• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Maggie’s Military Jeopardy

A flak-train?

YES! A flak train! Best part is they killed the shit out of them. The gunners aboard the aircraft apparently had the advantage killing many of the AA crews. Good on them.

The armored flak train was nicknamed the "Caterpillar". It had 10 wagons and one engine. It had 36 light and medium AA guns on board and was camouflaged as a freight train. The wagons had fake walls, which would come down to reveal the arsenal inside. The most deadly pieces onboard proved to be two 4x20 mm guns, which could rotate 360 degrees. Out of the 10 wagons, only 6 were firing platforms. The rest were sleeping quarters, kitchen and mess hall, communications center and even a club wagon. Everything it needed. It was put under the command of Hauptmann Joseph Brem.

General Gerstenberg had ordered the Caterpillar to be positioned north of Ploiesti in order to catch the bombers, which would have just come out of the target area by surprise. Instead it caught by surprise the 77 B-24Ds of the 93rd and 98th bomber Groups approaching Ploiesti from the north, as planned. "Killer" Kane, the CO of the 98th (CMO), estimated he lost 7 aircraft to the flak train and many other were damaged. A bomb took out the train's engine and it eventually derailed.

After 23 August 1944 the train retreated northwards from Ploiesti firing on the oil wells in its way. It was stopped by a 7 men team, which blew it up near Baicoi.

360BCBA6-799D-4A80-9A28-846697771982.jpeg
Was this their first encounter with hitlers new 'jet aircraft'?

I want to say the Messerschmitt Me262 was not fully developed until the latter part of the war; too late to have any real significant impact. Having seen them fly along side allied aircraft in a mock WWII battle, the differences where, let’s just say, enough to change the tide of air superiority. From my observations anyway.

Attachments

• 360BCBA6-799D-4A80-9A28-846697771982.jpeg
    360BCBA6-799D-4A80-9A28-846697771982.jpeg
    66.8 KB · Views: 40
The Me 262s were towed to the runway by horses to preserve fuel. The jets - they like to drink the fuel. In war torn Germany in 1945, fuel was a precious commodity.

Assuming we are ripe for another question - How did allied pilots successfully fight the 262 (There is more than one right answer)?

ADA... Horses and cows! Right on! There are some films of them being towed out by cows and oxen..

Answer to your question... one method was to haunt the airfields and get them coming for a landing. Chuck Yeager got one of the first ones as it was on approach.

There are other tactics I am sure. But Yeager's was in his book. Which is totally worth reading. That guy was/is a legend!

Cheers,

Sirhr

Amazing! Horses( and other hoofed animals)have truly remained mans best friend throughout the history of human conflict; come to think of it, I can’t remember a major war where these domesticated creatures haven’t been utilized; even on the modern battlefield.

93FECEF7-4C37-48EE-9DF8-1A9DB240C73A.jpeg Here’s an easy one.
A hunter skilled in the taking of this marshland wading bird earned this nickname.

YES! A flak train! Best part is they killed the shit out of them. The gunners aboard the aircraft apparently had the advantage killing many of the AA crews. Good on them.

The armored flak train was nicknamed the "Caterpillar". It had 10 wagons and one engine. It had 36 light and medium AA guns on board and was camouflaged as a freight train. The wagons had fake walls, which would come down to reveal the arsenal inside. The most deadly pieces onboard proved to be two 4x20 mm guns, which could rotate 360 degrees. Out of the 10 wagons, only 6 were firing platforms. The rest were sleeping quarters, kitchen and mess hall, communications center and even a club wagon. Everything it needed. It was put under the command of Hauptmann Joseph Brem.

General Gerstenberg had ordered the Caterpillar to be positioned north of Ploiesti in order to catch the bombers, which would have just come out of the target area by surprise. Instead it caught by surprise the 77 B-24Ds of the 93rd and 98th bomber Groups approaching Ploiesti from the north, as planned. "Killer" Kane, the CO of the 98th (CMO), estimated he lost 7 aircraft to the flak train and many other were damaged. A bomb took out the train's engine and it eventually derailed.

After 23 August 1944 the train retreated northwards from Ploiesti firing on the oil wells in its way. It was stopped by a 7 men team, which blew it up near Baicoi.

And what Soviet weapon system was modeled after the "caterpillar"? Hint: It wasn't an AA weapon...

And what Soviet weapon system was modeled after the "caterpillar"? Hint: It wasn't an AA weapon...

Since Clancy novels don't count... they're fiction....

I'll throw out a couple of guesses. One is their missile transporters that have 5 - 10 sets of wheels and would spread massive loads... over lots of soft tires. They could traverse snow, taiga... all kinds of nasty terrain.

I also seem to remember some goofy troop carrier they built with a pair of screw-like things that would go where the tracks would normally sit. They looked like archamedes screws in a grain elevator. I don't know what it was called, but it supposedly went like hot snot across snow. Bet it was fun to maintain!

Cheers,

Sirhr

I'm thinking of something specifically rail mounted, though I know the vehicles of which you speak.

Sirhr - I was thinking of Yeager when I wrote that question. If you are an American, you have to love Chuck Yeager. The other successful method of defeating a 262 were to draw it into a maneuvering contest and take away its speed advantage. The P-51 was way more maneuverable, but the 262 pilots were the best of the best and soon learned not to get sucked into that type of combat.

MarinePMI - I don't know the name of it, but are you talking about a Soviet nuclear missile train? Soviets love mobile missiles, as Sirhr pointed out. They are still using trains to move their missiles about, in addition to other mobile missile systems.

Last edited:
ADA has it. The SS-24 Mod 1 rail mounted ICBM. Similar to the German caterpillar, the SS-24M1's traveled in clusters of a missile batteries, with the three car batteries (four to a battalion IIRC) generally scattered within a rail yard for CCD purposes. The cars could fire from within the rail yard, but were more accurate when fired from pre-surveyed points that were (generally) on spur lines, distributed through out the former Soviet Union's rail system.

Just watched a documentary about operation tidal wave last night. I have to say, the stories of WWII bomber crews are some of the most crazy/courageous I have ever heard, God bless ‘em.

During the bombing run, one of the liberators had realized they where off course and turned around to get back on target, unknowingly heading straight on a collision course for Colonel Kane and his crew, all the while, just 100ft off the ground. The collision is narrowly avoided.

Having watched this near miss on the ground, the Germans realized that the interlace of American bombers could only be the result of an extremely precise plan executed flawlessly...

https://youtu.be/cJm3WRFUedg

The Angler I watched the video you linked above it was good. This other video is part of the Peninsula Seniors Video series, it features pilot Robert Sternfels' first hand account of the raid. The Peninsula series is pretty interesting, they had a talk by an engineer from Project Azorian as well, worth a gander.

So this is an interesting one... Dr. Oliver Wendell Holmes (father of the future justice) was a physician of note. He, along with a Dr. Lister, published findings in the mid-1800's that stated that if surgeons cleaned their instruments and washed their hands, they would avoid 'wound fever,' which was generally an infection that killed huge numbers of patients. The practice of hand-washing took almost 30 years to become standard among doctors... and as a result, patient survival (particularly of the battle-wounded) skyrocketed. This practice, however, was fiercely resisted by a Philadelphia obstetrician named Dr. Meigs... and by the senior members of the Army Medical Corps in the U.S. and UK. On what grounds did they oppose washing of hands?

The answer will make you want to dope slap someone... (that's not a clue, BTW... just the reaction I had.)

Cheers,

Sirhr

^^Biology 101 for me. The above link doesn't work, but if you search for: [h=1]A History Lesson On The Dangers Of Letting Data Speak For Itself.[/h] There is a fascinating article on the matter.

Doctors are gentlemen and a gentleman’s hands are clean.

Yup.... Another reason to hate pompous asses! How many died in a generation... when they could have lived. If Dr. Blivetsphincter hadn't been such a snapperhead and had simply acknowledged that hand-washing for doctors... was a good idea.

Cheers,

Sirhr

This light machine gun, used in the Pacific theater of WWII was derived from obsolete, converted bolt action rifles.

Could it be the ...
Charlton Automatic Rifle?

[IMG2=JSON]{"alt":"Charlton Automatic Rifle reproduction","data-align":"none","data-size":"full","height":"284","title":"Charlton Automatic Rifle reproduction","width":"900","src":"http:\/\/www.forgottenweapons.com\/wp-content\/uploads\/2012\/10\/PB937-1.jpg"}[/IMG2]

Converted from the Lee Metford rifle for the defense of New Zealand.

Assuming I'm right - I'll put an easy one out there - what acclaimed military leader killed his brother for not sharing food?

I don't know, and have tried googling this about eleventy different ways from Sunday. I will say though, that my first three guesses are:
Airplanes or skins,
Blimps/Zeppelins/Dirigibles or skins,
Firearms, (if Singer sewing machines can make 1911's....)

A fourth guess would be:
Cordite/Dynamite/other explosives.

I know about Canada producing a large amount of cellulose for explosives during the wars. Among other things.

You got it, Angler! The shape of the iconic "Tommy Helmet" is derived directly from an on-hand stamping die that Willis and Bates of Halifax used... along with an innovative liner created by Alfred Bates... created the iconic "Tommy Helmet." Sometimes called the Brodie Helmet... it was Brodie's patent and idea... but it was Willis and Bates that made the first ones.

Next question.... and Sorry, Sean! Good guesses!

Cheers,

Sirhr

Google searching this question took me to places I would rather not have seen..............

Had an idea the previous answer was helmets but could not find the evidence to support it.

Leading elements to attack something with little or no hope of success expected to die trying. Cannon fodder carrying a bloody flag.

Just to add to the above........

In the German mercenary armies of the Landsknechts, these troops were called the Verlorene Haufen, which has the same meaning as the Dutch term, the word Haufen itself being a general term for a loosely organised group of men. These men carried long double-handed swords, with which they had to hew their way through the massive pike formations opposing them. They also had to withstand the first wave of attacks when defending a breastwork. Members of the Verlorene Haufen earned double pay, thus giving them the name of Doppelsöldner ('Double-wagers'), but since there were not enough volunteers, criminals that had been sentenced to death were taken into the ranks as well. As a field sign, the Verlorene Haufen carried a red Blutfahne ('Blood Banner').

By extension, the term forlorn hope became used for any body of troops placed in a hazardous position, e.g., an exposed outpost, or the defenders of an outwork in advance of the main defensive position.[1] This usage was especially common in accounts of the English Civil War, as well as in the British Army in the Peninsular War of 1808–1814, and in the days of muzzle-loading muskets, the term was most frequently used to refer to the first wave of soldiers attacking a breach in defences during a siege.

While it was likely that most members of the forlorn hope would be killed or wounded the intention was that some would survive long enough to seize a foothold that could be reinforced, or at least that a second wave with better prospects could be sent in while the defenders were reloading or engaged in mopping up the remnants of the first wave.[1] That said such soldiers were rarely suicidal or foolhardy: British troops of the forlorn hope at the 1812 Siege of Badajoz carried a large bag (5–6 feet (1.5–1.8 m) by 2 feet (0.61 m) in diameter) stuffed with hay or straw, which was thrown down into the enemy trenches to create a cushion and prevent injury as they jumped down.[10]

A forlorn hope may have been composed of volunteers and conscripted criminals and were frequently led by ambitious junior officers with hopes of personal advancement: if the volunteers survived, and performed courageously, they would be expected to benefit in the form of promotions, cash gifts and adding glory to their name (a military tradition at least as old as the Roman Republic[11]) while the commanding officer himself was virtually guaranteed both a promotion and a long-term boost to his career prospects.[12]

In consequence, despite the grave risks involved for all concerned, there was often serious competition for the opportunity to lead such an assault and to display conspicuous valor.

The French equivalent of the forlorn hope, called Les Enfants Perdus ('The Lost Children'), were all guaranteed promotion to officer rank should they survive, with the effect that both enlisted men and officers joined the dangerous mission as an opportunity to raise themselves in the army.

In military doctrine, these are the five elements of warfare that are to be determined when laying plans for war.

Just to add to the above........

In the German mercenary armies of the Landsknechts, these troops were called the Verlorene Haufen, which has the same meaning as the Dutch term, the word Haufen itself being a general term for a loosely organised group of men. These men carried long double-handed swords, with which they had to hew their way through the massive pike formations opposing them. They also had to withstand the first wave of attacks when defending a breastwork. Members of the Verlorene Haufen earned double pay, thus giving them the name of Doppelsöldner ('Double-wagers'), but since there were not enough volunteers, criminals that had been sentenced to death were taken into the ranks as well. As a field sign, the Verlorene Haufen carried a red Blutfahne ('Blood Banner').

By extension, the term forlorn hope became used for any body of troops placed in a hazardous position, e.g., an exposed outpost, or the defenders of an outwork in advance of the main defensive position.[1] This usage was especially common in accounts of the English Civil War, as well as in the British Army in the Peninsular War of 1808–1814, and in the days of muzzle-loading muskets, the term was most frequently used to refer to the first wave of soldiers attacking a breach in defences during a siege.

While it was likely that most members of the forlorn hope would be killed or wounded the intention was that some would survive long enough to seize a foothold that could be reinforced, or at least that a second wave with better prospects could be sent in while the defenders were reloading or engaged in mopping up the remnants of the first wave.[1] That said such soldiers were rarely suicidal or foolhardy: British troops of the forlorn hope at the 1812 Siege of Badajoz carried a large bag (5–6 feet (1.5–1.8 m) by 2 feet (0.61 m) in diameter) stuffed with hay or straw, which was thrown down into the enemy trenches to create a cushion and prevent injury as they jumped down.[10]

A forlorn hope may have been composed of volunteers and conscripted criminals and were frequently led by ambitious junior officers with hopes of personal advancement: if the volunteers survived, and performed courageously, they would be expected to benefit in the form of promotions, cash gifts and adding glory to their name (a military tradition at least as old as the Roman Republic[11]) while the commanding officer himself was virtually guaranteed both a promotion and a long-term boost to his career prospects.[12]

In consequence, despite the grave risks involved for all concerned, there was often serious competition for the opportunity to lead such an assault and to display conspicuous valor.

The French equivalent of the forlorn hope, called Les Enfants Perdus ('The Lost Children'), were all guaranteed promotion to officer rank should they survive, with the effect that both enlisted men and officers joined the dangerous mission as an opportunity to raise themselves in the army.

Good scoop. Thanks for posting it!

In military doctrine, these are the five elements of warfare that are to be determined when laying plans for war.

Are you are referring to Mr. Sun Tzu's five elements of strategy? -
  • Mission: Inspire people to share the same visions, ideas and expectations
  • Ground: to be able to master mountains, valleys, rivers, plains, etc. it’s about situation, distant or immediate, difficult or easy, opportunities and risks
  • Climate: it’s nature, changes in climatic conditions
  • Command: Leadership, such as wisdom, humanity, credibility, courage, intelligence and firmness.
  • Method: the discipline, the moral cause, reward, punishment, logistics and metrics.
Or are you referring to his five elements for victory? -

(1) He will win who knows when to fight and when not to fight.
(2) He will win who knows how to handle both superior and inferior forces.
(3) He will win whose army is animated by the same spirit throughout all its ranks.
(4) He will win who, prepared himself, waits to take the enemy unprepared.
(5) He will win who has capability & capacity and is not interfered with by the sovereign.

Whether I'm answering your question correctly is immaterial in this respect, Sun Tzu belongs in this thread!

Great job ADA! I was referring specifically to the five constants:
1. Moral law(mission)
2.heaven( climate/nature)
3.earth( terrain/ground)
4.commander(leadership)
5. Method and discipline ( training, rewards, and logistics)

... but you nailed it and the bonus points!

Apologize for the wording. I tried to word it to make it harder to just google,but there where some clues in there.

We may have done this one before, I am not sure.
What was Project 100,000? what were the results of that and why is it's mastermind's middle name so fitting?

Dropping the acceptance standards for drafting into Vietnam. Post analysis showed it was a failure in terms of casualties and post war employment/quality of life for those drafted. Kind of a enfants perdue of our own. I don't know McNamara's middle name, but it must somehow be fitting.

You guys got it.
Unfortunately I had deal with some of these "shitbirds" from BCT on to AIT and try to teach them to read and write as I had a high score in English on the basic tests. I graduated High School with low scores in English but apparently some of my lessons stuck.
It was a tough row to hoe when called out in the morning formation to be told by the black1st Sgt that, "Youse guys scored high in yours Englishes testes so youse guys will be teaching 2nd. Plt. to read and rite after duty hours." The only thing good about it was no KP or guard duty. It was a lot of work and trying to decipher letters from home and how to answer them was really rather comical.
There were 3 of us assigned this duty and 1 college graduate who was so book smart yet unwise to the world that he actually asked the 1st. Sgt. if he might not want to sit in on the classes. That went over like a turd in a punch bowl but honestly the guy was trying to help,he just didn't know when to keep his mouth shut. To this day I honestly believe that the 1st. Sgt was probably about 1 grade above being illiterate and the guy was just trying to help him but was only tortured for his kind thoughts.
Those were the days and I can only look back and laugh.
Unfortunately when I walk by the traveling Wall I see many of their names there, my former students, that never should have been in the Army to start with. just filling a slot or a number.
We were all draftees. FM

Last edited:
No problems mate, got carried away following up on the "blood flag" and ended up on a Neo Nazi forum, will not be going back there.

Thanks! I was worried that, based on the possible search terms, you had ended up on a site offering child porn and I was making a much needed apology - thank goodness it just some stupid Nazis. Speaking of stupid Nazis, ...

Hitler wasn't such a bad guy. I mean, he did kill Hitler.

Enough of that.

Next question - Where on earth can you find between 500 and 1,250 splinters of metal per square meter, and why? This would be a harder one I think.

Last edited: