• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Maggie’s Military Jeopardy

Here is one from RVN that I don't remember the answer to, I just remember we had them.
There was some kind of a scrambler used with the PRC-77 radio and radios in the TOC that let you talk in the clear. What was it called and how effective was it?
It came out in late 69 early 70. Our RTO used it and it was Black Magic to me, I was at the end of my tour. I just remember it was hard for me to talk on it and not use all of the radio slang we used normally and being told to just tell it like it is,"Just the facts Jack, the Gooks can't hear us."

Get in here Cav has Been, you may remember it too. FM

I don't believe so but may be. It was a Bravo something but that may have just been the identifier we used in the bush. FM

Last edited:
Ding, ding....Barney got it. I remember having to load Nestor crypto way back (we had it only because NATO still used them), what a pain in the ass. Basically you had a plastic block that had hinged "pages". Each of those "pages", had pins that were raised or lowered via a notched vertical slot in the page that had corresponding variable markings (A-Z, 1-26). To set crypto, a Radio Operator (with a toothpick), would go through each "page" and set the pins from a code book. Lots of mistakes, and a huge PITA when it came time to switch keymat...

That's it. It was heavy and we weren't too happy to get it. As I said, it was Black Magic to me and I was glad I was short.
I think we called it a Bravo 1 or 2 but it has been a long time so I am not sure of the number. I do remember our RTO being pissed and we had to divide up the load.
We only used it at the end of the day and only when absolutely necessary. FM

Was it one of Edward Teller's designs?

Barney got it. The rest of you were circling it, but I was looking for the overarching design that governs yield. A Teller-Ullam device is a multi stage fission/fusion design whose yield can be exponentially increased by adding stages --basically a bomb within a bomb.

It was a trick question. There is no theoretical limit for a weapon of this design. Each stage boosts the last, so on and so on. IIRC, most are two stage bombs.

Tsar Bomba was the largest ever detonated, but the casing was modified at the last minute to prevent it from exceeding 50megatons. It was actually a no-shit 100megaton design. But another stage could be added to this weapon that would significantly increase the yield.

This is why many believe in the possibility of a "doomsday" device. It's totally within the realm of possibility now that you know this.

Oh, and I wasn't there, but my father is the "been there, done that" type when it comes to this shit. His gig was putting 'em on target though, not weapons design perse.

I just suck at asking questions, far better at answering. You guys get all mine in no time. I wanna stump you guys with something like that Mills Bomb, that was fun.

Not so much the actual weapon, more the delivery system?

You mean the caisson?

There are two complete gatling guns at Ft. Benning Infantry Museum, a big one and small one, carriage and all (only missing the horses).

Or do you mean the four horse chariot? It's sort of a crew served weapon, but four horses were rare on chariots as far as I understand.

Barney got it. The rest of you were circling it, but I was looking for the overarching design that governs yield. A Teller-Ullam device is a multi stage fission/fusion design whose yield can be exponentially increased by adding stages --basically a bomb within a bomb.

It was a trick question. There is no theoretical limit for a weapon of this design. Each stage boosts the last, so on and so on. IIRC, most are two stage bombs.

Tsar Bomba was the largest ever detonated, but the casing was modified at the last minute to prevent it from exceeding 50megatons. It was actually a no-shit 100megaton design. But another stage could be added to this weapon that would significantly increase the yield.

This is why many believe in the possibility of a "doomsday" device. It's totally within the realm of possibility now that you know this.

Oh, and I wasn't there, but my father is the "been there, done that" type when it comes to this shit. His gig was putting 'em on target though, not weapons design perse.

I just suck at asking questions, far better at answering. You guys get all mine in no time. I wanna stump you guys with something like that Mills Bomb, that was fun.

He called it "the backyard bomb", a bomb so big that it could not be delivered, would be set off in your backyard.

Just to the north of the runway at Davidson AAF are some "interesting" markings on the tarmac. What are they called and what are they used for?

Just to the north of the runway at Davidson AAF are some "interesting" markings on the tarmac. What are they called and what are they used for?

Don't know what they're called, but they look like something that could be used to check resolution/focus on satellite reconnaissance cameras.

^^Yes, that is the use. Technically they are called Ronchi Rulings, but since this is Military Jeopardy, in this specific arrangement they are designated as?

The way they are laid out as well as their dimensional relations is based on the USAF 1951 resolution test chart, just on a larger scale.

I have seen grappling hooks used by various military units but just came across an interesting project by the USAF involving their use. Any ideas what that project was?

I'll have to go look in my copy of "Deep Black" but there is another application of the skyhook beyond satellite canister drops and SF pickups... I think it involved the SR71.

If anyone wants an AMAZING book to read... Deep Black. c 1986. About right on for the state of the art at the time.... reconnaissance systems.

I have a first edition. Amusingly, the intelligence community not only tried to stop publication... they also tried to 'round up' copies. Proved a stupid mission. But noone was happy about the publication. First editions are rare as rocking horse turds.

Cheers,

Sirhr

Last edited:
Barney, you're not talking about the 'downed pilot' recovery thingamawhatsit, are you? Rogue Warrior (Dick Marcinko) spoke of it in his book, as well. "Elevator to Heaven" or something of that sort.

No mate, that was an interesting system but this pre dates that (1950's) and involves reconnaissance. One of the unintended results of these tests were a crop of purported UFO sightings across the U.S. Southwest.

Barney, you're not talking about the 'downed pilot' recovery thingamawhatsit, are you? Rogue Warrior (Dick Marcinko) spoke of it in his book, as well. "Elevator to Heaven" or something of that sort.

Those were used on HC-130 P and N models. Specifically the ones with the big nose. The nose had attachment points to install a set of pick up whiskers.

Is it the retrieval of the data from high altitude balloon borne data devices. The glints from the balloons being yanked, caused some to believe that they were ufos?

Thanks mate, will look for that book. Does involve reconnaissance but not Blackbird.

https://www.abebooks.com/9780425108...XfFgOZvOZFp-KpXroQp_cJHt0tD-D2bUaAj2WEALw_wcB

Involves the whole history of National Technical Means up to 1985 or so. Superb book that probably should have never been published. Now an interesting historical artifact. Back in 1986 (and, BTW, I was in college then), should never, ever have been allowed to see the light of day.

Worth reading from an historical perspective. And, as I mentioned, brought up a grapple program that probably answers the above the question. I just can't remember exactly what it is, even if I am rainman in a few ways.

Cheers,

Sirhr

^^When the Luna 3 probe recorded the first pictures of the far side of the moon in 1959, it did so using captured American film. Sneaky bastards!

https://www.abebooks.com/9780425108...XfFgOZvOZFp-KpXroQp_cJHt0tD-D2bUaAj2WEALw_wcB

Involves the whole history of National Technical Means up to 1985 or so. Superb book that probably should have never been published. Now an interesting historical artifact. Back in 1986 (and, BTW, I was in college then), should never, ever have been allowed to see the light of day.

Worth reading from an historical perspective. And, as I mentioned, brought up a grapple program that probably answers the above the question. I just can't remember exactly what it is, even if I am rainman in a few ways.

Cheers,

Sirhr

"Thanks" Sirhr, that link led me to a few other books of interest too.......

I'll have to go look in my copy of "Deep Black" but there is another application of the skyhook beyond satellite canister drops and SF pickups... I think it involved the SR71.

If anyone wants an AMAZING book to read... Deep Black. c 1986. About right on for the state of the art at the time.... reconnaissance systems.

I have a first edition. Amusingly, the intelligence community not only tried to stop publication... they also tried to 'round up' copies. Proved a stupid mission. But noone was happy about the publication. First editions are rare as rocking horse turds.

Cheers,

Sirhr

There was a time when this book was confiscated and/or classified if it ever entered a SCIF. Many of the code words, project names and capabilities were very closely guarded secrets at the time (like, when you sign the forms and they tell you "You will never utter these words again in an unclassified domain"), so it was extremely frowned upon when it was released. In 1985 (if many of you recall) the NRO didn't officially exist, so this book spilled a lot info about sources and methods to the public (and our adversaries).

There was a time when this book was confiscated and/or classified if it ever entered a SCIF. Many of the code words, project names and capabilities were very closely guarded secrets at the time (like, when you sign the forms and they tell you "You will never utter these words again in an unclassified domain"), so it was extremely frowned upon when it was released. In 1985 (if many of you recall) the NRO didn't officially exist, so this book spilled a lot info about sources and methods to the public (and our adversaries).

I have two books of a 3 volume set of WW2 picture books (I'd like to find the 3rd one) that were given to my dad by a bookshop owner who hid 'em away in Detroit. FBI confiscated many copies but there are still many floating around. It's a cheap book printed on cheap newsprint with a linen cardboard hard cover, thought to be intended as a snuff book (or labelled as such by FBI for other reasons). The truth was besides showing the horrors of war (the images are still very shocking by today's standards, cut off heads hanging by barb wire in Manchuria, bayonettings, and other executions) it also showed a plethora of other operational information that was basically "real time" info at that time, given Vol.1 was published in 1942. By the time the book store owner gave 'em to my dad in the late 50's, I doubt the FBI had much interest in them. But he said they confiscated around 300 volumes during the war. Wish I could show you guys these books. "WW 2 in Pictures" is the name but it's kinda hard to find. Due to the cheap construction, they can be had for fairly cheap despite being fairly rare. Doubleday is the publisher and they had solid blood red covers.

Question:

Cortez's handful of men slaughtered tens of thousands of native warriors with firearms, steel and horses. What weapon did the native warriors have and how did it work, how was it made?

Question:

Cortez's handful of men slaughtered tens of thousands of native warriors with firearms, steel and horses. What weapon did the native warriors have and how did it work, how was it made?

Would that be the atlatl? Basically just a spear launcher?

No, I suppose they had those though. This isn't a projectile weapon.

There are hints as to why it didn't work in the question.

A good description of it and how it worked, what it was made of will be fine, you don't need the name. It is an obscure weapon though.

A macuahuitl is a wooden club with obsidian blades. Its sides are embedded with prismatic blades traditionally made from obsidian, famous for producing an edge far sharper than even high quality steel razor blades. The one pictured is a modern "ceremonial" type. Assuming I got it right, the next question is what is the Zaamurets and what did it do? [IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"https:\/\/upload.wikimedia.org\/wikipedia\/en\/thumb\/5\/5b\/Ceremonial_Macuahuitl.jpg\/1920px-Ceremonial_Macuahuitl.jpg"}[/IMG2]

Last edited:
You got it Sirh! The way I understand it, THE Zammurets was just one of their armored trains. Its history is an interesting, and short, read. If you have time, here's a link for your perusal: https://medium.com/war-is-boring/a-r...a-db3e3180b50c Enjoy.

976f462f90cb4129b328b80d89816522.jpg

They intercepted a phone conversation between Nasser and Hussien. ( Hmmmmm where have we heard that name ) They disseminated the contents of the call world wide a couple of days later. Feelings were hurt, feathers were ruffled, fingers were pointed, loud moaning was heard. In reality the IDF gave a good accounting. All except for the USS Liberty, R.I.P.

A macuahuitl is a wooden club with obsidian blades. Its sides are embedded with prismatic blades traditionally made from obsidian, famous for producing an edge far sharper than even high quality steel razor blades. The one pictured is a modern "ceremonial" type. Assuming I got it right, the next question is what is the Zaamurets and what did it do? [IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"https:\/\/upload.wikimedia.org\/wikipedia\/en\/thumb\/5\/5b\/Ceremonial_Macuahuitl.jpg\/1920px-Ceremonial_Macuahuitl.jpg"}[/IMG2]

Not only did you nail it, you fucking posted the most amazing looking one of those I've ever seen.

They had obsidian blades. They were glued in place and designed to break free when a hard blow was delivered; eventually you are left with a club. Against unarmored targets, these will cleave you half. Obsidian is STILL used for the most precise and sharp scalpels like they have for thousands of years --we still don't have anything better. Had the Spanish not been in possession of several key measures, they'd have been cut down in short time. This weapon is many times sharper than the best katana's and heavier than any European sword, it's a serious weapon with one serious drawback --obsidian breaks. The carvings gave it "magic" too, which is really nothing more than false confidence bestowed to the warrior (we still do the same shit today with soldier superstitions).

Since we need a new question, I'll pose one out of turn:

In WW2, night bombing was preceded by planes that dropped flares delineating the target area. What did the Germans call these flares?​