• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Monthly Sporting Rifle match RATON NM

Re: Monthly Sporting Rifle match RATON NM

Well this was my first time to the Sporting Rifle Match and as I said on Sunday, "It's better than drugs, just more expensive!"

I'd like to just give a couple quick thanks to a couple people.

First off, thanks to Mike Kolar and Zak Smith for continuing to put on this amazing event. How lucky are we to have such an amazing resource as Whittington and such a great couple guys as Mike and Zak to put on such a great event every month (give or take)?

A special thanks to Zak for being so willing to answer my numerous emails getting ready for this match (and letting me know about the match initially). I've been putting my rifle together for about nine months and it was great to get to use it in a match like this. Yes I know the match was packed, but this is the kind of shooting that everyone should be able to experience. Zak has also been super helpful in terms of external ballistics and in helping to build my knowledge base in terms of the use of ballistics calculators. Plus he makes a great bunch of density altitude-based cards which were right on this weekend (even when I wasn't).

Second, thanks to everyone in squad 4 for making my, my father's, and my nephew's day such an enjoyable and memorable one. What a great group to get to experience this fantastic sport with for the first time. Every single person was so nice and so much fun to shoot with. Thanks to everyone for helping my nephew Alec out. At eleven years old I don't think I ever had such an amazing time as he did this weekend. A special thanks to Tom P. for all his help and wit. Granted I'm sure I would have shot much better if he hadn't been ribbing me every time I hit the line, but then again, maybe I wouldn't.
grin.gif
Really just a great bunch of people to spend a loooooong day shooting with.

Third, thanks to everyone who showed up at this match. I just can't say enough about how nice everyone was and what a great group of people you are. There were great shooters, shooters, and not so great shooters present but it sure looked like every single person was having a great time. Granted I didn't get to meet everybody, but I sure didn't notice any out of control egos at this event. Everyone just appeared to be having a really great time. Listening to Mike Kolar that has been both a blessing and a curse. The attendance was just amazing. People just love this stuff too much!

Can't wait to shoot with quite a few of you at Pueblo again this month and I'll be back in NM in April for round 2 (for me).

Lastly, I'd really like to thank Frank and everyone associated with this site whom I have learned so much from. While I certainly wasn't a top-tier shooter at this event, I absolutely shot much better based on the online training and education I've gotten from this site.

So, basically, thanks to everyone!

Mike Kolar is the driving force behind the Sporting Rifle Match, and - over his objections - we often call it "Mike's Match" for short. In 2004, Mike canvassed the local 3-Gun and LR shooting crowd for interest in the match, and for "investors" to help buy the targets, stands, and other material required for the match. I don't know the exact number, but I think more than a dozen shooters contributed. Mike then negotiated with NRAWC to make the match happen. Then about a half dozen shooters were involved in the initial setup of the stages, target positions, etc.

This group, plus or minus, was involved in moving stages around over the next five years to generate the stage/target setup you see now. There is a somewhat variable crew of people who help set up (paint targets and stand a few up) every month. Our own C. Ward and M. Field are amongst the shooters who have had the most involvement in the SRM over its life so far. My own involvement has waned a bit since 2008 due to other commitments, although I do run the web site and post photos from time to time.

Here are some photos from the July 2004 match. You might recognize one of the stages. This was back before I got my first AI, which should date it also...

With regard to scores, these get emailed to me a few days after the match and I post them immediately once I get them.

thanks
Zak

Hey jaydoc1:
It was a kick shooting with you, your Dad, and Alec on Sunday. Hope to see you three next month. Those guys really bust their butts to put on a really quality match.

Zak:

When I started shooting with you guys it was a big deal to get 20 shooters. The match has grown into an event for a lot of shooters to plan their month around. Mike is the driving force, but there are a group of other shooters that you have recognized here that have been and still are very important. Thanks to them all.

ill be headed back down in apr, also looking to see if anybody want to catch a ride down with me? i plan on going down saterday morning and staying in the competitor housing. if you are in the denver area or anywhere between denver and raton along I-25 and want a ride let me know....

It's going to be windy. 26 MPH WSW wind gusting to40 MPH. The temp on Sunday is forecast for 76F.

Congrats and amazing shooting to the two phenoms who managed 50's on that windy SOB day!

Neal Terry and a Colorado Resident....

This was my first match at this venue. As stated, wicked winds. Wind at 7:30am start was variable from 15 to 10 mph. By the time we finished up around 2pm, winds were sustained at 48 average, max gusts around 60. On the last stage, at about 1:45pm, I only hit 1 target out of 6. Wicked wind.

Was amazed with the guys that shot 50's. That was really something. They must have been shooting laser beams or the like
smile.gif
I'll be back next month. So long as we don't have another hurricane, I think i'll be able to better my 33 score.

Mike Kolar puts on a great match!

-David
Edgewood, NM

Only two more weeks 'til we go again!

I hope it isn't so damned windy for the May shoot.

-David
Edgewood, NM

Weather was good. My first time down there and am looking forward to the next time. Met some good folks and learned some things for sure. Hats off to Mike and those who helped out with the range work. Thanx

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: deisel</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just wondering if the Raton fire is getting close to where this match is held? Sure hope not. </div></div>

We were down in that area flying today. The fire is pretty much north and east of Raton proper, but it did jump the highway. 5% containment isnt good, but it is better than zero. Here is what it looks like as of a few hours ago.

All our airborne firefighting stuff is ready to go and we are itching to go fly, but the Forest Service has too many air assets in the area already. Big plane little sky...

Track-fire-3-D-map-2133-6-14-2011.jpg

Wow, that's chilling. That is a huge area.
It looks like it's close to taking out the Sugarite state park area to the NE of Raton. What a shame. I've done some trail running up there and it's a beautiful and popular park. Bears aplenty.
"Let the USAF drop..."

Not one of our planes, but an excellent pic of some friends working the Raton fire. This pic was taken North and West of Raton. That is 2,000 gallons in the air at once.

Reports from down there are that the fire is 45-50% contained. That is huge.

ss-110615-arizona-fire-07.grid-6x2.jpg

Best I know is that the fire did not get close to where the match is held.

Zak will have to confirm/deny.

As of last night there is no change in the schedule .

I am loading ammo tonight, just about ready to go. I am just south of downtown denver if anyone wants to hitch a ride with me on saturday.

Set up starts at 12 this month because of the extra tear down for the SS break and looking to relocate a position .

Another challenging, at least for me, and fun match. Big thanks to Mike, Chuck and everyone who helped out. The match always teaches me how pitiful I am at reading wind.

Final match of the year is just over a week out. I'm planning to be there.

-David
Edgewood, NM

Wow, I had never heard of these matches and I live in Raton. I am gonna have to check one of these out. When is the next match? I am still a newbie and don't know any of you guys. The only guy that I know from around here at the snipers hide is up on the mountain chasing elk.

Sounds like a great time and a great excuse to go shooting.

Nevermind, it is going on today. Oh well, I have all winter to practice.

It was a great shoot! We had 68 show up. Last squad finished up around 1630. Very good conditions, although the new target configuration on stage 4 and overgrown brush on stage 9 made for some interesting shooting.

Best score to my knowledge was Chuck with a 56.

Looking forward to February.

Gonzaga: They've been run every month from February to September for the last 8 years or so. I only found out about them last fall and I'm in NM and at Whittington every other month. Website is http://sportingriflematch.com

-David
Edgewood, NM

Thanks David, I am gonna mark down those dates and start practicing. Sounds like a good time, and a little challenging too.

It was a good match this weekend. Very nice conditions the whole day. That did not deter me from screwing up a few shots lol. I cant wait untill next year.

What a great year of matches. Big thanks to Mike K., Mike F. and Chuck W. for all the work in putting on the matches.

Congrats to Chuck for pulling off the win on the last one.