• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Mixing naked & molycoated bullets, bad accuracy???

MrXtreme

Private
Minuteman
Jun 16, 2010
Sweden
Hi Reloaders & Shooters!
I have a 6XC with a 22" 1-8" Krieger on a Tikka T3, i have a great number of Norma factory loaded 105grs Berger(moly)that shoots constantly around 1/4"-3/8". The problem is that i can´t use the bergers for hunting deersized game, for deer i´ll run 95grs BT.
Because of my great numbers of "moly" bergers i still want to shoot that also, on paper!!!
Is it Okey to run both of them??
Question from a former "no moly shooter".

Regards Tommy

Re: Mixing naked & molycoated bullets, bad accuracy???

You can run both of them but keep in mind that the pressure between the two will be different, which at longer ranges may be evident.

Bad idea.

For one thing, as vman noted, the chamber pressure will vary probably 2-3K psi between coated bullets and naked bullets using the same charge. Beyond safety concerns, this definitely will be reflected in your MVs.

The other thing is that naked bullets will gradually remove the moly coating from your barrel's conditioned bore, which means the coefficient of friction will continue to change shot-by-shot so long as you're shooting naked bullets unless and until you shoot so many that it completely strips the coating from the bore. That in itself makes problems for your moly bullets because their CF also will change from shot to shot until you've fired so many that they once again fully condition your bore.

Okey, thanks to you guys!
I´ll only running my 6XC on paper with moly´s when i hear this!
Have to find another load for my deerhunting, i think i have to pop them with 120grs BT´s from my 6,5x47Lapua...

Regards
Tommy

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MrXtreme</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The problem is that i can´t use the bergers for hunting deersized game...

Regards Tommy </div></div>

Why not...they should work fine.

TC

Yep, it's where you hit them, not what you hit them with.

I agree. Bad idea. All moly, or no moly. Not both.

I'd rather deer hunt with the Bergers than the BTs myself.........