• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Minox ZP5 turrets not aligned

It’s been pretty well established that the QC and turrets have greatly improved. Your story doesn’t tell the story anymore and no one wants to hear it anymore.

Would love to see the evidence you gathered for that claim. And if you don’t like it then skip
Past the post. No need to whine. Just sharing my experience with the OP.

To the OP. Losen the set screws and tighten them back in small increments. Sometimes if one is tightened down too much first it can tilt the cap (like on the mk5s) and it will be off at some point in the rotation.

I had one that was a little off. I pushed the cap all the way down when tighting the screws and then it was lined up perfect. Could be something simple. Dial up a few mils losen screws and rezero it. Tighten and see what happens. I wouldnt just send it in just yet.

Great idea, I just got home and tried it
.. no dice. I'm hoping this cap does it for me.

I personally dont mind the trash talking. And I feel like I've read most of the ZP5 threads on here! That being said, I still have a lot of faith in minox. If they'll take care of me and my scope functions as designed then I'll be happy. I'm glad the guy is willing to give me some options before telling me to send my scope away to summer camp.

To those that own a ZP5, have you ever had problems with the set screws making flat spots on the spline? The reason I ask is that I have a few barrels for the gun I'm putting it on and I'm not looking for drama re zeroing semi often.

To the OP. Losen the set screws and tighten them back in small increments. Sometimes if one is tightened down too much first it can tilt the cap (like on the mk5s) and it will be off at some point in the rotation.

I had one that was a little off. I pushed the cap all the way down when tighting the screws and then it was lined up perfect. Could be something simple. Dial up a few mils losen screws and rezero it. Tighten and see what happens. I wouldnt just send it in just yet.

That’s interesting and I’ve never thought about trying this. I’ll give it a shot the next time I get to the range.

Reactions: MOUNTIC
I just checked mine which is a newer white box version 5-25. Mine stays in perfect alignment all the way to the top of the elevation range. I counted every click checking alignment every 5 clicks. I called Blaser twice before I bought mine to confirm whether or not the warranty is transferable (it is) and found them to be very responsive both times. If they aren't responding, I'd bet its COVID quarantine thing.

I had a first batch ZP5, all the turrets lined up perfectly and the elevation turret felt great. The windage turret was a little mushy.

I recently sent it in for the turret upgrade and couldn't be happier. Elevation turret is firmer and the windage turret is now very good and tactile. The illumination turret also has very distinct detents. They weren't as distinct before.

There will always be a very vocal minority of people who get scopes that have issues from just about every brand.

Reactions: M77
Minox did have some turrets get by QC that were not engraved correctly. I got a replacement cap for one I had sold and it lined up fine after being replaced.

It’s been pretty well established that the QC and turrets have greatly improved. Your story doesn’t tell the story anymore and no one wants to hear it anymore.
I will agree to disagree with you on that. QC on Minox equipment is poor, and QC on their repairs is even poorer.

OP - try some of the adjustments discussed. But I wouldn't hesitate to send it in - they're supposed to take care of these. You'll be without it for months and it may not come back repaired, but that's why I don't buy Minox. It will eventually be fixed, but don't get in a rush. For me, if I was spending $2k+, I'd want the scope's optomechanical systems to be operating perfectly. Outside bumps and bruises are acceptable on a used scope - optomechanical issues are not unless they were disclosed by the previous owner prior to payment/shipment.

I will just add that the turrets on my ZP5 line up perfectly through the 14 MILs that I tested. I would give Blaser a call when you get a chance and just have it sent in for repairs. Like what others have mentioned, Blaser will send it to Germany so it'll be around 2 months before you get it back.

The new turret is in the mail headed my way. Time will tell.

Also my windage and elevation turrets dont feel the same but that doesnt sound uncommon and I dont dial for wind so I'm not too worried. The detents for my illumination are ok ish (more like a bump in the road as opposed to a pot hole, no definitive stop) but I'll be looking through the optic to determine what setting I want so again not a huge deal.

Finally got home to check my ZP5. White box version. Photos taken of alignment at 0, .7D zero stop, 5 mil, 10 mil, 15 mil (0 second rev), 20 mil. I have no alignment problems and this is what you should expect to have.

The elevation is extremely positive and I quite like the feel. The resistance into the second rev is a touch more stiff starting at 13.7 ending at 14.3 then back to normal.

The windage turret is a little less positive but not what I would call mushy. Not quite as loud as the elevation but I don't plan to dial wind that often.

My illumination knob feels similar to how you describe yours.

Attachments

• IMG_20200606_134311221_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20200606_134311221_HDR.jpg
    346.4 KB · Views: 69
  • IMG_20200606_134319944_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20200606_134319944_HDR.jpg
    337.4 KB · Views: 66
  • IMG_20200606_134359909_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20200606_134359909_HDR.jpg
    400 KB · Views: 67
  • IMG_20200606_134338976_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20200606_134338976_HDR.jpg
    305.1 KB · Views: 64
  • IMG_20200606_134449100_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20200606_134449100_HDR.jpg
    320.5 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG_20200606_134415108_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20200606_134415108_HDR.jpg
    345 KB · Views: 60
Reactions: delfuego
Finally got home to check my ZP5. White box version. Photos taken of alignment at 0, .7D zero stop, 5 mil, 10 mil, 15 mil (0 second rev), 20 mil. I have no alignment problems and this is what you should expect to have.

The elevation is extremely positive and I quite like the feel. The resistance into the second rev is a touch more stiff starting at 13.7 ending at 14.3 then back to normal.

The windage turret is a little less positive but not what I would call mushy. Not quite as loud as the elevation but I don't plan to dial wind that often.

My illumination knob feels similar to how you describe yours.

Thank you. That helps a lot. I'll get it sorted out soon enough. Was able to shoot it yesterday and it did fine on everything I shot. And that was 860. It will be nice to have it right though.

Reactions: delfuego
This thread prompted me to finally run a tall target test with my ZP5. It passed with flying colors to 20 mils/36” at 50 yards.

The turrets feel great and line up everywhere throughout the full range of travel. I guess my only complaint is that there’s a tiny bit of play at each stop, as everyone else has noted. Doesn’t bother me or slow me down at all.

Reactions: deersniper
This thread prompted me to finally run a tall target test with my ZP5. It passed with flying colors to 20 mils/36” at 50 yards.

The turrets feel great and line up everywhere throughout the full range of travel. I guess my only complaint is that there’s a tiny bit of play at each stop, as everyone else has noted. Doesn’t bother me or slow me down at all.
Totally agree, I was running the turrets as fast as I could accurately while walking the gun out on 5 targets and was extremely happy with how easy they were to index.

Thanks for the test results. I'll run mine once the turret cap shows up.

Reactions: Tac Beard
Thank you. That helps a lot. I'll get it sorted out soon enough. Was able to shoot it yesterday and it did fine on everything I shot. And that was 860. It will be nice to have it right though.
Hoping the new turret housing will do the trick. If you do need to send it in, I sent mine in back in March right before the Chinese Virus shut everything down, I was expecting massive delays but Minox had the scope back to me by mid May, went to Germany and back, got new set of turrets that are impressively better than the old ones - very little play and very distinct clicks. @canezach got to play with them and really liked them, a definite improvement over the “older” turrets that weren’t bad as they always landed true but just not as loud/distinct as the new ones and very little wiggle. The “new” turrets are closer in feel and sound to my old Kahles (which I loved) and my new ZCO!

Hoping the new turret housing will do the trick. If you do need to send it in, I sent mine in back in March right before the Chinese Virus shut everything down, I was expecting massive delays but Minox had the scope back to me by mid May, went to Germany and back, got new set of turrets that are impressively better than the old ones - very little play and very distinct clicks. @canezach got to play with them and really liked them, a definite improvement over the “older” turrets that weren’t bad as they always landed true but just not as loud/distinct as the new ones and very little wiggle. The “new” turrets are closer in feel and sound to my old Kahles (which I loved) and my new ZCO!

If it comes to it... I'll wait to send it in till the riots stop. I'm hearing of a lot of smashed/looted packages.

P.S. I'm trying not to think of the ZCO I was saving for...

Reactions: Glassaholic
Turret just showed up! Installed it with no issues. And here are the results!

Only came with one set screw ( odd but fine) and markings look a bit more vibrant.
New cap on the left.
20200610_160514.jpg

Zero stop is at -0.8 mils, old was -0.7 (again just fine)
20200610_161114.jpg

And the important part!
20200610_161043.jpg

20200610_161053.jpg

20200610_161100.jpg

Looks great!

Thanks guys for all the help! The minox boys were fast and now that I think of it there was no proof of ownership.

So nothing more than a misaligned laser printing and no real mechanical issues. Awesome deal and happy to see Minox is responsive.

Reactions: M77 and Tac Beard
So nothing more than a misaligned laser printing and no real mechanical issues. Awesome deal and happy to see Minox is responsive.
Me too, not sure why the previous owner lived with it for a whole year... makes the whole scope look better when I know it's all right.

Very happy with minox over all.

Reactions: Bradv86
Turret just showed up! Installed it with no issues. And here are the results!

Only came with one set screw ( odd but fine) and markings look a bit more vibrant.
New cap on the left.
View attachment 7348336

Zero stop is at -0.8 mils, old was -0.7 (again just fine)
View attachment 7348337

And the important part!
View attachment 7348339
View attachment 7348340
View attachment 7348341

Looks great!

Thanks guys for all the help! The minox boys were fast and now that I think of it there was no proof of ownership.
That's fantastic news, and thrilled it was simply a printed turret housing issue and not an issue with the internals!

So I tried reaching out to Yim at blaserusa because she was so helpful before about possibly replacing the elevation turret, but apparently the customer service on a 3k optic stops there because I was referred to their service request for on their website. Guess it's off to Germany. :\

Contact the service department and inform them what is happening. I emailed Blaser USA telling them about the mis alignment and that the scope is in otherwise perfect working order. Got an email the following day that a turret would be shipped over from Germany in the next order, don’t know how long that will be, but feel like the customer service was very responsive and fast.

Anyone have experience getting a ZP line scope warranty repair as a third or more owner? Minox website states that they only warranty to the first two owners. They state they require original proof of purchase and then proof of buying it from the original owner. Seems like a lot but it's on their website. I'd hate to have a scope of this caliber not covered under warranty. Oddly enough, they also state you must email them to find out the warranty specifics on the ZP line, which is excluded in the "30 year total coverage warranty" pdf below. Thanks for any info.

Anyone have experience getting a ZP line scope warranty repair as a third or more owner? Minox website states that they only warranty to the first two owners. They state they require original proof of purchase and then proof of buying it from the original owner. Seems like a lot but it's on their website. I'd hate to have a scope of this caliber not covered under warranty. Oddly enough, they also state you must email them to find out the warranty specifics on the ZP line, which is excluded in the "30 year total coverage warranty" pdf below. Thanks for any info.

Best recommendation is to contact Minox directly, tell them your situation and be polite about it. I have found most reputable companies will honor warranty work even if your situation falls out of warranty. Back in the early 90's I bought a S&W 686 used that ended up having trigger issues. I called S&W first and explained the situation that I was a second owner and they told me that their warranty only applied to original owners. I still needed to get the work done and decided to ship it in along with a letter (remember when we actually wrote letters) stating my disappointment with their warranty policy only covering original owner especially if the issue is a defect in their workmanship. A few weeks later i received my 686 back with the trigger fully functional and a statement they repaired it "under warranty".

Best recommendation is to contact Minox directly, tell them your situation and be polite about it. I have found most reputable companies will honor warranty work even if your situation falls out of warranty. Back in the early 90's I bought a S&W 686 used that ended up having trigger issues. I called S&W first and explained the situation that I was a second owner and they told me that their warranty only applied to original owners. I still needed to get the work done and decided to ship it in along with a letter (remember when we actually wrote letters) stating my disappointment with their warranty policy only covering original owner especially if the issue is a defect in their workmanship. A few weeks later i received my 686 back with the trigger fully functional and a statement they repaired it "under warranty".
Sound advice. Good news is I don’t need warranty work (yet) as I haven’t purchased the used scope already. I emailed them and haven’t heard back yet. As far as I know the scope is in great shape and may not have been registered yet but I would be the 3rd owner.
Thanks for the help.