• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Moa AR blasting load with Hdy 75 BTHP?

newguy2k3v2

Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Sep 16, 2009
    Bellville, Tx
    I have several K Hdy 75gr bullets and a LMT 18" SS MRP. So far I've only tried LC cases and Tac with CCI #41 and SR primers between 23.7-24.5 grs with less than stellar results ~2moa. I've tried the Hornady factory 75bthp load also and had about the same thing. I picked up a box of their Superformance but haven't tried it yet.

I'm going to load up some with 8208XBR to try. Looking for other options for a temp stable, easy metering powder.

Re: Moa AR blasting load with Hdy 75 BTHP?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Newguy2k3</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have several K Hdy 75gr bullets and a LMT 18" SS MRP. So far I've only tried LC cases and Tac with CCI #41 and SR primers between 23.7-24.5 grs with less than stellar results ~2moa. I've tried the Hornady factory 75bthp load also and had about the same thing. I picked up a box of their Superformance but haven't tried it yet.

I'm going to load up some with 8208XBR to try. Looking for other options for a temp stable, easy metering powder. </div></div>

Has your rifle every shot better than ~2 MOA?

You might have to tinker a bit. I have a Bushy 20" gov. profile and I've shot the 75s, 69gr SMKs and various other bullets, loads, combos and I'm pretty sure it's never going to be a sub MOA gun as a rule.

Shit happens.

You just have to fiddle around a bit to 'know' for sure.

Chris

Even with me shooting it'll pull off 3/4moa or less with Black Hills or SSA 77SMK loads.

Looking at my notes I got up to 2745fps with 24.5 Tac and CCI SR and wasn't having pressure problems. I could try a little more but I'd like for it to be an easy to make, easy on brass load.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Newguy2k3</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Even with me shooting it'll pull off 3/4moa or less with Black Hills or SSA 77SMK loads.

Looking at my notes I got up to 2745fps with 24.5 Tac and CCI SR and wasn't having pressure problems. I could try a little more but I'd like for it to be an easy to make, easy on brass load. </div></div>

Maybe that tube just doesn't like the H-75gr BTHPs?

Try different loads, get some 77gr, either Noslers or SMKs, try some BR-2s (4s?) or FGM 205Ms and try different powders.

You won't burn out that tube experimenting, like I might do with my 7RM, or somebody with a 300WM.

Chris

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ChrisGarrett</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Newguy2k3</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Even with me shooting it'll pull off 3/4moa or less with Black Hills or SSA 77SMK loads.

Looking at my notes I got up to 2745fps with 24.5 Tac and CCI SR and wasn't having pressure problems. I could try a little more but I'd like for it to be an easy to make, easy on brass load. </div></div>

Maybe that tube just doesn't like the H-75gr BTHPs?

Try different loads, get some 77gr, either Noslers or SMKs, try some BR-2s (4s?) or FGM 205Ms and try different powders.

You won't burn out that tube experimenting, like I might do with my 7RM, or somebody with a 300WM.

Chris </div></div>

I've got some Nosler's loaded up with TAC to try out as well. I want to stay away from SMKs for the sole reason of cost. If I can't make this barrel shoot 75Hdys or Noslers then I think it might hit the road.

Try Varget. My load is 24 grains in BHA brass and 77SMK. I just got some Hornady 75's and I'm going to try them. I've heard that Hornady bullets are a little more picky for barrels.

That's the high end for that powder, right?? What are you getting for velocities?? I'm using 22.5 gr. of Varget with Nosler 77gr. Comp. bullets and am getting a little over 1 MOA and want to tighten it up some more. I'll have to load some up...Thanks..

i've got an 18" noveske stainless spr and it really likes 24.0 tac and hornady 75 bt. with rem 7 1/2 primer in like brand brass, loaded with redding bushing f/l dies. and i thought it was going to be everyday, all purpose load, but have played a bit with 8208 with both the hornady and sierra 77gr and have work to do yet, but indications of very consistent behavior at 23.3gr. sierra grouped 10 under .9, including two thrown shots. 75 hornadys almost as good, but again, more work to be done. chrono'd in low 26's, but range was crowded and unable to get as much data as i'd like to have. all said, promising results w/8208. doesn't measure as buttery smooth as tac, but 10 thrown charge variance is so slight, it seems inconsequential for all but max accuracy loads.

From a 20 inch Service rifle with Wylde chamber I get 2700 fps. Depending on weather I'll be trying the 75's next weekend. Sierra list's 23.9 as a max load, Hodgdon list 23.7. Both are listed as .223 loads.

24.5 grains gave me 2750 fps with the same group.

~24 grains varget 2.25COAL.

edit: you do check your loads for concentricity/seating die isn't making big marks on the bullets etc right? my old RCBS dies didn't like longer match bullets and would mark them up bad enough to give accuracy problems. As soon as I switched to a forster seating die the marks went away and measurements became more consistent.

My goto load, seems to work in everyone's service rifle is 24.8 of 2520 in any old LC case I find on the floor of the shop. 75 hornady BTHP, 77 Nos or 75 Amax all run fine with it. I run the wolf mag primers, just cuz I got a bunch.

AVG 2824 from my RRA I guess they call it DCM gun. Works fine out to the 600 line. ES of 18 and Sd 11.

With the price of Tac and 2520 staying the same to each other, I've stuck with 2520, just because it works for me, meters like water, and Phil Arrington swears by it. They shoot in hundred and ten degree weather up at Ben Avery all summer long.

Good enough for me, obviously your rifle may not like it, but all mine do.

sean

Another vote for 24.0gr Varget with the 75gr HPBT.

Got out today to shoot some 75 grain Hornady's with 22.8 grains of Varget that shot .5 MOA out of my RRA 20" 1:8 twist. I ran them across the chrono and they averaged 2577. I will get out later this week to shoot some with 24 grains of Varget since the wind picked up and I halted anymore shooting for the day. I was just going to keep 60 grain VMAX bullets as my go-to but after today that will be probably be changing...