• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Minor gun nomenclature irritations

Veer_G

Beware of the Dildópony!
Minuteman
Jun 15, 2008
SEPA
I know that we're never going to able to cure the press of referring to the likes of SIG P229Rs, 1911s, and Glock 17s as "service revolvers," or referring to everything associated with a long-barreled weapon as "high-powered," but I just don't get some of the solecisms on the part of people who are at least mildly interested enough in firearms and shooting to write back and forth about it on internet forums.

DOA -- isn't that an acronym for "dead on arrival"? And yet, why is it that I consistently see it, instead of DAO, when people are referring to pistols that are double action only?

So, what bugs you? Magazines vs. clips? Threads like this?

whistle.gif

Re: Minor gun nomenclature irritations

Mags vs clips bugs the hell outta me!

Muzzle breaks ...

blownbarrel1.jpg

... although I think that one does qualify.

I pull my gat, slap in a clip, bumpfire it hip high,at nothing at all, drop the spent clip, slap in an aftermarket 30-rounder and spray. what is the problem?

And the famous sks sniper rifle

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shankster</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I pull my gat, slap in a clip, bumpfire it hip high,at nothing at all, drop the spent clip, slap in an aftermarket 30-rounder and spray. what is the problem? </div></div>

LOL! Did you buy everything at CTD too?
grin.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shankster</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I pull my gat, slap in a clip, bumpfire it hip high,at nothing at all, drop the spent clip, slap in an aftermarket 30-rounder and spray. what is the problem? </div></div>

As long as your Hefty Sack isn't wimpy, wimpy, wimpy, who cares?

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/wEuuECHZaeU"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/wEuuECHZaeU" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

BOLO: M***r, who's sure to follow, staggering in in his trampy high heels ...

solecisms = Norm Crosby

Example

Thomas Edison, who invented electric lights--he dedicated his life to humanity. Edison went to remote Indian reservations and strung electric wire to the outhouses so that the older Indians could have illumination.
Don't ever forget. He was the first man in history to wire a head for a reservation.

Most Americans butcher the English language anyway. Why should firearms stuff be spared?

But I must admit, "assault weapon" is tops of my shit list, especially when referring to any semiautomatic rifle that bears a purely cosmetic resemblance to some military weapon or other.

Mine is "High Powered Rifle" especially when used by Leaf Licking,Bunny Hugging,Liberal Fuctards in relation to hunting !!!

They always jump back about three feet when I scream "Guess I oughta use a LOW POWERED RIFLE so they can DIE SLOWLY!!!!!"

They usually leave without saying another word.

I like "shot my gun". I have shot various and sundry things in my time, but never a gun.

My two are:
mags vs clip
Round/cartridge vs shells/bullets

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Fred_C_Dobbs</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
But I must admit, "assault weapon" is tops of my shit list, especially when referring to any semiautomatic rifle that bears a purely cosmetic resemblance to some military weapon or other. </div></div>

To those idiots a 10/22 dressed up in the Tapco gear would fit the bill. Tree rat killer to wanna be machine gun in about 10 minutes. What the hell are you going to assault with one, attacking beer cans? My varmint profiled AR with 6x-24x-44mm scope and a fine duplex reticle usually get thrown in the assault rifle category, I'd like to see somebody try to assault anything with it. It weighs about 14 lbs and is a pain in the ass to carry much less shoot off hand. The only thing CQB it's gonna do is be used as a door jamming crow bar,
laugh.gif

"Hi caliber" bugs me.
"Assault weapon" never had a weapon come to my house and assault me.
"Clip and magazine"
"Blueprinted"
"Rap artist" contridiction in terms.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mr blasty</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Mags vs clips bugs the hell outta me! </div></div>

This, specificly the people who argue about it and try to call everything a clip...

Point Blank Range, as if this is really close range or short distance. Point Blank is the range that a firearm will shoot without having to elevate the muzzle to hit the target. With something like a 22/250, depending on the size of the target, Point Blank may be well over 100 meters or more. An old artillery term. Regards, FM

Not nomenclature but it sure pisses me off to hear some reporter use the term. FM

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Foul Mike</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Point Blank Range, as if this is really close range or short distance. Point Blank is the range that a firearm will shoot without having to elevate the muzzle to hit the target. With something like a 22/250, depending on the size of the target, Point Blank may be well over 100 meters or more. An old artillery term. Regards, FM </div></div>

I like its equivalent in Spanish much better, <span style="font-style: italic"> a quemarropa,</span> literally, "at clothes-burning." I can picture small arms fire from up close and powder burns in clothing, but can you just imagine the same affect from freakin' <span style="font-style: italic">artillery?</span> It should be more like "at human hamburger-sieving with a colander," or something equally descriptive.

crazy.gif

ALL of the above..., and, for revolver shooters, the man who designed a flat-topped front post sight was named PATRIDGE, not PARTRIDGE. Patridge front sights give a nice square sight picture. I can only assume that Partridge sights are for shooting birds.

Very anal of me, I know, but I have Grammar Nazi tendencies.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: The Mechanic</div><div class="ubbcode-body">"Hi caliber" bugs me.
"Assault weapon" never had a weapon come to my house and assault me.
"Clip and magazine"
"Blueprinted" <span style="color: #FF0000">(I especially dislike this one too)</span>
"Rap artist" contridiction in terms.</div></div>

yup.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SANDRAT</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Mine is "High Powered Rifle" especially when used by Leaf Licking,Bunny Hugging,Liberal Fuctards in relation to hunting !!!

They always jump back about three feet when I scream <span style="font-size: 14pt"><span style="font-weight: bold">"Guess I oughta use a LOW POWERED RIFLE so they can DIE SLOWLY!!!!!"</span></span>

They usually leave without saying another word.</div></div>

Oh, I gotta use that line. Very good.

Wizzum
Shotty
Leupy
M4gery

Any elitist gun forum member terminology.

How about recticle, rectical? I Why is this so damn hard? I use reticles in my scopes. Not some sort of anal exams.

Wizzum? Sounds slightly related to what bears do behind dumpsters.

'assault rifle' or 'assault weapon'

..like you can have a rifle that isn't for assaulting someone or something? Show me ONE weapon that isn't for 'assault'. Whenever someone asks if I have an 'assault rifle' I tell em I got a pepper gun too.

Magazine/Clip
Using "Bullet" universally for cartridge, shell, casing, etc.
Muzzle Break (it's brake, like the brakes on your car. You don't want breaks on your car, those are bad.)
Assault Rifle
High-Powered Machine Gun to describe a semi-automatic rifle
Turrents or Torrents in place of Turrets

And a myriad of others that I can't think of right off the top of my head.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: GardDog223</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Wizzum
Shotty
Leupy
M4gery

Any elitist gun forum member terminology. </div></div>

M4gery and Leupy are my favorite ones to use when describing a gold ring scope some asshat calls a 'sniper scope' and some oxygen thief calls his 16" wannabe an M4 when it's an M4gery due to all the little bells and whistle parts on his range queen/safe queen.
As to shotty, hmmmm, I'll start using that one too just to piss in people's cheerios.

Although I do have to agree that when someone calls a 30 round magazine a clip it just irritates me. My Garand owning son hates that and always corrects people by showing them what a 'clip' is that he carries in his messenger bag as a good luck souvenier

The worst ever term: Assault Weapon. No such thing. It's almost a double negative. It makes no sense especailly when one reads the original term Sturmgewer. Assault Rifle described as a 'selective fire' rifle that has the ability to shoot either one round at a time or fully automatic.

Any term that refers to a firearm as somethin gmore than a tool. That's all a firearm is. It's a tool designed to shoot a bullet. Whtehr it is used to take game, punch paper, defend house and home, or in war it is only a tool and nothing more

The worst thing though, is some asshole taking up valuable bandwidth with overexcessive bullshit typing the stuff I just did
grin.gif

I don't like it when a so called expert calls a "cartridge" a "caliber". An expert should know what a "caliber" is. And it is definitely not a "cartridge". Tom.

"Great Glass for the Money",roughly translated:I think it is kind of a POS and I would rather not have one,but it is OK if you want to spend your money on it.

"Hunting Scope" falls in the same category.

Couple of years ago one of the Memphis news anchors (whose initials are Joe Birch) reported a person "shot dead" with a “Semi automatic service revolver”.

Recticle cracks me up. I also like those who just got new set of "Shavorskis".

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Veer G</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
So, what bugs you? Magazines vs. clips? Threads like this?

whistle.gif

</div></div>

People that don't fill out their profiles !!!!!
laugh.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Foul Mike</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Point Blank Range, as if this is really close range or short distance. Point Blank is the range that a firearm will shoot without having to elevate the muzzle to hit the target. With something like a 22/250, depending on the size of the target, Point Blank may be well over 100 meters or more. An old artillery term. Regards, FM </div></div>

I swear this gives me flashbacks of SSAC in Quantico. The instructors would go into a 30 minute rant
mad.gif
on the media getting this one wrong!

Shooters who honor the memory of the inventor of the Garand by mispronouncing his name.

It's a "magazine" not a "clip". When speaking of Garands (btw, like mayorclum mentioned, most mispronounce his name), SKS, etc. "clip" is correct. If it's a Glock, AR, etc. it's a damn magazine!

Just because the rifle is black, with a synthetic stock, and has a scope on it does not mean it's a "sniper rifle".

Referring to a rifle by it's main use is completely acceptable IMO. For example, my AR is used primarily for 3Gun competition. I call it, "my 3Gun rifle". My 11-87 has a 26" barrel and is used more for dove or skeet than anything else. Depending on the day, it's either my "dove gun" or my "clay gun". My STI is my, "match gun" and so on.

Not related to the original post but along the same lines,
your = possession
you're = you are

Minor deviation: misspellings, like SIAGA, drive me nuts. And no, I don't think that they're constant typos, or people who are content to hit SUBMIT without making sure that they want to commit something to permanence. I really think that some people repeat something incorrectly, like, I'm gonna get me a SIAGA, or, one day I'm gonna see me the bright lights of ATALANTA, and there it's stuck.

saigainrussian.png

... at least they're not trying to call it a "canta."

What's even funnier is that if you do a Google search on "siaga," look what comes up first!

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&source=hp&q=siaga

for me its the magazine/clip misnomer, then its calling my tricked out cool looking varmint rifle a sniper rifle(which by the way is nothing more than a tricked out hunting rifle in my opinion) and the assault rifle thing. none of my inlaws can get it right...drives me up the wall

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TLong</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You go to the range to SHOOT,(present)...your friend SHOT your rifle (past). You don't shot a five shoot group. </div></div>

That would really piss me off, too. If my friend <span style="font-style: italic">shot</span> my rifle. Friends like that... who needs enemies?

If you don't get it, refer to my earlier post
eek.gif

Ok, I can see I'm not as edgy as most.

One thing that really makes me mad is when someone sees my Glock and says something like, "Oh damn, man you got a nine!"

I hate having to explain to people that guns, pistols especially, come in many different calibers and if you went off sticking a 9mm in every thing you found laying around you might end up disappointed. And then getting into the conversation on how the 9mm is a inferior round compared to many of the pistol cartridges available. Now that really gets me.

I was really pleased to not have to explain about what Point Blank is. Trying to explain that to local "journalists and other reporters," is like trying to help them out with, "The Sun is Shining."
I really liked the " a quemarropa " meaning clothes on fire.
Our journalists need a new Buzz word or Buzz phrase that is more accurate.
Do you have anything in mind that we could pass on to the journalist mind set that would be more in line as to what is right and what is wrong? Regards, FM

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Greedy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Recticle cracks me up. I also like those who just got new set of "Shavorskis". </div></div>

I have an uncle like that. Gets stuck like a broken record on the last syllable of "Worcestershire" and tries to pronounce everything he sees in the word. It's <span style="font-style: italic"><span style="font-weight: bold">WOO-STIR-SHEER.</span></span>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Retoocs</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Leupold pronounced lee-up-pold </div></div>
If they'da spelt it right, we wouldn't hafta misdenounce it!
mad.gif

Magazine / clip is the most common and irritating followed closely with shells, bullets, cartridge, and round retardations.

The constant misuse of the term "point blank" really bugs the crap out of me, followed by the term "assault rifle" to describe any semi auto gun. Even the tards running my local range don't know what an assault rifle is, or a magazine for that matter. There are signs hanging at every bench reading "when shooting assault rifles the clips will be loaded with no more than THREE (3) rounds at a time" The reasoning behind the rule still baffles me. Really though, wtf is a sign like that being plastered all over a shooting range for.

Slightly off topic, but another one that irritates me is when morons call someone else a "looser". I'm not quite sure what a "looser" is but I'm pretty sure they are trying to say loser.

This one got me.. A buddy was returning some of those tubbs lapping bullets to MIDWAY the other day.

Well at the UPS store the clerk asked him to disclose what he was shipping, he replies "sporting goods" the fella then asks to be more specific then he says "firearms accessories" Lol after that the clerk lost it saying its illegal to ship that stuff yadda yadda yadda can I examine the package. Upon examining he finds a muzzle brake, monopod, a can of duracoat and the tubb lapping bullets.

The clerk asks what the Tubb box was and my buddy replies "bullets" then the guy goes apeshit saying "ammunition! ammunition! you can't ship this" Calmly my friend says no ammunition just bullets.

Needless to say he had to explain to him the difference but thats here nor there dont expect everybody to know the difference. However that's the one that gets me calling ammunition "bullets" "Put some bullets in the clip!"

lol offtopic but the best part was when the guy was repacking the contents he dropped the duracoat which then went all over the floor and his shoes behind the counter. lol was I an asshole for laughing out loud?!

Clip instead of magazine...a clip is used in old-school rifles like the Garand, ya moron!

"Bullets," "shells," etc. when referring to unfired cartridges or rounds of ammunition. A "shell" does a hell of a lot more damage than a bullet, and carries a payload.

DOA instead of DAO, "automatic" in reference to any semi-automatic, "Assault rifle" in general, and juvenile video-game-playing spray-and-pray airsoft brats calling anything with a scope a "sniper rifle."