• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

MK 12 Picture & Discussion Thread

I didn't get to shoot a lot through it and I was behind the rifle but that is the loudest place and I had no ear pro on. my buddy was off to the right side and a little in front of the muzzle and said it was very quiet. He owns a Thunder Beast Dominus and knows what a quiet can is. He would have said it sucked, if it sucked. I am happy I went with the OCM5.

Reactions: Desert_Racer
I was able to meet my SOT and shoot my OCM5 a week ago. The dealer that I had my AEM5 on order through stated they just received the last batch of AEM5-30 cans and that the orders were from two years ago. I have no regrets canceling my AEM5 after 7 months.

find an OCM5 in stock and get the paperwork/efile started so you can receive it before you retire.

That’s the plan. Got on notifications for the two dealers in VA and will start looking out of state tomorrow.

Can anyone confirm the Apex parts I linked on the last page are correct for a clone? Anything I’m missing for an A1 stock build?

I'm running a Geissele Super Duty and don't get me wrong, it's a badass rifle, but I've always had a soft spot for the MK12 MOD 0 and MOD 1...guess it's time to trade the Geissele lol...you guys have some nice rifles! I shouldn't have clicked on this thread lol

Once you tote one for a bit you may want to have the Geissele around too. I love the damn thing but it’s 11# dry without the can. Add the can and ammo and it’s getting up there with a 28” barreled bolt action. Mod1 may be a touch lighter?

The weight is worth it lol...but I hear where you're coming from...

I’ve had mine for probably five or six years. Always said it would be the one gun I leave the house with. Still may be but I build a URG-I ~ish to do “adventure matches”. I cut almost 6# of weight going to the 14.5”.

I don’t shoot it anymore without the AEM5, but even w/o it I would have to practice a lot to move through a house with it at any kind of speed, and I’m slow with an SBR so….

All that said, I will never be without a Mk12. They may have to bury me with it.

Yeah, a buddy has a OD green LMT in 12.5”, I shot it yesterday with both a 2 chamber Surefire brake and his 7.62 RC2 mini and it’s a bad motherfucker. He has Sand colored furniture. So nice he’s probably never scratch it 😏

10CCEDF2-FEF6-44E8-8F18-A22E7C901096.jpeg
I went and caught the Mod H bug. Not perfect, but it’s a start.

5ECE9513-7C0A-4C35-92C4-158477AAE57D.jpeg
73F9F8BD-0197-4B40-B345-EF138C249CDA.jpeg
Then I thought, fuck it, I’ll do a Mod 1, but since the correct KAC rail is hard to come by, I had to take my own artistic liberties. Don’t hate the player, hate the game.

Last edited:
Oh, and a total shot in the dark....but does anybody have an AEM-5 in stock? Looked high and low and all the normal online places are OOS as I expected.

I'd even get silly and buy one second hand from someone getting out of the game.
I out a "wanted" post in the PX. That's how ai got my AEM5

Here is what I thought would be the finished product, nope can't leave it alone.
Didn't care for he Warne mount so stole a set of NF rings off another ARMS 22 are unobtainable it seems
UjLELBzm.jpg

gpnqBXem.jpg
This doesn't work.
ifKUEtMm.jpg
Looks OK
BlvljTxm.jpg
Looks OK
ghSIh8pm.jpg
Looks similar to MOD 1 up on Clone Rifles
UgMVJ1ym.jpg
Looks OK
And that is it except for the bipod and AEM 5 which I have just not mounted. And a correct trigger guard I received from BRN
Range test today, not sure how the front ring on he hand guard is going to work even though it is a KAC and mounted correctly

Reactions: MARLINLEVER
Here is what I thought would be the finished product, nope can't leave it alone.
Didn't care for he Warne mount so stole a set of NF rings off another ARMS 22 are unobtainable it seems
UjLELBzm.jpg

gpnqBXem.jpg
This doesn't work.
ifKUEtMm.jpg
Looks OK
BlvljTxm.jpg
Looks OK
ghSIh8pm.jpg
UgMVJ1ym.jpg
Looks OK
And that is it except for the bipod and AEM 5 which I have just not mounted. And a correct trigger guard I received from BRN
Range test today, not sure how the front ring on he hand guard is going to work even though it is a KAC and mounted correctly
I saw a ClassicFirearms video with Clint, where he stated he tried the one ring on the hand guard and didn’t “see” any accuracy degradation. But I have to wonder, if the rifle gets beat around a bit, if you’d notice a shift. You got to figure, it doesn’t take much movement to be a tenth Mil off, here and there. Be worth an experiment at least. I hope it works out for you.

UjLELBzm.jpg

gpnqBXem.jpg
This doesn't work.
ifKUEtMm.jpg
Looks OK
BlvljTxm.jpg
Looks OK
ghSIh8pm.jpg
UgMVJ1ym.jpg
Looks OK

@greg1147

The medium height ARMS 22s are in stock here: https://www.mountsplus.com/arms-22-scope-rings.html

They have the lever stops, but there's a guy on ARF in the Mk 12 thread you can mail them to and have the stops milled off.

Reactions: greg1147
@greg1147

The medium height ARMS 22s are in stock here: https://www.mountsplus.com/arms-22-scope-rings.html

They have the lever stops, but there's a guy on ARF in the Mk 12 thread you can mail them to and have the stops milled off.
I need to check the height on the mediums not sure if the objective will contact he rail. One reason I keep an eye open for a 24mm NF
Thanks for the info on the ARMS 22 and ARF. Going to check the clearance right now

I need to check the height on the mediums not sure if the objective will contact he rail. One reason I keep an eye open for a 24mm NF
Thanks for the info on the ARMS 22 and ARF. Going to check the clearance right now
The medium rings were Intended for use with the mod 0 setup which had the swan riser. With your setup, it’s going to be really low. Even if your scope fit, it might be uncomfortable with that heigh to get behind.

Mounts Plus sucks dick. They claim they have stuff in stock, then send you an email after they have your money, telling you it’s backordered.

Checked the clearance, not going to make it. There is guy on ARF that has a set of high but he wants $200. and I know that's not going to
happen. I'll stick with the NF. he optic isn't exactly clone correct and a couple of minor items. But on the other hand its a shooter.

Don't buy from mountsplus. 100% they are not in stock the site is wrong. Plus it's a Mod 1, he would needs highs, not mediums.
Saw his post at work where the pics won't load, so wasn't sure which Mod rifle he has.

As far as Mounts Plus, some in the ARF thread have said they're better at keeping active stock levels nowadays. I don't have experience with them, but I have a TRR in backorder status with them right now for a late Mod 0 based on others stating they do get low production numbers products in, just have to get in the backorder line or stumble into them someplace else.

They did the “in stock” thing with me a few months back. A week later, they emailed they were OOS.

I just spoke with them and the backorder is from 6/2021 with 27 on the waiting list. So either ARMS is in some sort of production issue or the demand is so high they can't keep up. Sign of the times.

I just spoke with them and the backorder is from 6/2021 with 27 on the waiting list. So either ARMS is in some sort of production issue or the demand is so high they can't keep up. Sign of the times.

That sucks.

I got a set of medium 22s from US Tactical Supply along with the TRC back on 23 Feb, but looks like they're OOS as well.

Good luck in your hunt. Might post up a few WTB ads here and on ARF. So many guys end up with bits and pieces just collecting dust and one might feel like letting something go. Ya never know...

AEB465C5-0E4A-4D24-97AE-13CA76CEF8D7.jpeg
On another note, and since I’d like to SEE more of your guys’ rifles. Here’s another “not quite a Mk12” rifle I slapped together.

I call it my Mk12… does that count? Nothing in this rifle is “clone correct” besides the 18” barrel length.
73F73495-56E1-494E-952C-F7C846EE98D1.jpeg

Damn, I just sold a set of highs the other day. Was going to put up my mediums for sale too soon. Just need to get my other set of rings in first.

036281F9-A33E-4C1D-997F-17329033A3FA.jpeg
55E5F71D-AFA0-400C-AFF4-FB0B2C8CE33B.jpeg
377BEEA6-0CC9-4ED7-811C-FE02089CDED6.jpeg
And now, the “What if” NSW Recce Rifle, with a PRI Gen III Rifle length HG and tucked suppressor, instead of the KAC with a flush mount suppressor. These mock ups are without a barrel and my Ultra 9 inserted 1 to 2 inches into the hand guard. I have an OCM5 e-filed. I’ll have D. Wilson Manufacturing install a shouldered gas block and cut the barrel to the proper length and pin/weld an Ops Inc style brake.

Reactions: greg1147
View attachment 7825889View attachment 7825890View attachment 7825891And now, the “What if” NSW Recce Rifle, with a PRI Gen III Rifle length HG and tucked suppressor, instead of the KAC with a flush mount suppressor. These mock ups are without a barrel and my Ultra 9 inserted 1 to 2 inches into the hand guard. I have an OCM5 e-filed. I’ll have D. Wilson Manufacturing install a shouldered gas block and cut the barrel to the proper length and pin/weld an Ops Inc style brake.
Damn now the "What if" thing nice work. Barrel length? D. Wilson is now my go shop for any machining. Did you do the paint on the hand guard?

Last edited:
Damn now the "What if" thing nice work. Barrel length? D. Wilson is now my go shop for any machining. Did you do the paint on the hand guard?
Thanks! The barrel on the KAC railed NSW Recce is 15.1” I believe. This has no barrel yet. I’m not sure what length barrel the shouldered gas block will require, but hopefully a pin & weld brake will give me the length with a mid length system (I haven’t done the math yet). If not, I guess I’ll go rifle length and play with the gas port size as needed, being suppressed will help.

p.s. That is just a sweet ass carbon fiber pattern from the factory.

The one I built with the KAC hand guard is 15.1 which works with the AEM 5.
What gas length?
What is the length of the hand guard from the front of the upper receiver rail?
What barrel did you start out with?

I'm on the email notification with dsg arms for a fde upper one. Going to mate with a OD green lower with an A1 stock

Other than the abomination of the muzzle brake and the barrel length that is essentially what my Mod H is gonna be like.

That looks like the AEM5 brake? Am I seeing it wrong? If you want something else you’re options are pretty limited unless you’re the lucky SOB that snatched up those two birdcage units that came up for sale here last week. I would have loved to have those.

What gas length?
What is the length of the hand guard from the front of the upper receiver rail?
What barrel did you start out with?
A couple of pics, FN barrel 1/8 cut to 15.1 from mid length gas, the piece right now is the optic. Primary Arms Platinum 1-8 FFP runs great
and will probably keep using but would be much better with a NF 2.5-10x24
gdze6AWm.jpg
eT8KqBcm.jpg

1sZcOEcm.jpg

• Love
That looks like the AEM5 brake? Am I seeing it wrong? If you want something else you’re options are pretty limited unless you’re the lucky SOB that snatched up those two birdcage units that came up for sale here last week. I would have loved to have those.
Look more closely that's a keymo brake. I picked up an AEM5 and last may bought a Mod H upper directly from PRI. Just gotta build the lower and pick up a 4-16 atacr with the Mil-XT. Less Leupold releases the PR2 in the 3.6-18.

Reactions: FatBoy

Other than the abomination of the muzzle brake and the barrel length that is essentially what my Mod H is gonna be like.

I just love how the suppressor-less and modern optic equipped rifle absolutely smokes the clone correct one..

Reactions: Huskydriver
I just love how the suppressor-less and modern optic equipped rifle absolutely smokes the clone correct one..
Yeah the system really shines with a modern optic with a tree reticle. I don't like suppressor-less that's pointless for me, part of the appeal of the MK12 is the can IMHO. Though the keymo doesn't make sense to me. They might as well sell the collar it's not being used. Though I'm not a fan of deadair or keymo. Keymo mainly because it's weighty and overly priced. Makes me wonder if the military ever thought about updating them with just a new optic.

The real question is do you like how the old gal smoked what's his name's race gun?

The real question is do you like how the old gal smoked what's his name's race gun?
Had to re watch it. Reminded me of why I enjoy the 9HR videos but don't take them seriously. The MK12 had 6-12mph winds going a constant direction. The LSA had 12-19mph winds that changed directions. As someone who regularly shoots 223 in both of those conditions I can tell you that's a world of difference in difficulty and enough that you can't reasonably make a fair comparison.
While I don't have a MK12 clone I do have a functionally equivalent rifle to both it and the LSA, and I would agree that the extra weight is definitely an advantage for the MK12. It's just a better platform for this exact test.
The same frustration carries over to the old guns. I've got a Finnish M39, Swedish Mauser and K31 and have shot them all at range and I can tell you that the sights, trigger, accuracy and surplus ammo of the K31 blows the other two out of the water. They made a big deal of the Mausers dominance but look at the conditions. <12mph for two of the guns. +23mph for the K31. So like I said, fun videos, but fairly useless for real comparisons.

Had to re watch it. Reminded me of why I enjoy the 9HR videos but don't take them seriously. The MK12 had 6-12mph winds going a constant direction. The LSA had 12-19mph winds that changed directions. As someone who regularly shoots 223 in both of those conditions I can tell you that's a world of difference in difficulty and enough that you can't reasonably make a fair comparison.
While I don't have a MK12 clone I do have a functionally equivalent rifle to both it and the LSA, and I would agree that the extra weight is definitely an advantage for the MK12. It's just a better platform for this exact test.
The same frustration carries over to the old guns. I've got a Finnish M39, Swedish Mauser and K31 and have shot them all at range and I can tell you that the sights, trigger, accuracy and surplus ammo of the K31 blows the other two out of the water. They made a big deal of the Mausers dominance but look at the conditions. <12mph for two of the guns. +23mph for the K31. So like I said, fun videos, but fairly useless for real comparisons.
Oh i agree its not some standard of measurement of the platform. Let him run some stages carrying the mk12 up close and the results dramatically differ or put the atacr on the race gun with a bipod and similar conditions they’re likely to be pretty equal. I just love the mk12. Or rather a quality SPR but part of the appeal of the mk12 is the look and the can for me. AEM5 just looks great and is stupid quiet.

I just love the mk12. Or rather a quality SPR but part of the appeal of the mk12 is the look and the can for me.
It's funny. I have no interest in cloning and no attachment to the MK12. And on the outside I laugh at people that spend small fortunes to replicate a gun with some dated features. And then I watch a video like that or pop into this thread and I secretly want to spend money to turn my SPR into a MK12 even with probably a net zero performance gain.

It's funny. I have no interest in cloning and no attachment to the MK12. And on the outside I laugh at people that spend small fortunes to replicate a gun with some dated features. And then I watch a video like that or pop into this thread and I secretly want to spend money to turn my SPR into a MK12 even with probably a net zero performance gain.
Such is the affect of nostalgia friend. But it really is a sharp looking firearm. I spent 1900 on a surefire 762SS for my XM3 build. Sold two ARs to get it lol. Just one of those things. I’ll likely spend stupid money on a m110 eventually and a mk13 Mod 5 build eventually.

Reactions: TonyTheTiger

That was my issue...had a full pri mod 0 build and it shot okay but was heavy AF. Then built this for 3 lbs less with the sb and absolutely hammers. Those compass lake chambered kreigers and Bartleins I tell ya.....

20211222_135959.jpg

I get it tho.... The mk12 just looks great and is an icon