• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

MK 12 Picture & Discussion Thread

I like the Mk12 theory or idea. A medium weight rifle capable of quick shots up close while fulfilling light precision rifle duties at distance.

Won’t ever close one, but my “Mk12“ sure does fulfill the idea well for me.

I mean you could technically go a little outside the spec sheet and just use lighter contour and solve most of the weight issue while still looking 100% the part. I’ve thought about it ha. Haven’t scoped my mod H yet but it’s lighter than i remember my mod 1 being.

I mean you could technically go a little outside the spec sheet and just use lighter contour and solve most of the weight issue while still looking 100% the part. I’ve thought about it ha. Haven’t scoped my mod H yet but it’s lighter than i remember my mod 1 being.

That handguard is so heavy

That handguard is so heavy

Maybe, but I can shoot it for 30 minute at a pretty good clip and the handguard is cool as a cucumber. Try that shit with mk16 rail or a URX3.1. (I own a couple of both) Not going to happen without a glove.

Will is in point with the profile. You could flute or just reprofile maybe 2/3” behind the gas block to the end of the chamber portion and you could easily drop 1#, maybe a few ounces more and it would 100% look the part. Done properly this probably would not hurt performance but the flip up front sight/brake are fairly heavy and obviously the can is likely to shift zero more than a standard SPR profile.

The weight helps its shootability but I fully understand the weight penalty. I had intended on using a mk12 mod0 for a 10k run and gun and after a few weeks of training I built a URG-I upper 😏

The Knights Mlok handguard and a pencil profile barrel are a great lightweight combo. 3/4 MOA with almost any off the shelf ammo through a Shilen Stainless Match barrel is great.

7FCE9FB0-5810-400D-8E60-47F378C06315.jpeg
My first rattle can job. I only had time to do one side today. Tape is still on lol.

After about 5 years with the mk12 mod0 I have moved the Stag lower off and a Brownells NODAK M16A1 on. Geissele SSA-E and Geissele lower parts kit. Get to “re-learn” it now. Probably should have a barrel on the way soon. At about 3000 rounds on , 99% suppressed.

Attachments

• CB764876-A290-4634-A1CD-62003F340CB5.jpeg
    CB764876-A290-4634-A1CD-62003F340CB5.jpeg
    548 KB · Views: 111
Reactions: MARLINLEVER
After about 5 years with the mk12 mod0 I have moved the Stag lower off and a Brownells NODAK M16A1 on. Geissele SSA-E and Geissele lower parts kit. Get to “re-learn” it now. Probably should have a barrel on the way soon. At about 3000 rounds on , 99% suppressed.

How do those BRN16A1 lowers compare to a real deal M16A1? I have my Mk12 MOD 0 sitting on a PSA stealth lower at the moment as it was cheap and had the bare minimum engraving, but I know it has to be different from the original lowers in a bunch of different ways.

Are these a new run of the NODAK receivers everyone raved about in the past?

BRN16A1

How do those BRN16A1 lowers compare to a real deal M16A1? I have my Mk12 MOD 0 sitting on a PSA stealth lower at the moment as it was cheap and had the bare minimum engraving, but I know it has to be different from the original lowers in a bunch of different ways.

Are these a new run of the NODAK receivers everyone raved about in the past?

BRN16A1

I can’t say. The last time I fired an M16A1 was ‘91 during ARM ranges. I’ll say this, it’s a very well machined, beautifully coated receiver. Not sure if it’s newly manufactured but Brownells lists it as a NODAK Spud and NODAK is now H&R and cancelled all their ordered so…. No idea. I feel like I should buy another before PSAs parent company fucks things up. (Hopefully they let these guys do what they do and don’t “Leupold” them. )

Primer for this was I have a URG-I~ish upper that was sharing my mk12 lower and needed a lower. When I saw these were back in stock I thought WTH, why not. It went together super easy and allowed me to move the Stag lower to a 14.5. I have another 14.5 being built now and a 10.5” barrel collecting dust so I need two more lowers. I will probably just pick up a couple Andersons or maybe splurge and get a BCM etc.

I’d certainly buy another if I need one, but honestly any issue M4 lower is correct if you’re building a mod0 and give a shit about the lower. To me, milspec receivers are milspec receivers. From 3’ away they all look the same.

Last edited:
Reactions: Muzzleflash
I can’t say. The last time I fired an M16A1 was ‘91 during ARM ranges. I’ll say this, it’s a very well machined, beautifully coated receiver. Not sure if it’s newly manufactured but Brownells lists it as a NODAK Spud and NODAK is now H&R and cancelled all their ordered so…. No idea. I feel like I should buy another before PSAs parent company fucks things up. (Hopefully they let these guys do what they do and don’t “Leupold” them. )

Primer for this was I have a URG-I~ish upper that was sharing my mk12 lower and needed a lower. When I saw these were back in stock I thought WTH, why not. It went together super easy and allowed me to move the Stag lower to a 14.5. I have another 14.5 being built now and a 10.5” barrel collecting dust so I need two more lowers. I will probably just pick up a couple Andersons or maybe splurge and get a BCM etc.

I’d certainly buy another if I need one, but honestly any issue M4 lower is correct if you’re building a mod0 and give a shit about the lower. To me, milspec receivers are milspec receivers. From 3’ away they all look the same.

Yeah, I fell ya on the idea that pretty much any lower looks the part from a distance, and if I'm not going full on "80% engraved like a Hydramatic" the PSA stealth with minimum legal engraving will probably suffice.

By the time I got in it was the M16A2, so I don't even have foggy DoD Days of Yore to try and sift through for A1 comparison sake, haha.

This is where I "know" there are differences between A1 and A2 lowers...but I'm just not smart on what those are and if this lower has what it's supposed to to be as clone correct as possible.

Guess I'll see if any of the super smart cloners chime in and set us straight.

MK12 mod 1

Attachments

• 6E20574B-3CF0-4C60-85B7-A52DACFC5FF7.jpeg
    6E20574B-3CF0-4C60-85B7-A52DACFC5FF7.jpeg
    203.5 KB · Views: 146
Where the hell is everyone finding these KAC FF RAS rails? I haven’t been able to find one to save my life.

Where the hell is everyone finding these KAC FF RAS rails? I haven’t been able to find one to save my life.
Had my MK12 for 5ish years so I'm no help for ya unfortunately. Back then they come in waves. Sign up for email notifications on every website you can - not sure if Covid is affecting them more than before or not

I gave up on a KAC rail and just bought a whole rifle.
There are rails for sale on GB now and again.

I’ve bought from @81sfo before. Good guy with quality stuff. I should have bought that rifle but it would just sit next to all the other shit I don’t shoot. Glad it went to someone who’s going to use it.

Not trying to steal any thunder from ARFCOM, but I can't hardly stand to get on there anymore. Figured there may some interest in a MK12 picture and discussion thread on here. I'll start:

Lower: Nodak Spud M16A1 'black' lower, Geissele SSA-E trigger, Colt A-1 grip and stock (trapdoor), Fulton Armory A1 extension with buffer and spring, Colt no-tic safety selector, no name milspec LPK

Upper: Colt AF forged M4 feedramp upper, tear drop FA, PRI Gasbuster charging handle with .mil big latch. Colt BCG. A.R.M.S. #40 rear with bonus point wingless swan logo, A.R.M.S. #38 SPR-PEQ 2-3 rail, Douglas barrel 1:7 twist, PRI milled flat flip up gas block, Colt gas tube, A.R.M.S. #22 M rings, Leupold MK 4 2.5-8 M/RT with M2 dials. Actual old stock Ops brake and collar. Allen Engineering AEM5. KAC bipod adapter with Harris BRMS and pod loc. KAC sling mount with Uncle Mikes sling stud. Oh and a A.R.M.S. TRC ring cap and rail.

This is my best effort at a late gen Mod 0. Big upgrades would be a Colt M16A1 lower (my birthday is coming up if anyone is feeling generous) and the original OPS 12th can.
Happy upcoming birthday! Sorry, I don't have any extra $$$$

This came together way quicker than I expected. Had my mod 1 stolen about 5 years ago and no other AR I built filled the hole so here we are. Picked the scope setup off the hide here and pretty sure they are high rings, going to measure today but they seem taller than all the other mod 0 pics I see.

Going to feel her out for a bit with this woa barrel and once I get my Otter Creek suppressor I'll build a custom barrel out of a krieger or similar. My Douglass with mr2000 powder was no joke a consistent 1/2moa shooter, nothing else will be acceptable now.

20220325_193052.jpg

It’s still going at $1575 now. Literally quadruple the normal price.

I have a Wylie TX mk13 action with 20 rounds on it and I’ve been thinking the same thing, but a damn handguard. Fucking ridiculous.

Tan is a Bushy ERS 3.5-21 Tremor2, Badger 1.5 Unimount
Green is a Bushy HDMR 3.5-21 Tremor2, Badger 1.375 Unimount
Mod 1 is a Leupy Mk4 4,5-14 mil-dot, NF 1.5 rings
Mod H is an Arken 5-25, Arken 1.26 rings, but I have a Vortex Pst Gen 1 2.5-10 in ARMS high rings for it later.

I can’t justify spending the asking price for period correct glass. I have too many irons in the fire for that.

I can’t justify spending the asking price for period correct glass. I have too many irons in the fire for that.

I hear ya.

Finishing up a late Mod 0 build and it stung spending what I did for a MK 4 3.5-10x and ARMS rings I had to send out to get the lever stops milled off of.

Suboptimal glass and rings at above market value of modern/better offerings...what's not to like?!? :p

• Haha
MK12 Mod 0 grendel with a delta forearm. I just got the forearm, rail, and stock from PRI today and got it put together. I had the gen ii PRI handguard and rail, but wanted something that balances better on a gamechanger. Delta forearm holds balance on the shmedium perfectly. I'm going to see about putting a USO FDN 10x/FX10/17X or NF 4-16x42 on top with a red dot sight on the rings.

Further upgrades I'm planning: TT Trigger and safety levers, Craddock Bartlein barrel, and an OCM5. I wish Ron was still making stuff. He bored my brake to 6.5 and threaded it in 5/8 for me about 5 years ago. Said back then that he'd do the same for an AEM5, but I waited too long. Looks like he's out of the game. I'd love a steel AEM5 to make this sucker balance perfectly on a bag. Otter creek, hear my prayer - make me a steel suppressor in .30 pleeeeeeeeeeeeezzzzz

IMG_20220509_155110.jpg
IMG_20220509_155011.jpg
IMG_20220509_155025.jpg

MK12 Mod 0 grendel with a delta forearm. I just got the forearm, rail, and stock from PRI today and got it put together. I had the gen ii PRI handguard and rail, but wanted something that balances better on a gamechanger. Delta forearm holds balance on the shmedium perfectly. I'm going to see about putting a USO FDN 10x/FX10/17X or NF 4-16x42 on top with a red dot sight on the rings.

Further upgrades I'm planning: TT Trigger and safety levers, Craddock Bartlein barrel, and an OCM5. I wish Ron was still making stuff. He bored my brake to 6.5 and threaded it in 5/8 for me about 5 years ago. Said back then that he'd do the same for an AEM5, but I waited too long. Looks like he's out of the game. I'd love a steel AEM5 to make this sucker balance perfectly on a bag. Otter creek, hear my prayer - make me a steel suppressor in .30 pleeeeeeeeeeeeezzzzz

View attachment 7866531View attachment 7866532View attachment 7866533

That's gorgeous...

Reactions: rothgyr
I have a Delta rail on one rifle and it definitely balanced better.

As far as Ron retiring, I don’t know if that’s 100% true, although I had heard the same thing. So I ordered an OCM5. Later, I got in on a group buy through High Caliber Sales for an AEM5. (Hopefully it wasn’t bogus LOL)

Further upgrades I'm planning: TT Trigger and safety levers, Craddock Bartlein barrel, and an OCM5. I wish Ron was still making stuff. He bored my brake to 6.5 and threaded it in 5/8 for me about 5 years ago. Said back then that he'd do the same for an AEM5, but I waited too long. Looks like he's out of the game. I'd love a steel AEM5 to make this sucker balance perfectly on a bag. Otter creek, hear my prayer - make me a steel suppressor in .30 pleeeeeeeeeeeeezzzz

I have a Delta rail on one rifle and it definitely balanced better.

As far as Ron retiring, I don’t know if that’s 100% true, although I had heard the same thing. So I ordered an OCM5. Later, I got in on a group buy through High Caliber Sales for an AEM5. (Hopefully it wasn’t bogus LOL)
Talking to a local dealer for ae, he responded:

"I can ask Ron. When I spoke to him a few months back he wasn't taking new orders."

I'd rather do a steel aem5 anyways. I like a bit more forward balance on my rifles. I'll have to follow up with the dealer and see if he talked to Ron.

Or the "period correct" rails. I have a 3.5-10 m3 and a 3-9 m3 who knows what they are worth now with this clone craze going on.
post some pics and I can give you a pretty good idea.

I have bought, used, and sold a dozen or so different mk4 models over the last few years. Sold the last few I had a couple of months ago.
Couldnt justify sticking with them when I can get used x42 atacrs for only a few hundred $ more

Saw this thread hasnt see activity in awhile. Not sure if anyone still follows it, but I just finished my MK 12 build. Yes, I know.... no scope yet. Actually looking at non-clone correct recommendations as I won't find a Leupold Mk4 or NXS.

View attachment 8141136
Mk5 3.6-18...

Attachments

• PXL_20230508_151820172.jpg
    PXL_20230508_151820172.jpg
    577.5 KB · Views: 87
  • PXL_20230331_160024616.jpg
    PXL_20230331_160024616.jpg
    843.4 KB · Views: 86
Saw this thread hasnt see activity in awhile. Not sure if anyone still follows it, but I just finished my MK 12 build. Yes, I know.... no scope yet. Actually looking at non-clone correct recommendations as I won't find a Leupold Mk4 or NXS.

View attachment 8141136
Technically MK5s are in use so I’d just do that.
IMG_7037.jpeg

I actually didnt know that's what is in use now. But that solidifies my first choice as I already had it added to my Brownells cart

Last edited: