• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Maggie’s Military Jeopardy

Molle? Never got to use it myself, we had Alice.

Question for the aviation minded, why did Merlin engines have none consecutive serial numbers?
Because that way the enemy would never know how many there really were being produced.

Rolls Royce did the same with their cars. Their argument was that you were always buying the best. So it’s position in the production line or year made was irrelevant.

Cheers, sirhr

Reactions: Barneybdb
To designate rotational direction?

"Merlin engines were only allocated ODD serial numbers by Rolls-Royce. This practice apparently stemmed from manufacture of the Eagle in WW1, where the Company was required to supply some engines with right-turning propellers and some with left hand airscrew rotation. Odd and even numbers helped to identify the differently set-up engines. Merlin engines had right-hand tractor propellers; therefore, odd serial numbers. (Griffon engines mostly had left-hand tractor props; therefore, even serial numbers.)"
That last is from http://www.enginehistory.org/Piston/Rolls-Royce/RHM/RHM.shtml

Molle? Never got to use it myself, we had Alice.

Question for the aviation minded, why did Merlin engines have none consecutive serial numbers?

Yeah, that was an easy one I guess. It was just called molle. I got the molle when it came out, I was actually happy with it because I could pack more shit in there. But they were bad on your back, reason they changed/changing.

Yeah, that was an easy one I guess. It was just called molle. I got the molle when it came out, I was actually happy with it because I could pack more shit in there. But they were bad on your back, reason they changed/changing.

I still prefer a Large Alice to the Molle ruck. I seems like every damn time I did a rucksack flop with the molle I would crack the plastic frame. I hear they finally upgraded the plastic frames to be more resilient, but once you cracked that frame it was a real pain in the ass to hump. A grunt shouldn't have to be delicate with his gear and gently lower a ruck to the ground to keep from breaking the frame. When that pig was fully loaded and you just assed out and flopped back I was always just waiting to hear the "crack". The molle vests weren't the best for weight distribution since the weight was all up on the shoulders and neck. You bet I could pack a bunch of shit on it but the vest was terrible. Just attached everything to the IBA and left the vest since we were were always wearing IBA outside the wire.

Reactions: 0dd and Barneybdb
This tree almost caused WW3....

Cheers,

Sirhr

Or had the gauntlet been picked up might have prevented the shit stew in which we currently swim on the domestic and global level.

Dont bring an ax to a nuclear roasting.

McCarthur was a meglomaniac ass but when he was right........

Or had the gauntlet been picked up might have prevented the shit stew in which we currently swim on the domestic and global level.
Your close, we had a chance to smoke fuck sticks, father an grandfather, in the zone in early 66. Anything in the zone was a freebee, but the fucking UN said no. The wonderful US MIC at work nothing more nothing less, that was the/a wake up call to me. It's not about doing the right thing, it's about protecting job's an the money merry-go-round. Good men have gave their lives thinking they were doing the right thing for this country but in reality it's about nothing but money. Seen the same shit in Cambodia when they recalled J.K. Singlaub for getting the job done,..
Sorry about the derail, but some things still chap my ass,...
edit to add, the last US President that was 200% for this country was Ike.

Reactions: Sean the Nailer
What was the very first operational move you made when issued a Claymore for the nights bush? An why?
Test the circuit with the M40 tester. So you'd know it would work when you squeezed the clacker. Short of that, check that no one got into it to use the c-4 for cooking/heating.

What was the very first operational move you made when issued a Claymore for the nights bush? An why?

Make sure some fuckwit hadn't taken the C4 out of it to brew their coffee and heat their C-Rats... and make it 2 pounds lighter for when they have to carry it through the boonies.

Not making that up, either.

Cheers,

Sirhr

I rember something about checking the plugs and the holes for the blasting caps are clear.....straining my brain to think of anything else.

Make sure there is something between you and the back of the mine, and carry the detonator with you so some fuck wit doesn't get spooked and bang on the clacker when your still setting it up.

Make sure there is something between you and the back of the mine, and carry the detonator with you so some fuck wit doesn't get spooked and bang on the clacker when your still setting it up.
your on the right track.

All
Remember how the items are/were packed, one item was always packed wrong, in everyone I was issued/used from 1965 to the last one I banged in 1986
Drawing board vs operational

Make sure the battery and/or leads are set properly (not reversed)

Uh, there's no batteries in the clacker. That is a Piezo-electric device, no? And, uh, um... there won't/shouldn't be an batteries in the mine, right? (or am I totally off my nut and watched the wrong movies?) :D

The mine as issued has no batterys. If setting a outer ring up to protect a CP, they all (mines)would be attached to a nail board. Only then would you use a battery from a jeep or it's slave cable to power them. The nail broads when set up properly allow for only one mine (Known location) or all mines to be detonated with a chowhaul metal spoon. You can set up to 30 mines off in less than 2 seconds if you have a good set of batterys or the jeep is left running ( SOP with us) The M4 bursters used to set off FUgas was set this way as well. A good nail board had CP, Nail board location/direction then a overlay of all mines/ FUgas locations an numbers. If you were on the perimeter you could ask for XX mine or FUgas to be set off prior to setting off the ones the guys on the inter perimeter controlled.

Uh, there's no batteries in the clacker. That is a Piezo-electric device, no? And, uh, um... there won't/shouldn't be an batteries in the mine, right? (or am I totally off my nut and watched the wrong movies?) :D

No, you're not off your nut. :) I was thinking a different detonator.

I always wondered though, could a field phone be used to set off a claymore? You know, the old TA-312's with the winder on the side...those things could zap the crap outta someone if they were holding onto the comm wire leads.

No, you're not off your nut. :) I was thinking a different detonator.

I always wondered though, could a field phone be used to set off a claymore? You know, the old TA-312's with the winder on the side...those things could zap the crap outta someone if they were holding onto the comm wire leads.
Yes they would if the battery's were good. The battery pack from most any radio back then would do it. C & D-cells would set them off as well, if your clacker went tits up.

The very first thing you did was back roll the wire as the clacker plug was the first off the reel as issued. Beyond stupid as FNG's would hook the clacker up first then roll out the wire. Totally wrong (an deadly) for a good bush setup as now your looking for a hole to bang it from, instead of placing the mine for max blast effect, then doing a hasty cover to bang it from. 4-6 mines set properly would get everyone in the KZ, an if you knew what you were doing you could push those remaining outside of the KZ into the beltfeds w/o issue. Claymores hung in trees or just below the water line give you a much bigger bang for the buck, an 2 claymores set at a 45* angle face to face an popped at the same time (wired together) had to be seen to be believed. Same as back to back to close a tunnel or cave entrance. Another common mistake was not running the wire at ground level. See many a wire shot into do to being above ground when the FNG's M16's an M60's got ahead of the clackers.

M/PMI you were the closest, your turn.

ha ha ha. The clacker plug is still first off the wire (at least it was in 2005. last time i banged one off). They always taught us to stake it down at your position and low crawl that fucker out unwinding as out as you went with the clacker in your bag or cargo pocket. set up, aim, camoflauge, and crawl back. Gunslinger is correct about keeping it low on the ground. burying it slighlty is best as you go back to help avoid detecction of the wire and as he so put it, avoid the wire getting shot to shit by outgoing direct fire.

*edit. after banging one off; the claymore bag makes an excellent field shaving kit for holding all your personal hygiene items in the top flap of your ruck.

Last edited:
after banging one off the claymore bag makes an excellent field shaving kit for holding all your personal hygiene items in the top flap of your ruck.
Speaking of the bags, anyone know who to find a claymore at night w/o night vision or thermal in a land far away?
We had more than on claymore turned around after it was set, bet your ass that's bad juju. One of the reason we had good cover just in case. After the first one was turned we left a present for them. They were quick studies an only made the mistake about 5-6 time in our A/O. We took the delay out of frags an placed them under the mine.
Once we learned how they were found it was so simple it was stupid, on our part. Once you get "local" you can smell them, an their gear. We were always around GI shit so our smells were natural to us, but in the bush with the wind or terrain just right you could crawl right up on their shit as they did ours. There after getting local, took on a whole new meaning. The bags were/are heavily impregnated to protect the contents, but in the woods it's like a skunk, once you get local.

Ok,... How about this,
Explain how the "Night Walk" is done, an what weapon was it mainly used with?
Or answer this one,
In a H type fighting hole w/ indirect over head protection, why are 3 or more holes dug deep in the main attachment trench?

Last edited:
This one has been really hard to nail down. What guns did the Cerisoles and Inkerman carry.

In case that is impossible, what is the term used to adjust azimuths according to what place in the world your map (and you) is in.

@sandwarrior , answer to B is "Declination", no?

Edited to add: According to wiki, each ship had two 4" deck guns. Never heard of any of that, so I had to search. "wooden plugs used instead of metal rivets"....???? holy crap!

Last edited:
What "bolt-action box-magazine-fed" military rifle design also has:
numerous pistol caliber conversions, as well as
both semi-automatic and full-automatic conversions designed for it?
Including internally suppressed conversions too?

Reactions: timesublime
@sandwarrior , answer to B is "Declination", no?

Edited to add: According to wiki, each ship had two 4" deck guns. Never heard of any of that, so I had to search. "wooden plugs used instead of metal rivets"....???? holy crap!
Declination "Diagram". But, yeah, you got the idea.

Cerisoles and Inkerman, best as I can figure, and from tapping as much of @sirhrmechanic 's brilliant historical mind, had four inch guns to shoot and destroy mines they had cut the cables to with a cutting plane and floated to the surface. Some got the idea they were for defense. Not so much. The design of that gun had started in 1902 as a 3" artillery piece and morphed with, successive marks, into ship guns of larger caliber. Meaning the design wasn't original, and had been upgraded with more useable features over the years. Yet, they were still obsolete as a combat gun. Obsolete, is a term used by idiots who don't know what to do with what they've got. Anyhow, they could shoot and destroy mines.

Last edited:
What "bolt-action box-magazine-fed" military rifle design also has:
numerous pistol caliber conversions, as well as
both semi-automatic and full-automatic conversions designed for it?
Including internally suppressed conversions too?
Lee Enfield

However, the Mondragon was actually more field implemented in the various forms that you speak of.

Had to go look back a ways to find this thread and it needs a wake-up.

Remember all of the marching songs and staying in step songs and things to keep cadence? hollered out by the Sgt. running that clusterfuck?

What were the lyrics and beat as to some of the march songs you sang when you were in that would now put a Libtard into Apoplexy?

I will start out with,"The Yellow Bird." and push it with "Saigon River." FM

We do need to resurrect this thread, it's one of my favorites on here and it's always got good people on it too!

I remember "Yellow Bird"... It went something like this but there were variations:

A yellow bird,
with a yellow bill.
Landed on
My window sill.
I lured him in.
With a piece of bread,
and then I SMASHED!
His fucking head!
I called the medic.
The medic said.
Dear man,
This bird is dead.

I might know Saigon River if I heard it. Does it go something like this:

Down by the river,
Took a little walk.
Ran into (name something)
We had a little talk.
We kicked 'em!
We beat 'em!
Threw 'em in the river...

There was one about shooting all the kiddies in a McDonalds with an Uzi... Probably the most fucked cadence I can recall.