• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

MOA comeback?

Screenshot_20240111-095624_Meme Generator.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: MarshallDodge
I’ve noticed quite few a secret-squirrel types at this covert range I belong to sporting an interesting new combined MOA/MIL reticle.

I took a look through a fella’s scope and when he wasn’t looking, I snapped a pic.

That way I didn’t have to sign an NDA.

His name was something like “Thewhoreta”. Maybe “Thee Whoreta”? Must be from Thailand.

1704996497929.png

This is the way.

• Haha
Reactions: lash
Nobody using an MOA scope in a PRS match would be at a disadvantage unless they were stone dumb. You're given the distances to targets, so you look up your elevation dope and either dial it or hold off. If someone were to tell you their wind call in mils, it takes a fraction of a second to make the conversion in your head.

I can only speculate that moa predominates in NRA shooting because fudd history. When I shot that in the early 2000s all the data books had target plots with an MOA grid over the target image and all the service rifle NM sights were in 1/4 moa clicks.
This. Fudds are dabbling in “long range precision” now. MOA is what they know. I just had a guy tell me he uses a distance to move on the target measurement to adjust his scope. They have $$$, but are terrified of anything new because it makes them feel dumb. The crew local to me is all giddy about shooting custom rifles on steel from the prone at 1000 6 times a year, but terrified of shooting a Rimfire match at 100.

• Haha
Reactions: lash and 308pirate
This. Fudds are dabbling in “long range precision” now. MOA is what they know. I just had a guy tell me he uses a distance to move on the target measurement to adjust his scope. They have $$$, but are terrified of anything new because it makes them feel dumb. The crew local to me is all giddy about shooting custom rifles on steel from the prone at 1000 6 times a year, but terrified of shooting a Rimfire match at 100.

I got my start with rifles shooting NRA service rifle. When it came time to switch to scoped/bipod rifles the switch to milrads was seamless. Because it's just angles measured in different units. And as long as all the shit for one rifle system all reads in the same units, it makes no difference. I can have one rifle with moa/moa/ffp scope and an moa dope card and onw with mil/mil/ffp scope and a milrad dope card and switch back and forth with no effort.

And while I'm not ready for social security, I'm not 40 either.

Reactions: Modoc
When I came to SH in 2011, the predominant scope of the badass's who could almost hit to 800 yards with their 308's was a Mark 4, complete with moa turrets, and mil dot reticle. Most mil scopes were European first focal and costly.
My scope ratio is 11/3 in favor of mils, and I am fine with either. I grew into LR shooting with moa, converting only to be compliant with friends. I do like less dialing, and the finer resolution of hashes mils has to offer.
But if the choice had stayed mil dot to duplex only, I'd be rocking moa, I can rattle off a correction relatively quickly knowing target size and distance.

The key element today when choosing a scope unit of adjustment is communication

Shooting F Class, use MOA

Shooting Steel Targets, MIL

If you go to a match and 99% of the shooters are talking Mils, MOA does you no favors, when you go to a paper match, like F Class those targets are calibrated in MOA, so it makes sense,

Benchrest might as well be units of Franks, doesn't matter, you can get scopes with just as fine adjustment in both

Fierce makes rifles for hunters and hunters overwhelmingly use MOA. I do think there's a slow enlightenment happening in at least the longer range hunting community involving a shift to MIL. My lighter weight hunting scope is MOA because my father uses MOA and we hunt together so I do it to speak the same language. However after my last coues deer hunt I'm making an attempt to change his language because holy shit MOA annoyed me more than it should have. Doing fractions in 0.25 increments blows.

Hunting is an area ripe for a modern takeover, it’s hard because hunters are creatures of habit, but modernizing hunting could be so big and easy, it’s just about finding the recipe to gain the right attention

I think Kevin B from Q is doing it, but few others

Hunting is an area ripe for a modern takeover, it’s hard because hunters are creatures of habit
Plus there's an absolute mountain of misinformation that confuses the <5% of hunters who even want to break from tradition. I only recently learned that higher height over bore doesn't exaggerate the error when your scope is canted. It's not that I was ardently saying it worked that way I just never bothered to look into it.

Fuck the metric system.
That could be funny if it was metric. 🙄.

A MIL is equal to 1/1000 distance to target.

Period there is no argument, the measurement doesn’t matter if it’s standard, metric, shoe size, your height, dick length or fucking light years away.

Show me a MOA shooter who can tell me how big a MOA is at 947 light years? Take your time and use google……

MIL shooters will do it in their heads before you get to hit the search button or beg Siri to find it.

A MIL at 947 light years away is equal to .947 of a light year, 1/10th click is .0947 of a light year adjustment.

Want to screw around and convert it to another unit of measure go ahead, but you’re literally doing all the work for nothing.

Base 10 numbers isn’t metric. Surveyor's survey in 1/10’s of a foot, does that make them metric? How about machinists breaking an inch into 1/1000’s?

Funny how a MIL is equal to 3.6” @ 3600”s, or 36” @ 36,000”s ……..must be a mistake right? 🧐

🫳
🎤

Reactions: Holliday
Haha! This is exactly right. A bunch of years ago, Before NRL22 and PRS22, I started running an occasional mixed range match with targets from 25-310 yards. Some guys that would come to our long range CF field matches were insistent that that was too far and unrealistic. They said maybe they’d come if I limited it to 100 yards, lol.

Oh and we shot using scopes measuring minute of beer yeast (MOBY).

I started out with precision rifle and LR shooting back in 2008 or so and at that time...MOA was all I really knew about. I mean...It was that or IPHY. I went with the NP1R and NP1RR because...NIGHTFORCE.
Then Bushnell released the XRS.

H59 and FFP.

I never considered another MOA or 2FP scope ever again. NEVER

Reactions: MarshallDodge
Oh and we shot using scopes measuring minute of beer yeast (MOBY).
MOBY is a hard one to use, so you must be the One True Expert. After a while the distances seem to get shorter, the targets get bigger, and the chix get hotter.

Chix is what its subtensions are denoted in, right?

• Haha
MOBY is a hard one to use, so you must be the One True Expert. After a while the distances seem to get shorter, the targets get bigger, and the chix get hotter.

Chix is what its subtensions are denoted in, right?
Nailed it!

Well, I’ve had a lot of practice so…🍻

• Haha
Reactions: carbonbased