• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Montana Rifle Co for a LR build?

kala_azar

Minuteman
Mar 8, 2012
Northern Virginia
I'm a big fan of M70 style CRF actions, and my Winchesters and SPRs have been serving me well.

Does anyone have experience with MRCs 1999 action? I know they are well regarded for hunting rifles and big bore guns, but I'm wondering if they would make a good base for a LR build, sort of in the GAP Extreme Hunter vein... I wonder how true they come from the factory?

Any input from prior users?

Yes they are GTG. I'm a machinist and used to be a smith. They are as true as anything else you'll find. Naysayers will say the design is not rigid enough for accuracy, but those naysayers are Internet commandos who havent built a rifle. They say the same about my 98 Mauser precision build and it shoots far better than I can.

BTW, a year or so ago, before freedom group bought them, they made some barrels on par with the best of the best.

I've got one in stainless steel, chambered in .300 WSM. It holds one moa accuracy at 300 yds. with my handloads. I talked with the rep from Montana Rifle company and can't say enough about how ggod a product they push out. They make their rifles like a custom but are efficient enough to keep prices reasonable. Pick your caliber, and it's almost like getting a custom rifle for 1/2 to 1/4 of the price.

Also, FWIW, I like the Win 70/Mauser actions better than a Rem 700. The first reason is the recoil lug is integral with the reciever and second, the bottom of the action is flat and therefore, I believe, seats better in the stock than the round actions of Savage and Remington. The extractor claw can be an advantage with hot loads, but is not necessary if your ammo is correctly made. The correctly made claw extractors also do not have to be loaded from a magazine. The claw will pop right over the rim of the case when single feeding. It does leave nicks in the cases, though.

I have built several rifles off the Montana 1999 action. All required some adjustments be made to make them work right. One a .473 bolt face short action in SS was a piece of crap. The threads were machined vertically out of alignment with the bolt race and the bolt timing was off so the cocking piece struck the tang. It required major work to get it right. I would have returned it to Montana Rifle Company if not in a time crunch to get it done for the customer. The rifles I have completed on this action functioned well and held sub .5 moa. All were barreled with premium barrels and McMillian stocks.
Nat Lambeth

Thanks for the comments, I might have to try them out with a stainless action sometime if I can get the scratch together to start another build!