• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Monthly Sporting Rifle match RATON NM

Re: Monthly Sporting Rifle match RATON NM

there is suppose to be good weather for the weekend , high 60's and sunny , come out and give it a try you can shoot paper at 100 yards any time !

There are many - in fact a majority of - Colorado SH members who have never tried this match. This is hike-n-shoot field-style long-range shooting, one of very few matches of its kind in the country.

I might have coaxed another shooter to make the trip down with me....not sure. You know how it is.....everyone gung-ho until it's time to wake up.

See youz on Sunday morn. I'm bringing sunscreen this time.

Well another Sporting match is in the bag. Here are a few highlights:

- 17 shooters showed up from 3 different states with some coming from Wyoming

- Mr. C Ward put on a clinic shooting his 260AI Surgeon and in the process set I believe a new course record of 54/60. Last month's 56 did not shoot 2 of the stages due to high water, so I think C Ward has the full course record now. Way 2 go C!

- Mike K put on a gas gun clinic firing a 51 with an AR-10 in 308 to secure second place

- Zak was so giddy about his personal best he could not wait to strip down and show off his matching pink swim trunks and shoes (no sports bra though)

- I proved the 6mm can hang with the best of the 6.5s and carded a 50, tying for 3rd, but the other shooter did not stick around for a shoot-off. One stage of cranial-rectal insertion blew my chances at the overall, but the rifle and chambering can get the job done.

- We had several first time shooters in the mid-30s, including JohnAE308 who didn't get to town until 1:30AM due to other commitments. He very easily coulda bagged it - thanks for making the effort John!

Overall scores are up this year due to the amount of snow over the winter that knocked down a lot of the tall grass. The entire course can be shot from the prone position now. That and a crop of good shooters switched from the 308 to the 260. Without a doubt the 260 shoots inside the 308 in the wind and has less recoil leading to less vertical shot dispersion.

Next match is May 6, so come on down and join us!

Which one were you today Mr. B? Blue truck or the beefy dude chattin' with Zak right before you left? I was "tan man" (not my skin).

If your near the whittington center, take advantage of this match, Zak, Allen and the colorado multi gun crew put on a great match, i wish i were closer to do the monthly events. I promise though I'll make it to one of them.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: NineHotel</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Which one were you today Mr. B? Blue truck or the beefy dude chattin' with Zak right before you left? I was "tan man" (not my skin). </div></div>

Black shirt, jeans, tan hat and probally the only dude there not driving a truck/suv....I was talking to Chuck and Zak before I rolled out, but only my mom calls me beefy
smile.gif

Were you shooting an AI? Only saw your squad for a sec

I had a blast. Thanks Mike, Zak, and crew for running a fun and challenging match. Thanks also to 9H for the extra help. He and Tim were very gracious squad mates as I struggled to get the correct dope for the rifle.

Mr B, Our squad had my AI AE308, 9H's Remmy 700 in an AICS chassis, and Tim's .308 Savage Police Tactical.

next match is the 13th of May not the 6th , Wittington had something conflicting with the normal 1st sun date

we had a record turn out of 17 shooters this time from as far as Montana , come out and give it a try I know there are more than 3 shooters from Co. on here you have posted pictures of nice toys come put them to use

Mr. B, yea I was there right before you rolled out, wonder who the F you were - shoulda asked it if was you. Glad you are making it down to the match. We try not to keep the thing a secret, but based on the quality of the match and the attendance you'd think otherwise.

Excellent news on the 13th Chuck - might be able to make that one.

The match is this weekend , this will be the last one till July as there are schedule conflicts with the June date so it was cancelled.
Come give it a try , might like it and it is definitely more fun than shooting paper at 100 yds

When I get back from TX, I might want to try the next one in July, hopefully it won't conflict with my schedule cause I really want to run one of these.

That a long drive, looks like the kinda match I would really enjoy. Not much into the firing line at the range type
wink.gif

Looking to share a ride down and back Sunday AM. Can meet at I-25 if coming down from Denver area. Please post here or PM me if interested. Thanks.

Well Mr. C Ward set a new course record of 56 Sunday. Way to go Chuck!! Conditions were not a gimme either - wind got to be tricky at times (good thing I got the bad wind periods while he got the consistent stuff ;)), one shot could not be taken prone, and yet another you had to wait for the wind to blow hard and expose the target due to overgrowth of the tree! He also rang the newly-added 875 yard target.

Zak turned in yet another consistent score; I sucked ass thanks to a lack of sleep and focus. Hitting only one out of 12 targets on two stages midway through kinda sealed my fate for the day.

Y'all gotta make the trip for this one sometime. The course of fire has plenty of capacity for additional shooters.

Actually, I think Chuck tied the record previously set by Mike K., but an outstanding job just the same. However, when you consider that we keep stretching the targets out further every chance we get, a tie just might be a win.

Mike K's previous 56 was shot on just part of the course due to the creek being too high with two stations unreachable necessitating two other stages be shot twice. Chuck's 56 was shot on the full course AND the added 875 yard target. Call it what you like.

This month's match is this weekend on the 8th come out and give it a try it's way more fun than trying to make tiny holes at a hundred yards

The gate will be open at 3pm tomorrow for sight in come out and give it a try check Zak's link for a map

Had an unexpected new guy show up Sunday morning to shoot with us , David Tubb , a nice guy and was happy answering questions by some of the star struck guy's that shoot the match regularly.
See what you guy's miss when you don't come out and play .

No he shot a 54 the record of 56 that I share with Mike K still stands

Shot with him Fri and Sat at Buffalo Creek. He won the 2 day agg and in the process shot a 796 Friday under good conditions. Shot with him a few weeks earlier in Raton at the regional. He shot a 794 or 795 I think. Definitely back as far as shooting goes, but a controversy is brewing over medical waivers and starting the rapids in position versus from standing to sitting and standing to prone.

Another interesting note from the weekend. 22 year old Rose Walton shot a 199-14X at 600 Saturday besting all shooters including G.David who was on a different relay. The WY state champ was on her relay shooting a McMillan rifle in 6XC. He managed a 199-12x. Rose was shooting an AR15 Service Rifle. Had her 9 been another X she would have tied the national Service Rifle record.

The next match is this weekend , as you see from last month you can never tell who will show up . Come out and give it a try you can soot paper off the bench any old day . There are only two matches left this year , this weekend and the 9th of sept then they shut us down for the year because off the hunters .

Come out and shoot , We will be there at 1 tomarrow afternoon for set up and sight in starts at 3 going til 5.
See the link in Zak's post for the details

The Sept. 9 date will be the last match for the year as the Whittington Center shuts us down for hunting season.The next chance to come and shoot here won't be untill Jan. of next year , weather permiting. Come give it a shot you might like it.

Match is this weekend , last one this year , come out and shoot

We can only hope since the last 2 month's I looked like that Del Taco your so fond of.

Also he looked like a cute little mud puppy in the shallows of Whittington Lake-SOMEONE, please bring him some golf cleats, logger boots,walk bridge, wheel barow, car, truck, climbing gear and any other inpliment that would help this man cross a stream that is TWO inches deep.

Shoot em up boys-J

Cool , the bigger the turnout the more places get paid on the cash payback and it is nice having new shooters show up , drag Tate with you he's said he was coming since the team match last year

For the last match of the year we had a record turn out of 20 shooters with about half being first timers. Finally got Lowlight to come out and play and he tied the record for a first time shooter with a 54 / 60 , Tied with David Tubb , and this put him 2nd overall , Mike K had an outstanding day and set a new course record of 58 / 60 . The schedule for next year should be up on the http://demigod.org/srm website in late Oct. - early Nov. so come out and shoot with us next year Way more fun than paper on a square range .

I had a fun time, this was a very good match.

I'd almost like to see it expanded on, because it's a challenging course of fire, with some practical applications. One shot hit or miss is as tough as it gets.

Congratulations to Mike, I thought I had good day going, Mike had a great day.
smile.gif

Cheers,

Glad you could finally make it out , if the scores stay where there at we're going to have to make it harder , especially with Your 7mm laser gun