• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Modify AI Mags

Pusher591

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
  • Jun 18, 2009
    Gaston County
    Need to know if anyone knows a reputable person who can either reduce the thickness of the front plate in the AI mags or that will remove them permanently. Want to make sure its not a backdoor hack saw job, its needs to be clean and professional looking.

I really prefer just to modify and reduce the plate about .030

Only reason is AW mags just don't run well in my gun and the Accurate mags .308 mags without the plate are hard to come by. No Alpha mags either, they suck.

Let me know if you can't find anyone to drill out the spot welds and weld up the holes, I will take care of it for you.

Let me know if you can't find anyone to drill out the spot welds and weld up the holes, I will take care of it for you.

Thanks Bradu, you sound like you've done this before so I don't mind sending 2 mags to you. Just PM price and where to send them to.

How much do you gain without the plate? My 308 load seated just off the lands of my SPS will fit in an AI mag but is just long enough they wont feed.

How much do you gain without the plate? My 308 load seated just off the lands of my SPS will fit in an AI mag but is just long enough they wont feed.

I think you can load to 2.92 or longer but from what I understand, especially if running a comp gun its good to have at least .020 of clearance from the plate to reliably feed in rough conditions.

I run alpha type 2 mags in my aics chassis and it is the same principle. Keep in mind that if you remove the plate you will also need to mill the bottom side of the action to that length or a little more to allow reliable feeding. Otherwise the rounds will ride forward with recoil and the tip of the bullet will hang on the bottom of the action

--Daniel

I run alpha type 2 mags in my aics chassis and it is the same principle. Keep in mind that if you remove the plate you will also need to mill the bottom side of the action to that length or a little more to allow reliable feeding. Otherwise the rounds will ride forward with recoil and the tip of the bullet will hang on the bottom of the action

--Daniel

From my understanding I would only need to do this to my trued actions but my custom I'm good to go from the factory.

Might be. I have a surgeon 591. But it is at the smith so I can't compare or measure.

--Daniel

Need to know if anyone knows a reputable person who can either reduce the thickness of the front plate in the AI mags or that will remove them permanently. Want to make sure its not a backdoor hack saw job, its needs to be clean and professional looking.

I really prefer just to modify and reduce the plate about .030

Only reason is AW mags just don't run well in my gun and the Accurate mags .308 mags without the plate are hard to come by. No Alpha mags either, they suck.

Something I have done that works well is to get the Accurate Mag 300 WSM magazines and bend the feed lips with the tool from HS Precision (you can get it at Brownells, the tool comes with the specs). I have used these modified WSM mags in a few different rifles and never had an issue. I went this route because, like you, I'm not a fan of Alpha mags.