• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Maggie’s Military Jeopardy

The Yellow bird had a yellow tail.

Saigon River
River of Saigon
River of Shit
Cross it, cross it
Be in some Shit
Kick some Ass
Take some names
Put yourself in the Hall of Fame

It went on from there. I don't remember it all as it changed day to day.

A Company of motivated troops marching with a Good cadence caller could be heard for over a mile by everyone within earshot. Getting ready to go to war.

Let's not forget the most hated person in their world. Jody. Lots of songs about that cocksucker.

There were many songs and cadence calls for many years back to WW1 and before. All aimed at their enemy. Japs, Krauts, Mexicans, Cubans, you name it as well as what they didn't like at home, nothing was out of bounds, and they made some noise as well as some nice sounding music.

Fast Forward to today and I don't think that happens so much but we don't want to lose that which has passed.

Barney probably has a song or 2 about Shelia and there is always a song about who the Sailors loved.

Today I can only think of

Rainbow Bright is my goal
Rainbow Bright is in my hole
Rainbow Bright is my hero
Rainbow Bright has my Zero

I realize that is not true of everyone but what do they sing today if they even march in formation?

Reactions: Barneybdb
I forgot about the yellow tail!

My time was 15-20 years ago (9/11 happened the day before I graduated infantry school!... Damn that makes me feel old). For the last several years they've been wearing the shit out of "C-130 Rolling Down the Strip" and it has various lines as they all do. I heard that recently on post. There was "Tiny Bubbles" I'm sure you know, another I can't recall how it goes but it's about loving a girl that's a vegetable. My ex-wife loved the one "Don't let your dingle dangle dangle in the dirt, pick it up and tie it to your shirt" --you can make up damn near any line to fit that one.

We did a lot of 'em in basic and AIT but once we got to the unit we only did cadence during huge brigade or post runs. Most time we went route step and bullshitted along the way. During PT we just shot the shit while running or whatever it was we were doing (with some pauses for air and grunts and the penultimate puke before RTB!).

The army as a whole has dramatically scaled back the "stupid army shit" as far as I can tell. I guess that's because my generation is running the show now. These guys seem to have it made. More like a regular job. That's good. All that stupid army shit really rubbed me the wrong way. The dumb shit that has no meaning, like picking up leaves without a rake or cutting grass with scissors (when no article 15 is involved, just "because"). A lot of that shit seems to be scaled back, at least at Ft. Lewis, but it's a bit different than other posts I guess.

Keep 'em coming! We sorely need to resuscitate this thread!

Reactions: Fig and Barneybdb
In fourteenhundred and ninety two a dego from I-tally
Was heard to murder something queer while pissing in an alley

He said the world was round O
He said it could be found O
That hypothetical calculating son-of-a-bitch Columbo

There’s another dozen verses that get progressively worse

Snipers Wonderland? Anyone?

Ah yes. "My Girl is a Vegetable" is a classic. My favorite was Johnny Horton's "Battle of New Orleans" song and "Johnny Reb" turned into a cadence. Actually worked out really, really well.

Stryker. In 71 I was doing the last of my time and was in a Med Bn. north of Nurenburg, Germany. at Erlangen.
I was fresh back from The Land of Sun and Fun and just putting my time in and wanted nothing other than to go home.
I had a Med profile, no prolonged,--- standing, walking, running, sitting, no nothing and was on convalescent status, that is why I was there, on holdover from my ETS and all I would do was NOTHING. I was FedUp and sick and tired of the Army's Bullshit.
The Lifers hated my ass as I had the rank to be one of them but wanted no part of them, I just wanted to go Home to the farm/ranch and be done with them. I was a Hurtin Bird. Fucked up and fed up.

I was assigned to the Motor Pool so they could keep me busy and out of their hair and told me I, as an NCO, would have to march the troops from Morning Formation to the Motor Pool in the AM. Pissed me off big time.

There were 9 men and me. I talked to all of them after hours as we headed to the nearest Gasthaus, where I bought the beer, and told them, "Here is how we are going to do it, all within the regs and wrinkle some skin, but they are all marching commands and within the regs."

The Lifers insisted that there were 2 columns for the morning BS, formation, 5 and 4 in our case, then turn it over to the NCOs to move their people to duty stations.

My first command was always,"Get your ass in position," and they would move to 3 ranks of 3 and we would then start off with a forward march followed quickly with a Left flank or left oblique, head for the second tree in that line, then Route step march and assemble at the front of the Motor Pool to fall out."

We would, on occasion, do a bunch of flanking moves and obliques around the PT stand or right at the CO and First Shirt only to change direction at the last second just to piss them off then the command Route step March was given and running around and grab ass was encouraged.

My troops were all over it. We were all Draftees but found a way to pimp the Lifers at their own game.

If I do say so myself, those troops knew what was going on and when we needed to be squared away, THEY did it.

We were sent to a Brigade Parade once and our Flanking moves were memorable. The guys had it going on. We sang dirty songs too and the Lifers were usually the butt of those songs but Jody lined up too. FM

Was a British ship. The HMS Zubian a mix of the two ships it was made from the HMS Zulu and the HMS HMS Nubian

Got the idea from that video. Just recently finished watching his back catalog.

If I remember correctly it is now your turn to ask a question. Though since this is a resurrection I guess anybody can ask one.

Spent all the last couple of days reading this spectacular thread.
anim_beer.gif

The US Army contracted for 5,300 of these service handguns to be built. They were never issued once they were delivered and were later sold for scrap...

Go!

The Colt Offensive Weapon Handgun System (OWHS, or Colt SOCOM)?

The pistol that lost to the H&K Mk23...

I read several articles about it, and cannot find, anywhere, how many of them they made.

It really is an enigma of a question, because from everything I've read it would be incredibly unusual for a pistol to pass the prototype stage and go into limited production like that only to never be issued and then be destroyed. That's kind of scandalous. One would think this kind of arcana would be more publicized and widely known because of how unusual it was...

Reactions: Barneybdb
1917-ish or 1985?

I can only think 1909 or 1917 revolver models and the supposed resurrection of one of them in the 1980’s. I have shot a variant of them, which was new in the 1980’s. I don’t know if those were supposed to be destroyed or not.

Last edited:
One more hint: A small batch of them saw service with the Marines fighting waves of fanatical Jihadists in the Philippines during the Moro Wars, due to paperwork issues or a bureaucratic fuckup in the Dept. Of Ordnance. The Marines were probably like "huh?", and a new training system had to be briefly adopted, but it worked, was VERY effective, and civilized the Hadji's just like a standard issue Krag...

Even earlier...

Another hint: The production facility for this pistol was in upstate New York.
That would be Remington in Ilion, or Savage when their main production was in Utica. Neither one produced that many pistols. White-Merrill submitted a model, but it failed the function/endurance testing.

Whatever you got beyond that, I'm stumped.

That would be Remington in Ilion, or Savage when their main production was in Utica. Neither one produced that many pistols. White-Merrill submitted a model, but it failed the function/endurance testing.

Whatever you got beyond that, I'm stumped.

----------
Utica
----------

Correct location. Existing models all have that location as part of the character string stamped on the top of the barrels.

----------
Utica
----------

Correct location. Existing models all have that location as part of the character string stamped on the top of the barrels.
So, it appears to be Savage, but I find nothing on prototypes, or anything on 5300 units built. Ain’t the internet great? If somone has more shit to say, the truth doesn’t get out there.

Added: meaning I come up with a whole bunch of unrelated crap, and not the subject at hand.

Single action peacemaker?

That was one of the handguns rushed to the battlefront in the Philippines due to the failures of the standard issue .38 Special. The Army got the Peacemakers. A few Marine units received the models that the question called for.

Refer back to Post# 1,772. Why would this pistol require a new training system to be implemented for soldiers of that time period?

Edited to clarify the conflict and time period which the .38 cartridge was originally used in.

Last edited:
That was one of the handguns rushed to the battlefront due to the failures of the standard issue .38 Special. The Army got the Peacemakers. A few Marine units received the models that the question called for.

Refer back to Post# 1,772. Why would this pistol require a new training system to be implemented for soldiers of that time period?
The single action peacemaker wasn't introduced until 1873. Eight years after the Civil War ended.

There was no .38 Special during the Civil War. The .38 "Long Colt" wasn't introduced until 1875. Which Civil War are you talking about?

Last edited:
That was one of the handguns rushed to the battlefront due to the failures of the standard issue .38 Special. The Army got the Peacemakers. A few Marine units received the models that the question called for.

Part of me really wants to say Colt M1878, but you said Utica, right?

Reactions: Blue Sky Country
The single action peacemaker wasn't introduced until 1873. Eight years after the Civil War ended.

There was no .38 Special during the Civil War. The .38 "Long Colt" wasn't introduced until 1875. Which Civil War are you talking about?

I meant to clarify: The .38 Special/LC that I mentioned was the standard issue sidearm cartridge during the Moro Wars. Due to it's inadequacy against determined Moro fighters, the Army had to revert back to the 1873 Peacemaker. Some Marine units received another revolver, one which dated to the end of the US Civil War. As late as the early 2000's, original examples of this revolver can be found in mint condition at relatively low prices due to the fact that a vast majority of them had never been issued or had only seen brief service...

Ha well alright then. Let's see...

This mid-19th revolver employed a novel method of loading and unloading the cylinder involving turning and pulling the barrel.

Well, M&H were mid 19th century and did function like that.

However, I know there were others like that. A quick perusal of forgottenweapons.com would turn up the video. I have seen it before. Can’t remember the name.

However, I know there were others like that. A quick perusal of forgottenweapons.com would turn up the video. I have seen it before. Can’t remember the name.
I'll give a clue. It's a solid-frame British pattern I'm looking for.

Many mid-19th century handguns operated by turning and pulling the barrel. To disassemble and to reload.

@Son of Dorn Cartridge or percussion ignition?