• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

MIlitary Dogs Need Our Help

IronMaidenFan

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 19, 2012
Palm Beach, Florida
Each branch of the Armed Forces uses military working dogs (MWDs) in service to the country. Many of these intelligent, loyal animals serve alongside our soldiers in Iraq and Afghanistan, where they have prevented countless injuries and saved lives.

Unfortunately, these heroic dogs are currently classified as “equipment” by the U.S. Department of Defense. This classification not only trivializes these animals’ contributions, it also makes it difficult to transport dogs serving in foreign lands back to the United States for adoption once they’re ready for civilian life.

The Canine Members of the Armed Forces Act will remedy this issue by reclassifying MWDs as “canine members of the armed forces” and instituting programs to assist with their placement and veterinary care after retirement from service—all without using federal funds. This legislation seems like a no-brainer, and yet the bill has only seven cosponsors in the Senate.

What You Can Do
We need to generate greater support for the Canine Members of the Armed Forces Act in the U.S. Senate. Please visit the ASPCA Advocacy Center online right now to email your two U.S. senators in Washington, D.C., and urge them to cosponsor the bill.

Thank you, advocates, for standing up for America’s military working dogs.

Go to:
http://www.aspca.org/militarydogs

Re: MIlitary Dogs Need Our Help

You can get these dogs in country and take them home on your own expense. When I was here last year we adopted an old fella that is out of his prime. One of the guys here paid to take him home as he came with a passport and all paperwork. Chucky came from the Kennels either at Alamo or Phoenix, I do not remember exactly.

Either way, sent cause they deserve to be back in the US.

Cost us about $1200.00 from our personal bank account to get "Bella" stateside,and she is still a "shitbag." We felt that she fell under the catagory of "no soldier left behind," and the cost was well worth the price.

Sent to our local vets office who has a few thousand on their email list. Should definitely help get the word out.

I was suprised that I got this in an email today;

Dear Mr. Finstad:

Thank you for contacting my office. I appreciate hearing from you regarding your views on S.2134, the Canine Members of the Armed Forces Act. You will be pleased to know that I am a cosponsor of this legislation.

The views of Washingtonians are very important to my work. I will keep your thoughts in mind, and I encourage you to stay in touch. If you would like to know more about my work in the Senate, please feel free to sign up for my weekly updates at http://murray.senate.gov/public/index.cfm?p=GetEmailUpdates. Again, thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts with me.

Sincerely,
Patty Murray
United States Senator

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: camocorvette</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I was suprised that I got this in an email today;
</div></div>

It's an auto-responder. I got a similar reply email from Sen. Marco Rubio shortly after I sent him the ASPCA letter.

damn.. well hopefully more senators jump on board with this thing

This is a great cause, please provide your support.

I just sent off 6 on behalf of myself and family members then I forwarded it to everyone I know.

Please keep the ball rolling on this one

"Do not doubt or discount their duty, bravery, honor, courage or commitment as they would gladly die by our side before many other humans would ever contemplate such an act"

Just to put in another side of this story... There is a group called Vet Dogs, Veterans K9 Corp. that provides these dogs. They also provide dogs to help vets who are hurt and could use a dog to help them. It is truly amazing to see these dogs work.

I am a disabled vet that has just recently been classified FUBAR (100% and unemployable) due to my multiple injuries. I have been approved for a Service Dog that helps me walk keeping me from falling, stabilizes me on stairs, picks up things for me like my cane, phone, Alerts family members I have fallen, turns on lights, etc. This is a VA Entitlement if you qualify. The VA pays for the dog, training, and vet care. Not food or toys.

It takes aprox. 6 months of training after the dog has reached an age of 12-18 months. Someone has to raise these dogs. These dogs that you are talking about that come back from war make excellent dogs for vets that need dogs such as me.

They are so highly trained already that the transition is easy for some of them. Some are too old and just need to retire. Some are aggressive and can only be used for hospital work, or retirement. They have approximately an 8 year working span.

So, bringing them back is not just good for the dog, it is good for our vets that could still use the dog such as a service dog, for rehab, or in the hospitals for mental health, etc. These dogs are worth up to $20K after two years of work, raising, and training are put into them. They do not come cheap or easy.

Check out this link for more info. VetDogs

Emailed Sen in Al This would be a great way to put Washington's $ to work.

Just got my dog home. I had to go through 13 days 24/7 training to learn how to command the dog before they signed me off on it. VA pays for the dogs vet bills.

My brother Cpt Jarod Hanson of the Army vet core is serving in Afghanistan right now taking care of these warriors when need be. These are very special animals and need a home.

Please help them return to civilian lfe.