• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Modified 8mm Mauser

fuzzyjoe

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 4, 2010
Georgia
www.navsoc.navy.mil
This is a 8 mm mauser with MOD 98 on the reciever and everything else is covered up, Im sure the stock isnt original and the barrel has had all iron sites removed but you cant tell where they were. The safety is a 2 position also it goes up about 1/4 of an inch for safety on and down for fire where my other mauser has 3 positions. On the back of the safety has Mark II on it...was wondering if anybody knows more about this rifle?
DSC00552-1.jpg
DSC00554.jpg

Re: Modified 8mm Mauser

Well you only put a sneak peek of pics, but bere is my best guess

Given the two holes in the receiver (for a redfield or lyman peep sight). This was a 98k sporterized back in the day. I am not familiar with the stock but many folks used Fajen stocks for their sporters.

The safety is a Dayton Traister mark II, designed for low profile scopes (because the stock Mauser safety would swing from one side to the other and hit the scope.

So Someone prob purchased a Mauser sporter from a gunshop or inherited it from a relative and tacti-cooled it.

If you like it as is then it should serve you ok. Personally, I would take it apart, clean all of the pain off it. Refinish the stock and top it off with a nice Weaver scope.

Either way the 8mm round makes for a nice deer getter.

Take the scope, rings and basis off. On the front receiver ring on the top might be more markings. If it is marked this will/could tell you when and who made it. Look for other proof marks on the barrel (if original) and on the bolt in various spots like on the top or bottom of the bolt handle etc...

Later, Frank
Bartlein Barrels

You might also want to take it out of it's stock. There are proofs and stamps under the wood-line and also on the stock itself that might tell you something...if it's original.

The one pic of the stock doesn't show the steel crosspiece used for the recoil lug. So, I'll just assume it's not original.

In general when it says Mod 98 on the side of the action it's a 30's-WWII built rifle in Germany for Germany. If it was a WWI rifle it would have Gew 98 (Gew short for Gewher {man}) Czecchlosvakian made rifles were usually marked with the model if "appropriated" by Germany in WWII. They were mostly VZ-24's and some VZ-23's.

As noted the safety is aftermarket, but I can't tell what company made it, only that if it's a two position instead of three, it's Buehler style that allows for the use of a scope with no other modification than to replace the safety lever. IMO, these are the least safe, safeties I've ever seen. Due to the ergonomics of handling rifles, these seem to forever be getting knocked off safe.

Anyhow, the 8mm Mauser is an outstanding round. Very comparable to the 30-06. For long range shooting the best rounds are the 196-200 gr. Nosler makes a great 200 gr. bullet in their custom Competition and their Accubond. The 8mm started with a heavy round nose, then in 1905 Germany went with the 150 gr. Spitzer and prior to WWII, they went with the 198 gr. spitzer. It's notable the 198 gr. bullet was meant to be optimal in the Machine gun and was engineered to remain stable out to 2500m. As originally built, the M/K98 rifles handle this round wonderfully.

If you love Mauser rifles like I do, a great book to pick up is <span style="text-decoration: underline">"Mauser: Military Rifles Of The World"</span> by Robert W.D. Ball