!
Just leave him be and he will leave us be.
If he ever releases all the obscure things in his head the universe will collapse.
Please don't ask what an arcanamaven is.......someone will lose an eye.

Rule number two: Don't ask Boltripper about scales....EVER!
Rule number three: Never mention Stieners or break-in around Nobody.
Rule four: E=mc2......(still refining this one)

I AM kidding, of course.
laugh.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">6400 work in artillery and it works in guns. Have fun doing frog hair math!!!!!!!!!</div></div>

This is Sniper's Hide, not The Firebase.

Mil scopes use true milliradians - except for the Leupold M3A, which has a 6400 reticle, but adjusted in MOA.

Doc - the parsec is a unit of linear measurement, not angle.

If I am not too late for class; I'd like to ask Lindy a question? Lindy since you mentioned the M3A; what is your take on the combination it provides?

It's a good scope, but I prefer a bit higher magnification in a variable scope, around 15X. I think 4-16 or 3-15 is a good magnification range for a sniper scope.

I am with the tape measure guy, You guys definitely spent more time in class than I did. WOW

Agree...but the math is close, yes....just divide many times. Lagarithms rule!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: chain</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I am with the tape measure guy, You guys definitely spent more time in class than I did. WOW </div></div>

Oh wait untill the Mil / MOA / IPHY arguments (discussions) get into ballistics. THEN it gets fun.

When somebody drops a decimal point,........they will die. Giggle
grin.gif

Cheers,

Doc