• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Maggie’s Military Jeopardy

A primer with 30 grains of blackpowder, which in turn ignited a blackpowder pad on the end of the 110 pound powder bag. 6 bags per shot. powder grains were cylindrical, about the size of my thumb.

~2,600 feet per second for the HC 1,900 pound shell. Barrel life was ~350 shots. Unfortunately, we never got to wear out any barrels.

I shot a lot more 5" 38 cal, as my GQ station was a Secondary Battery Director Officer. 6 guns in effect was always a good time. With the Marines in Mount 55 kicking the sailors asses in speed (5" 38 cal twin mounts are pretty much manually loaded, separate powder and shells).

Spending the dollar... Using a suicide capsule hidden in a fake coin... U2 pilots supposedly had them. Cheers, Sirhr

So where did Buying the Farm come from...????

The GI life insurance payout was enough to pay off the mortgage on the family farm.

Reactions: MarinePMI
Correct on the unit... but wrong on the reason...

The reason was that they were checking the clothes for explosives residue, GSR, blood and other forensics. And they were also checking to see if the amount of laundry increased at certain houses... and the sizes because that could indicate that IRA members were hiding in those houses. The "Four Square" laundry truck was also equipped with surveillance gear and would run all kinds of surveillance and recording while making its rounds to pick up and deliver clothes.

Truck was exposed by a PIRA double-agent and two drivers were snatched and executed by the IRA in the '70s.

The QRF, which later became "The Det". They also ran a massage parlor...

Ok... a slightly tougher one...

What did the SAS do to every new car being sold in Ireland in the '70s and '80s?

Cheers,

Sirhr

For Bonus points, what do the SAS troopers refer to "The Det" as?

Tracking devices?

The "Det" was also known as SRU, Special Reconnaissance Unit and "Northern Ireland Training and Advisory Teams (Northern Ireland)" - NITAT(NI) .

Similar operations were being carried out by the Secret Intelligence Service (SIS) – otherwise known as MI6 or "The Box".

Dammit, I know the term you are looking for but I am having a mental blackout at the moment, I blame the Bourbon (it is almost 10 30 pm here) and dealing with the relatives / funeral arrangements, but It may be related to getting old, my 26.5 years in the Military finished in mid 1998. The answer will come to me in the middle of my night and by then someone else will have answered the question.

A hint, Barney:

Screen-Shot-2017-04-03-at-17.17.48.png

Oh and that hint is what they did to the cars.

The SAS referred (and probably still do) to any of the intel-types as "The Green Slime."

Given that many regiment types spend several years doing tours attached to the various intel-units and working in their midst, I have to assume that this is a term of endearment... but not sure the origin of it.

Cheers,

Sirhr

The clue actually triggered some long dead brain cells, they bugged the cars, I was thinking "greenies" which is a different service term here, the slime came to me as I was pouring the next drink but I was too late.

Exactly. Every new car sold in Northern Ireland came pre-fitted with a listening device that the SAS or the Det could turn on at will. Because Michael Collins and a lot of the IRA types would only hold meetings in cars. And they were very, very hard to bug. So the answer? Pre-bug them before they leave the dealership!

Cheers,

Sirhr

Seems the Japanese tried too with their Special number 3 light tank Ku-Ro (特三号戦車 クロ) (also known as the "So-Ra"[1]) was an experimental Japanese winged light tank project, developed during World War II.

I remember building models when I was younger and I think that was the insignia options on one of the F14's. Don't know why they chose it other than it was hugely popular back in the day.

I saw one insignia though that shows the cat carrying an old fashioned bomb with a fuse and an "E" which I can only guess is part of the relativity equation (now I'm thinking of the crew on that aircraft carrier that stood in a formation E=mc^2). Is that it?