• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Maggie’s Military Jeopardy

Deaf.

Black/female/minority "... to placate the Fair Employment Practices Committee's requirements."

Last edited:
Had an undercover SAS member play bagpipes causing the Iranians to stuff cotton in their ears. :ROFLMAO:

Resurrecting this thread again. Try to remember the rules. No using the internet to find the answer. (If you don't know the answer but are curious you can look it up for yourself but don't post the answer).

What do the dates May 29 1947, Oct 11 1947, September 12 1967, and July 11 1970 have in common?

• Sad
Reactions: Barneybdb
Resurrecting this thread again. Try to remember the rules. No using the internet to find the answer. (If you don't know the answer but are curious you can look it up for yourself but don't post the answer).

What do the dates May 29 1947, Oct 11 1947, September 12 1967, and July 11 1970 have in common?
Nuclear weapons tests of some kind?

Related. Not quite. Only the last one had radioactive material. Cobalt 57 only.
I don't think it'd be Broken Arrow incidents, then. Chemical weapons disposal doesn't sound quite right either. So I'm kinda stumped but I'm interested to find out.

Welp now I have an idea of what it was but since I went and looked it up, I'll keep mum.

Unrelated, I now know that there are thousands of oryx living in White Sands. Cool.

Well, I happen to know one date for sure, so I'm going to guess the same for the others. We shot a missile into Mexico. Accidentally.

If I'm remembering correctly, they did road construction outside, ran a jackhammer or some other loud tool.

Wikipedia attributes all three diversions

"At approximately 20:00, Oan became agitated by noises coming from the Ethiopian Embassy next door. The noise came from technicians who were drilling holes in the wall to implant listening devices, but PC Trevor Lock, when asked to identify the sound, attributed it to mice.[39] COBRA decided to create ambient noise to cover the sound created by the technicians and instructed British Gas to commence drilling in an adjacent road, supposedly to repair a gas main. The drilling was aborted after it agitated the gunmen, and instead British Airports Authority, owner of London Heathrow Airport, was told to instruct approaching aircraft to fly over the embassy at low altitude.[34][36]

That was a good one, Sirhr.

Reactions: sirhrmechanic
Welp now I have an idea of what it was but since I went and looked it up, I'll keep mum.

Unrelated, I now know that there are thousands of oryx living in White Sands. Cool.
And Kudu, and Nilgai.

I have a buddy, that way back in the day worked at/for White Sands.
His job ?
The .gov gave him a .458 winchester and told him to kill those critters.
He could never keep up, apparently they breed like rabbits.
Who knew.

And Kudu, and Nilgai.

I have a buddy, that way back in the day worked at/for White Sands.
His job ?
The .gov gave him a .458 winchester and told him to kill those critters.
He could never keep up, apparently they breed like rabbits.
Who knew.
Kudu and nilgai too? Didn't know that. But yeah, no predators to speak of and ideal living conditions for 'em, so they'd certainly just keep on making baby gemsbok to their hearts' content.

Kudu and nilgai too? Didn't know that. But yeah, no predators to speak of and ideal living conditions for 'em, so they'd certainly just keep on making baby gemsbok to their hearts' content.
Apparently they escaped from some odd Texas game ranch.....the rest is history.

Aircraftman Ross
Ok so this is an easy one...

This guy figured out how to kill trains with .450 Martini Rifles. Full name and correct spelling required.

Sirhr
AKA Thomas Edward Lawrence

ETA. Noted author, camel jockey and remarkably attracted to trains, to his eventual detriment.

Last edited:
Although we have a war that is commonly referred to as the "First" World War, it was hardly the first that involved many nations. Many people mark the French and Indian War or Seven Years War as the first world war. Whose actions are often credited with starting that war? This is an easy one, to get the ball rolling again.

On that one you have to wonder in hindsight, was it what amounts to an HR failure or the honeypot that ruined him.

Would the answer be Herbert Garland? Inventor of the Garland Grenade.

Glad to see this thread alive again. I learned all about the train and Martin Henry rifles in vintage last week. Never knew about that. Came here to revive this long dead thread, but realized I dont know enough obscure military history to make it challenging to the hide hive mind. Lot of very knowledgeable folks here.

What was the single most destructive bombing raid in history? Bonus points if you can name the operation. Apologies if this was asked previously in this thread.

Without looking it up, I'd first say "Dresden" and then second that with "Hanover". Unless you're referring to the Enola Gay with Hiroshima and Nagasaki.