• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Military Fakers - Fake Snipers

Re: Military Fakers - Fake Snipers

So you obviously gave them something to vet... they didn't just "take your word for it" ... after all vetting implies just that, it wasn't a rubber stamp to join.

Kraig,

Don't worry about what folks think or don't think about a piece of paper, like the old saying "It don't mean nutin".
I had a C/O that used his desk decorations(8.5X11's) as a Chasity belt. His first day as a H/K team leader, to say he was a lost puppy at first contact, would be an understatement.
Having a title one earned is all well and good,... but when it's time to dance, a title sucks hind tit to, action/reaction.

ASA, that makes 2 of us.

ASA3.jpg

Guessing that was what you were refering to given this is about Military Snipers not LE Snipers?

From their website:
"..... Active membership is open to all graduates of the US Army Sniper School (USASS), The Special Operations Targer Interdiction Course (SOTIC), or any recognized Military Sniper School such as AMU Sniper School, local, state and federal law enforcement agents who are graduates of a law enforcement sniper school ....."

Sent in my documentation, to include military and civilian credentials, and they didn't have a problem with it.

Best of Luck,
M Richardson

Key wording :

From their website:
"..... Active membership is open to all graduates of the US Army Sniper School (USASS), The Special Operations Targer Interdiction Course (SOTIC), or any <span style="font-weight: bold">recognized</span> Military Sniper School such as AMU Sniper School, local, state and federal law enforcement agents who are graduates of a law enforcement sniper school ....."

They specify for a reason... you can't say my Staff Sgt ran a sniper course during deployment and printed me a certificate.

The USMC SS/A assigns a time in the job to it for their membership:

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Combat
All officers and enlisted men of the Armed Forces of the United States of America or her allies who did hold the MOS of 8541 while in a combat zone or who were assigned to any USMC Scout/Sniper Platoon, USMC Recon/Sniper Platoon, or held a Sniper Billet, Regular or Reserve while serving in a combat zone.

Regular
All officers and enlisted men of the Armed Forces of the United States of America or her allies who do now or did hold the MOS of 8541 OR are now serving, or who were assigned to any USMC Scout/Sniper Platoon, USMC Recon/Sniper Platoon, or held a Sniper Billet, Regular or Reserve <span style="font-weight: bold">for at least one year</span>.</div></div>

Not so easy to claim otherwise, somebody will know you at that point.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: captrichardson</div><div class="ubbcode-body">"Poser Busting",
Per above, most people who have been there and done that, don't run their mouths about it, "Quiet Professionals" was the motto. That used to hold true, but there are obviously some people now days who are publicly cashing in on their military experience for a number of reasons. As such now days, you just never know. I have seen plenty of “Poser Hunters” wasting a lot of time and resources to ultimately get no where, so unless it comes down to money changing hands, appointment to a position, or something very serious and formal, then you are probably better off to spend your time and efforts elsewhere. I wish some of the guys, who spend hundreds of hours "hunting posers", would make a positive effort that really impacts veterans. What really matters, you spent 8 hours doing research so you can bust the guy at work who runs his mouth at lunch about being a legendary sniper, or you spend that 8 hours helping out some vets by doing some form of charitable work with them? Most posers who run their mouths long enough will ultimately cross patch with someone who can and will call them out.

“Sniper Title, Qualification, or Whatever You Call It”
Sorry but I have to disagree with the argument that ONLY School Trained, MOS Carrying, DD214 Documented, military members are “Snipers”. I would make those arguments based on (as it relates the Army, sorry I am not 100% up on the USMC, USAF, USN sides, but I am sure there are similar arguments):

Timeline – the Army Sniper School at Ft Benning was not up until 1987, so are you going to tell anyone who served as a “Sniper” prior to then, sorry you are just a “wanna be”? Needless to say, there are plenty of trained, equipped, and acting “Snipers” with confirmed kills in combat way prior to that date.

MOS – the only members in the Army who can hold a B4 ASI (not an MOS) are someone in the 11 and 18 career fields. There are actually a number of members outside of those career fields (MP, Cav Scout, etc) who have attended school and/or served as “Snipers”, but they have not necessarily received the B4 qualifier.

Schools / Training – prior to, and even after the school opening in 1987, there were a number of “Sniper Schools” conducted at the local level (Division or Unit) which accomplished the same objectives as the formal school program. Individuals satisfactorily completing these schools were as capable as any other “Sniper”.

DD214 Documentation – anyone who has served in the Military knows a DD214 may or may not be worth the paper that it is printed on. For various reasons (clerical error, lost records, poor management, etc) it is very common for a veteran's DD214 to be missing information. Personally, about 1/3 of my schools, training, or qualifications are missing from my DD214.

In addition to all of that, you can also throw out the argument, who is more of a “Sniper”:
Individual A – attends a formal sniper school, gets the appropriate MOS or ASI, spends 2-3 years after school training with his unit, but never deploys, never fires a shot at the enemy, and never has a confirmed kill.
Individual B – gets his sniper training at the local level, never gets a formal MOS or ASI, spends the next 2-3 years after school on multiple deployments where they are equipped and acting as a sniper and actually end up with a confirmed kill.

I know plenty of individuals who meet the criteria for both A and B, and the Bs are just as much if not more of a “Sniper” than the As in my book though they have no official documentation, qualifier, or title.

It would be great if there was a real simple, clean, easy, and definitive way to identify a “Military Sniper”, but IMHO that is not the case.

Best of Luck,
M Richardson </div></div>

Well said.
I tried out for the scout platoon in my BN and made it. Got assigned as A S/O an later went to a school put on by the AMU in which I earned the B4 ASI
ASI=additional skill identifier
11B was and always will be my MOS...the alphenumeric codes that follow the numeric skill level are ASI's

For private reasons, I often find myself having one-on-one meetings with all sorts of former military "operators"

The majority of "special operations" guys leave the meeting VERY quick;ly.

I didn't read all of the thread but in the Corps now adays there are plenty of SNiper courses to go to where you dont get the MOS just a school to fill a billet.

SOTG Urban Sniper Course-Cert no MOS
Division Training Center Pre-SNiper Course- Cert, NO MOS
Military Police Marine Observer Marksman COurse- Cert, NO MOS

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Veer_G</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Here, maybe I can wangle you a good deal when you resupply ...</div></div>
Resupply, whats that?

Interesting read.

I guess alot has to do with definition of sniper.

If its USMC its an easy thing to understand. If its Army its not as direct as they have different levels of school and many have sniper attached to them

If its LE good luck as the schools very greatly.

Me I hate giving any personal info to anyone not paying me so never join associations and only get vettted when I see money at the end of the vetting and done by folks with security clearences. I am just a retired/retarded contractor and LE sniper.