• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Mk12 Scope for Modern Times

Desert_Racer

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Dec 22, 2011
USA
I just bought a PRI Mk12 Mod 0, and it will need some glass. I'm not a huge clone whore, so I am not dead set on trying to hunt down the old Leupold, nor am I set on running a SFP 2.5-10 NF scope.

If you were going to put a more "modern" optic on a Mk12, what would it be?

I'm looking to spend between $1700 and $2200. I've been eyeballing the 2.5-20 NX8, based off of the size, weight, reticles and pricing. Another option on the table is a Razor HD Gen III 1-10 (different class of scope, but very good in my experience, and would fit the bill). An older Leupold Mk6, or a Mk 5 in the 3.6-18 variety would be acceptable too. I would like something that's relatively light, compact, reliable and FFP.

Reactions: longshot2000
Any of the ones you mentioned would fit the bill. I had a Mk6 3-18x44 on my mod 1 for a couple months but thought it was a little too heavy plus the sight picture got real dark beyond 10x. I think March makes a 10x LPVO.

I now run a NF 2.5-10x42 on mine and for me, it’s perfect. I keep it on 10x all the time and hold over using the Mil-R reticle. Shoot it out to 700m. A Trijicon RDS sits at 2oclock and is zeroed for 25m.

I considered the Razor 1-10, think that would be a good fit for it also. Overseas, you would occasionally see the NF 3.5-15x50 SFP and FFPs and one pic on the net even shows a mod1 with Leupold M2010 scope (6.6-20x50).

Any of the ones you mentioned would fit the bill. I had a Mk6 3-18x44 on my mod 1 for a couple months but thought it was a little too heavy plus the sight picture got real dark beyond 10x. I think March makes a 10x LPVO.

I now run a NF 2.5-10x42 on mine and for me, it’s perfect. I keep it on 10x all the time and hold over using the Mil-R reticle. Shoot it out to 700m. A Trijicon RDS sits at 2oclock and is zeroed for 25m.

I considered the Razor 1-10, think that would be a good fit for it also. Overseas, you would occasionally see the NF 3.5-15x50 SFP and FFPs and one pic on the net even shows a mod1 with Leupold M2010 scope (6.6-20x50).
I feel the NXS 2.5-10 would be the ideal scope, but I would prefer not to have a SFP scope on this rifle. It wouldn’t be the end of the world (dial or hold at 10x, like you mentioned).

Conversely, I think the Gen III razor would be excellent, and only give up low light performance to the 2.5-10.

For some reason, I thought NF released an F1 version of the 2.5-10 a couple years ago? I must have been smoking crack. I can’t find evidence of that ever existing.

Edit: the capped windage on the everything else, other than the 2.5-10, is a huge plus to me.

Last edited:
Reactions: rubiconscott
Nx-8 or mark 5.

I have 2 mark 6's and 2 mark 5's. The 5 has better clarity and can see into the shadows better. The 6's just always feel a little washed out.

For some reason, I thought NF released an F1 version of the 2.5-10 a couple years ago? I must have been smoking crack. I can’t find evidence of that ever existing.
Yea, i'd be all over it if so but as far as I know, it doesn't exist (or maybe it does as some mil-spec super-secret squirrel shit issued only to 'operators').

NF did release updated versions of their compact NSX scopes a few years ago, updated w/Mil-R, Digilllum, zero stops, etc - mine is one of those. basically everything but the FFP, lol.

Reactions: sinister
Yea, i'd be all over it if so but as far as I know, it doesn't exist (or maybe it does as some mil-spec super-secret squirrel shit issued only to 'operators').

NF did release updated versions of their compact NSX scopes a few years ago, updated w/Mil-R, Digilllum, zero stops, etc - mine is one of those. basically everything but the FFP, lol.
I guess some might say it would be a niche scope, but I think it would be a popular offering for a DMR/SPR. Nightforce, write this down!!

I have a 18” BCM RECCE rifle, which is similar to the MK12. I have a Nightforce 4-16x42 mounted on this rifle in a Badger Ordnance COMM Mount. So far, I am very happy with it.

Reactions: TacticalPlinker
520 ultra short all day everyday if you can swing it
5x bottom end on mk 12? Really? Just get a #masterace ZCO 420 if going that route.

I use 2.5-20nx8s on a couple mk12ish ar15s and 6.5 ar10

love them.

going to try a vortex 1-10 on a 15 cause I hear they work great with clip ons

I have a couple 2.5-10x42s on 15s also and they work well. Prefer the 2.5-20s though. The 2.5-10s work better at short quick ranges with the sfp reticle though the 2.5-20s aren’t hateful for the same

Trijicon Creedo 2-10. It is tailor made for this.

FFP
MIL
Tree reticle
Thanks for the recommendation. It’s features meet my requirements.

Trijicon’s scope lines are a bit confusing. The price is great on these, especially with a mil discount through Eurooptic. How does this scope track? Is the credo line in the same league of toughness as an ACOG?

I have been burned in the past by a “budget” scope in this class, enough to cost my teammate and I several positions at Team Safari some years back. This was a Viper PST Gen 1, 2.5-10. Good glass, reticle, and illumination for the price, and parallax adjustment, but the tracking was dogshit.

To that end, I am hesitant to buy what I would consider to be in the “budget” class. That was pretty much the last scope I ever bought in that price class.

Last edited:
I have a couple 2.5-10x42s on 15s also and they work well. Prefer the 2.5-20s though. The 2.5-10s work better at short quick ranges with the sfp reticle though the 2.5-20s aren’t hateful for the same
The reticle usability on the low end is a good point to bring up.

Do you have any complaints about the eyebox with the 2.5-20 NX8?

I just picked up a 4-32 NX8 for an LMT I’m waiting on, and it seems to be a pretty nice scope. It has me leaning towards picking up a 2.5-20.

I bought one but have not been able to try it out yet. I bought one specifically because I am pretty certain that they are built by the same people as the old Bushnell LRTSi scopes were. Great scopes.

5x bottom end on mk 12? Really? Just get a #masterace ZCO 420 if going that route.

I use 2.5-20nx8s on a couple mk12ish ar15s and 6.5 ar10

love them.

going to try a vortex 1-10 on a 15 cause I hear they work great with clip ons

I do it all the time...red dot for anything fast up close....too easy chief 🤣

I do it all the time...red dot for anything fast up close....too easy chief 🤣
Yea im never on less than 10x on the main scope, the RMR handles everything under 100m.

Was going to suggest the SB US 5-20 but one would have to fall off the truck to be in the OPs budget. The ATACR 4-16x42 (T3, H59 or Mil XT) is also solid option for the OP.

Reactions: deersniper
Bottom line is, the battle axe would not be pleased if I spent S&B money.
Unfortunately, it doesn’t make the cut for my requirements.

I’ve been eyeballing the 3-12 Meotac. Think it would fit the bill. Price is there but obviously less mag than other options but the mag range is right IMO. Larger mid power scopes look right on the Mod 0. I’ve ran the K318i and 4-16 Atacr on the 0 I used to have. Felt very right.

There's a LOT of 1-8x out there, if I wanted something "modern" I'd include those on the list.

But me personally, I'm still liking the "non-modern" SFP scopes for mk12s .... can do quick shots on low power, without having to add more parts/weight for offset RDS.

51561491479_904a9b59d0_k.jpg

51544381713_ae230e3ddf_k.jpg

51541336924_5a273161c3_k.jpg

51336241209_f0db6ef8c2_k.jpg

==
Personally, I don't need 1x on the bottom 2x or 2.5x is fine ... in the day, I have my 1x MK1EB and at night, the clipon FOV is limiting factor belong 2.5x-ish.
But if you want "modern" ... those 1-8x are probably aligned ! :)

Last edited:
@wigwamitus Awesome setup. Thanks for the inputs. But what we are all really wanting to know, is where did you get all that 8208XRB at??:unsure:

There's a LOT of 1-8x out there, if I wanted something "modern" I'd include those on the list.

But me personally, I'm still liking the "non-modern" SFP scopes for mk12s .... can do quick shots on low power, without having to add more parts/weight for offset RDS.

51561491479_904a9b59d0_k.jpg

51544381713_ae230e3ddf_k.jpg

51541336924_5a273161c3_k.jpg

51336241209_f0db6ef8c2_k.jpg

==
Personally, I don't need 1x on the bottom 2x or 2.5x is fine ... in the day, I have my 1x MK1EB and at night, the clipon FOV is limiting factor belong 2.5x-ish.
But if you want "modern" ... those 1-8x are probably aligned ! :)
My traps are hurting just thinking about humping those lol

Nice rigs! My offset RDS + mount adds 5.5 oz to my SPR. Based on your kit, I hardly think you'd notice that ;)

Ended up buying an NXS 2.5-10x42 and throwing it on my Mod H(ish) build. After fooling around with a few scopes in this Mag range, I think that SFP is better for this magnification range, in combination with 5.56. The reticle is still useable at low power, unlike a FFP variant, in my opinion.

Picked up an NXS 3.5-15x50 F1, with the H58 reticle in the PX a couple days ago. I plan on putting that on my Mod 0.

Attachments

• 903C846B-017A-4D72-9697-FCECD500F143.jpeg
    903C846B-017A-4D72-9697-FCECD500F143.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 1,264
I have a Razor 1-10 on my 18” DDM4 V7 Pro and I like it a lot. I made the “mistake” of getting a ZCO 4-20 for another rifle though and now it makes it hard to look through the Razor 1-10 right after using the ZCO. The Razor has good glass, but the ZCO is Alpha glass and has a 50mm objective, along with the big eyepiece that presents a huge sight picture. But obviously the Razor 1-10 is a far better close in scope with its 1X and nuclear bright dot, it’s lighter, a little shorter, etc. But putting an RMR on the ZCO 4-20 gives you fast close in shooting as well, with drastically better long range capabilities.

I have one of those I have not had on a rifle in a long time but I LOVE it.

Reactions: nn8734
The Razor 1-10 is an outstanding optic for its intended use: an LVPO.

One of the things that really makes me like the NXS for this rifle and it’s intended use is the parallax adjustment. It’s nice to be able to make the picture crisp at longer ranges…something the 1-10 does not have a provision for (but isn’t necessarily a need for an LVPO). The 1-10x is certainly usable and capable of filling the role though.

Reactions: CSTactical
Friend of mine runs his semi-clone mod 0 with a 1-10 Vortex and loves it. My honest opinion is that if quality 1-10s existed from vetted contractors when the original spec was written that's what this rifle probably would have been specified for from the beginning, but optics just weren't quite there yet (at least the kind that could survive military abuse)

Also the PRI Mod 0 is the upper that ruined all other ARs for me. I ended up building a different caliber in the end since after shooting said friend's mod 0... everything else felt like it was inaccurate garbage :ROFLMAO:

if you haven't already, get youself a case of IMI's 77gr Razor core, it's a straight clone of the black hills Mk262

I modernized my MK12 mod0 clone a few years ago with a URX4 and Bushnell LRHS 3-12. This past year I upgraded to. MK5 3.6-18 and really like it. The MK5 is shorter, has more magnification and is the about the same weight. Perfect SPR optic as far as I’m concerned.

NF ATACR 4-16 or S&B Ultra Short would also be awesome for sure!

I was debating between the Mk5 and the NXS. I went with the 2.5-10 NXS for multiple reasons.

1) better for use with clip on devices since it’s SFP reticle.
2) 5-6 oz lighter which breaks even with an RMR offset when compared to just the Mk5.
3) illuminated reticle without adding $500 to the cost of the scope (looking at you leupold)
4) more mount options 34mm vs 35mm
5) no image quality degradation with the NF which I wanted for low-light performance.

I thought about the LPVO route, but honestly having the ability to dial elevation was more important than 1x performance when I can just slap on a offset RDS.

Check out the Sig Tango4 3-12x42 with Mrad milling reticle the Leupold DeltaPoint Pro mount works well with it,
Thank me later.

I have a 18” BCM RECCE rifle, which is similar to the MK12. I have a Nightforce 4-16x42 mounted on this rifle in a Badger Ordnance COMM Mount. So far, I am very happy with it.
Is that the ATACR I have been chasing? Just need to find a previously owned one.

I was debating between the Mk5 and the NXS. I went with the 2.5-10 NXS for multiple reasons.

1) better for use with clip on devices since it’s SFP reticle.
2) 5-6 oz lighter which breaks even with an RMR offset when compared to just the Mk5.
3) illuminated reticle without adding $500 to the cost of the scope (looking at you leupold)
4) more mount options 34mm vs 35mm
5) no image quality degradation with the NF which I wanted for low-light performance.

I thought about the LPVO route, but honestly having the ability to dial elevation was more important than 1x performance when I can just slap on a offset RDS.
Vortex 1-10 is arguably better.

I run FFP exclusively with clip ons

I’ve been torn between the mk5 3.6-18 and atacr 4-16 for a while for my mod H. Keep going back to the atacr simply because of the Mil XT. If leupold would just put the PR2 in the 3.6-18 i think I’d probably go mark 5 to save on length and weight

Can run a non-illum Mk4 3.5-10x42. A lot easier to find and a lot easier on the wallet. Not a bad little optic and looks more suited for that Mod 0.