• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Monitor for video camera?????

jcfd2201

Playing with fire!
Minuteman
Mar 3, 2010
NE Arizona
I'm looking for a monitor to hook to my HD Video camera. I have been starting to film some predator hunts and would like to have a larger screen than the small LCD on the vidcam. I have been looking for something self contained that will simply plug into the vidcam. This would allow me to place the monitor in front of me out of the sun while having the camera off to the side.
Any suggestions are appreciated.

Re: Monitor for video camera?????

What output does your camera have? I assume composite even though it's hd. Try something like a Sony DVP-FX820. I have a small stand alone monitor I use for fiber inspection with a camera, I will see who makes it tomorrow.

Varizoom makes a kit that comes with a 7" monitor, sunshade, battery, etc. It uses standard composite input. I use one on a camera crane from time to time. It works well for framing a shot, but don't expect to get a critical focus with it. Its still standard def. Pretty good kit for the money.

Thanks for the info guys! The camera has the composite plugs so any of those look like they will work.

Check out hobbyking.com, or any hobby site - they have 3-7" DVR screens for recording video from r/c planes -

I'm actually going to use my laptop - got a USB connected adapter that takes composite video in....(Gearcam.com has the plugs).

Thanks Arctic! I looked at the others and they are more than I was wanting to spend. I actually thought about you after watching your RC plane videos. I figured you had to be using something to watch it on.

One cheap thing to consider...

My daughter had wrecked a 7" DVD player in the back of a car on a trip... I was going to get around to repair it (or try) but we ended up replacing it.

Last week, I was trying to aim a composite security camera - My pea brain finally put two and two toegther...

Most small portable DVD players have a composite input, battery, 12VDC adapter, all in one package, ready to go. If you have one around, it might be a good low-zero budget option.

SRS,
I actually found a portable TV with composite plugs and a built in rechargeable battery while searching today. The best part is the price at $60 I am going to try it.

Thanks for all of the input everyone.