• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Milspec camo for hunting...

error4o4

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 20, 2010
NE KS, USA
I live in NE Kansas, which is a combination of grassland and wooded areas. I'm thinking about picking up some milspec camo for the upcoming deer season, and might chase some turkey as well. I'm trying to get out of the treestand a bit and be more mobile. I'm thinking either Multicam or Digital Woodland. Any experience with either of these? I've read a few reviews and comparisons, but I'm looking for some firsthand knowledge.

Re: Milspec camo for hunting...

A military contracted pattern. I'm not looking for Realtree, Sitka, etc.

Try black. Just straight solid black. Or brown.

I'm not joking.

Yes, I do. Which is why I'm more concerned about patterns to break up an outline than colors.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: error4o4</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I live in NE Kansas, which is a combination of grassland and wooded areas. I'm thinking about picking up some milspec camo for the upcoming deer season, and might chase some turkey as well. I'm trying to get out of the treestand a bit and be more mobile. I'm thinking either Multicam or Digital Woodland. Any experience with either of these? I've read a few reviews and comparisons, but I'm looking for some firsthand knowledge. </div></div>
to answer your question... i use multicam... actually its all i use unless its snowing, the pattern works very well for where i am, mossy oak and realtree camo are a joke compared to what multicam will do in my hunting areas... realtree and mossyoak are a fad, some say any new camo patter is... but i use what works best in the field, and when multicam came out, it WORKED the BEST, plain and simple...so, colorblind or not, use what you want, use what works best for you...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: skinney</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: error4o4</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I live in NE Kansas, which is a combination of grassland and wooded areas. I'm thinking about picking up some milspec camo for the upcoming deer season, and might chase some turkey as well. I'm trying to get out of the treestand a bit and be more mobile. I'm thinking either Multicam or Digital Woodland. Any experience with either of these? I've read a few reviews and comparisons, but I'm looking for some firsthand knowledge. </div></div>
to answer your question... i use multicam... actually its all i use unless its snowing, the pattern works very well for where i am, mossy oak and realtree camo are a joke compared to what multicam will do in my hunting areas... realtree and mossyoak are a fad, some say any new camo patter is... but i use what works best in the field, and when multicam came out, it WORKED the BEST, plain and simple...so, colorblind or not, use what you want, use what works best for you... </div></div>

Awesome. This is the way I've been leaning. It blows my mind how expensive 'designer' camos have become. I just can't imagine it's that much better than less expensive military patterns. Thanks for the info.

A-Tacs, Multi-cam or NatGear... The rest turn into a black blob at distance...

I know NatGear is not "Mil-Spec" but its about the only commercial camo that breaks up your silhouette and does what camo is supposed to do...

Just my .02...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: elkhuntinguide</div><div class="ubbcode-body">A-Tacs, Multi-cam or NatGear... The rest turn into a black blob at distance...
</div></div>
x-actly, realtree or mossy oak might work up in a tree, but on the ground, in rocks, or lighter grass, its hard to beat the list you mentioned.

I wear a pair of green britches and an old woodland BDU blouse when in the woods. Most important thing is not to stink and cover up your face. Critters hate your face. I've had the best luck this year in my brown shorts and a yellow t-shirt.

+1 for Nat Gear, Just seems to blend better at distance were others don't. Mossy Oak Brush isn't bad, but darkens up some.

I just bought a pair of the new A-TACS ACU's to hunt in and they are awesome. I love the patern and I feel like more of a bad A hunting in ACU's :cool:

One important thing to remember is you don't want to wash your hunting outfit with any detergent that contains UV brighteners. Don't use fabric softener, use up to 1/2 cup of distilled white vinegar instead. It cuts the detergent smell and residue and will leave no smell behind.

Don't shave the next morning and wear unscented deodorant. I also make a habit of hanging my hunting clothes outside the night before to try and let as much of the outside air and natural smells penetrate the fabric as possible. I don't recommend doing that if you live downtown, but if you've got a tree in your backyard hang 'em up. I also tend to 'dog roll' in the grass or leaves before I head into the hunting grounds for a little natural cologne.
wink.gif

As long as your pattern breaks up your outline, the color doesn't matter so much. Wear a hat and keep it low over your eyes, move quietly, and merge your sounds with those of your environment. Try and keep something between you and where you expect your target to be - like a bush that will help hide your outline.

Camouflage is more about behavior and preparation to me than it is colors and patterns. FWIW, I stick with medium gray t-shirts and lighter blue jeans or khaki work pants as a base. I use dark green long johns to cover my arms on cooler mornings, a dark brown boonie style hat and usually the cheap woodland camo hunting vest from Wally World over top of my shirt to hold ammunition and small game. In the winter with some snow down, I'll drape wide white t-shirt shreds over my coat, hat, and gun to break up the outlines of everything. Deer, squirrels, and rabbits usually don't see me unless I have to move to line up a quick shot. I've also had hunting partners lose me while sitting 3-10 yards away, so it works on humans too
grin.gif

Have fun with it, and see what works for your environment!

I have no idea how our forefathers put meat on the table with these epistles to the church of hunter showing the new gospel.

The patterns are good for deer hunting (multicam is particularly well suited). However, although I'm not a huge believer in the scent control carbon/silver obsession... it does matter. Especially if you want to tag a trophy buck. Big, older bucks didn't get that way because they're stupid and a deer's nose is its first line of defense. Some deer don't seem to care and they're the ones that get dead. That being said, washing non-scent control camo in scent control detergent and using a scent eliminating spray is a very good practice and alot cheaper than most of the scent control camo.

If you do decide on scent control infused camo, look into Rocky brand but also remember that ir still must be washed in scent control detergent and scent elimination spray is a MUST.

As far as turkeys go... they can't smell shit but they have the best eyes in the woods. They can see you a mile away if not properly camo'd. Also, if you was your clothes in regular detergent, they will fade on a UV level. makes certain greens appear neaon blue. We can't see it, but SUPPOSEDLY turkeys can.

To sum it up...

Scent control/UV protected detergent is a must!

Note: This opinion is based on biased research and moderate personal experince.

Hope it helps.

If you want to get hard core you can buy dow piss spray at Cabela's or most larger sporting goods stores. Just be sure to gargle with it so your breath won't give you away :cool:

Multicam, Atacs, and the various other camo patterns will work great. Most of the game animals have issues with depth perception (part of the reason they wind up road kill so easily) so anything that breaks up your outline will work wonders and as others have mentioned (as far as I know) they are color blind for normal visible spectrums.

Hold still, stay quiet, and do watch the scent and you'll be good to go. Be careful with the cover scents, too much fox pee just might scare them away. LOL

On a side note, I do remember a few years ago you could buy camo sunglasses (the lens was a see-through camo) so the animals couldn't see your eyes.

Charlie

I didn't realize they had camo glasses. That is as hard core as spraying your self with animal piss

Go naked... nothing like skull dragging while being nude.... Plus the animals gat excited and come to you instead of you going to them!!!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rmyers2213</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I didn't realize they had camo glasses. That is as hard core as spraying your self with animal piss </div></div>

They were primarily marketing them to turkey hunters since they supposedly have superior eye sight and the hunting is considerably closer.

http://www.arkansasduckhunter.com/camosunglasses.asp

(wanted to link the manufacturer's site but they have these annoying sounds playing)
http://www.camovision.com/index.php?opti...1&Itemid=26

Definitely marketing.

Charlie

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CS1983</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have no idea how our forefathers put meat on the table with these epistles to the church of hunter showing the new gospel. </div></div>

The best bucks I ever killed were when I just had Liberty or Carhartt bibs and a plaid flannel shirt on. The key to gettin close to game is playing the wind and being still. Use natural stuff like rocks and trees. I sit on the ground against a big tree or rock most of the time. Sometimes I wear camo and sometimes I don't. Hell I even killed a nice buck one evening a few years ago with black sweatpants, blue sweatshirt and tennis shoes on. Deer never knew I was there until it was too late.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mr.Kirk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Critters hate your face.</div></div>

hahaha thats funny right there.

Any camo will work. Sudden movement, sky-lining yourself, walking out in the open, and not paying attention to the wind will get you busted every time.
Scent control is only for the 1st day of the hunt hahaha. 2nd day you gotta clean up with baby wipes, re-apply talc to your balls and another coat of uscented deodorant.
Unless you are staying at some fancy hunting lodge and can shower, otherwise its a whore-shower and then off into the early morning darkness.

Thanks for all the replies. I think multicam is the way to go. From the tests I've seen, it will be well suited to the area I hunt. I'll post some pics and a follow up after I pick some up.

Back home we wear a pair boots of rugby shorts, a swandry (thick wool shirt) and a leather belt with a knife on it. O yea, a woolie hat if its cold....Done!

Don't underestimate the old Woodland Camo as well if you are hanging out in a wooded area.....

If you really want to dissapear you are going to have to have several different shades of camo. 3d is essentional the best for is one made from the enviroment you hunt in. In the fall I pin the very largest leaves from the native trees on my coat, pack, headnet, and weapon. I am not ashamed to admit my favorite place to hunt is in a woods that No one is allowed to be in. The owner patrols it often and would just shit himself if he had any idea how many times he has passed within 50 yards of me. Stay off the trails stay in the shadows and move like a cat, every single move must be absolutly nessary, Put your shoes in your backpack and feel your way your bare feet this way your eyes are never taken off your surroundings and breaking a twig is going to hurt,therfore your not going to do it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: killahog</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I am not ashamed to admit my favorite place to hunt is in a woods that No one is allowed to be in. The owner patrols it often and would just shit himself if he had any idea how many times he has passed within 50 yards of me. </div></div>
its a damn good thing u don't live by me, cause ur ass would be grass.

I often do use grass and other natural folige to break up my outline.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: killahog</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am not ashamed to admit my favorite place to hunt is in a woods that No one is allowed to be in. The owner patrols it often and would just shit himself if he had any idea how many times he has passed within 50 yards of me.</div></div>
Classy, knowingly admitting to trespassing another mans honey hole. I suppose you peep on his wife too...cause after all...as long as he doesn't catch you, it must be ok right?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: killahog</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you really want to dissapear you are going to have to have several different shades of camo. 3d is essentional the best for is one made from the enviroment you hunt in. In the fall I pin the very largest leaves from the native trees on my coat, pack, headnet, and weapon. I am not ashamed to admit my favorite place to hunt is in a woods that No one is allowed to be in. The owner patrols it often and would just shit himself if he had any idea how many times he has passed within 50 yards of me. Stay off the trails stay in the shadows and move like a cat, every single move must be absolutly nessary, Put your shoes in your backpack and feel your way your bare feet this way your eyes are never taken off your surroundings and breaking a twig is going to hurt,therfore your not going to do it. </div></div>

You're the reason legit hunters have to work so hard to hunt private ground in many areas. This attitude pisses me off, at least have a little respect and stay off the ground someone apparently doesn't want you.

On another note, I have some multicam on the way. I think it will be a great match for my surroundings during deer/turkey seasons. I've looked at the A-Tacs and think that would've worked as well. I didn't find nearly as much availability. I think I'll give it a try next, though.

error,
you'll like the multicam, the 3d bg fade and spots make it a great camo pattern for many areas, let us know how it works.

Marpat/Digi/nat Gear nuff said, killahog, your welcome to my honeyhole anytime be sure to bring a box that fits.

Hell the biggest deer I have shot to date was with jeans, a black carhart sweatshirt, sprayed with scent killer, and shot the deer at 12y with a 12ga H&R Ultra Slug. Scent is much more important where I hunt here in MI than camo patterns.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: EricF517</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hell the biggest deer I have shot to date was with jeans, a black carhart sweatshirt, sprayed with scent killer, and shot the deer at 12y with a 12ga H&R Ultra Slug. Scent is much more important where I hunt here in MI than camo patterns. </div></div>
biggest deer, elk, and bobcat i ever got i was wearin multicam, shot em all ranging from 500-350yds, sure scent plays a part, so does sight and hearing, and to be more successful you need to fool more than one sense... just sayin.