• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Monthly Sporting Rifle match RATON NM

Re: Monthly Sporting Rifle match RATON NM

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Prairie Dog, AR and wed night steel matches for March?</div></div>

I'm not Hoser, but the Pdog matches are 3rd Saturday which is the 21st of March, starts around 11am. Tactical rifle match is 4th Sunday which is 22nd of March, shooters meeting at 10am.

I'm not Hoser either, but I read on the net the Pdog matches start in April. Could be wrong, but just wanted to post a heads-up.

This last match at Raton was my first ever, I had a blast! I would recommend for anyone in range of the Whittington center to make the trip. Thanks to everyone that helped set it up, and a special thanks to Nine Hotel (Leo) for all the coaching, half my score was due to your efforts.

Had to leave early to see what was up with my rifle as I wasnt hitting anything and found out that my scope was broken. Was attempting to do a box test when I got back to the springs and entire sight picture was lost after 10 or so shots.
frown.gif

Looking forward to another try when I get equipment issues hashed out.

Aside from freezing my butt off in the morning, it seemed like a great time and was well run. Good job!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MrButterpants</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Can I have a recap please on when the date and times for your:

Prairie Dog, AR and wed night steel matches for March?</div></div>

PD/Sniper matches (3rd Saturday, 11:00-12:00 start) and Rifle matches (4th Sunday, 10:00 start) start this month.

Weekday afternoon Steel starts in April.

My AI is headed back home right now with a new barrel. Hopefully I will be able to get down to Raton more this year.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MrButterpants</div><div class="ubbcode-body">what chambering on the AI? I know you're too sassy for 308 </div></div>

6CM aka 243 half an ackley.

Not too sassy for a 308, too much of a sissy.

We can shoot in the snow! Seriously, though trying to make plans, have guys coming from NM and Colo. Any word if they are planning to cancel?? Storm is on Sat, clearing on Sun.

Jerry

Mike calls me ASAP if he has to cancel the match, and I post it on the web-site. It's never later than Saturday morning-- usually before Friday. I haven't heard from him this week yet so assume it's on.

the storm is coming friday night...or at least predicted to. you'll be fine coming from south or east, but it might be a long drive trying to make it from denver....especially sun am.

So the question is, who wants to bring me some fed 210m or 215m primers to buy????
laugh.gif

Too shitty up here now for me to make the AM drive. Someone spank the wookie for me plz and enjoy freezing your asses off.

I decided not to brave the weather either, hope everyone has fun.

It was 18 deg when we started and about 39 when we finished. A good time was had by all.

The 2010 dates are ,
7 Feb
7 Mar
4 Apr
2 May
4 Jul
8 Aug
5 Sept

These will be posted on the website also , http://sportingriflematch.com/ , this is a new address but the old one sends you there . We had a record turn out last year with a lot of new and good shooters come out , hope to see you next year also . The first match is only a month away .

I got a PM from a new shooter asking a few questions. While most this info is contained elsewhere I thought I'd bump the thread and put it here as well.
------------------------
No drag bag or mat needed. The pace at which we shoot the match it is preferred not to have one. If it is wet then wear goretex as an outer layer. You are gonna get a bit dusty more likely than muddy. Bring a lightweight mat if you like though.

A long regular sling works very well. Side mounts are nice but not necessary. If you wear a 3 day or day pack you will be fine. Carry in the pack the following:

- water
- some calories (clif bars, trail mix, etc.)
- ammo
- rear bag or sand sock
- binos
- something to write with.

Dress in layers. Be prepared for low double digits and some wind first thing, in the shade. The day normally warms quickly. The 3 day pack is good as it is easier to carry shed layers in as the day warms.

We come by the trucks at some point during the day, depending on what station you start out on, so you can shed clothing from your pack then if need be.

Eye protection is mandatory.

Electronic muffs help a ton for hearing hits when spotting.

Shooting sticks - no big deal if you do not have them - someone can loan you some if need be the first few times. The basis for the match is no gear sharing so that people don't squad up and each bring specialized gear.

Last 2 years we only had 1 shot that was not prone and it was shot sitting. It all has to do with the terrain and the foliage (ground grasses and tree) growth.

Most shots are under 550; what that means is decent dope will get you by. BUT to make a handful of long shots you need VERIFIED dope out to 900. Our long shot is labeled 875.

Distances are given but for the critical shots you'll want to range them yourself.

Don't skip the match if you only have dope to 600. Only a handful of shots past that out of 60.

Many wear their rifles between stations with the sling long, then put the muzzle up, then the sling runs over your head on the muzzle end, across your shoulder, down your back, and the butt is under your opposite elbow. Basically put the rifle up over your head and your butt end arm through. This is a hands-free carry method. Poke around on Zak's web site for some of the earlier pics several years ago and you'll find people carrying that way.

Try to be there saturday about 2:30 and shoot the practice. If you have 100 rds of ammo you'll be good for the weekend. Bring more rifles and play during the practice if you want. It is an open shooting period.

NOTE NO AR-15s for the match or practice. AR-10s are fine.

NO CURRENT OR PAST US .mil camo clothing. Foreign country camo is fine.

You will be on the course 6-8 hours depending on how many people show up.

Spotting scopes and mats become more cumbersome than helpful. Binos and ears work great for spotting hits.

Have your dope in some convenient form that won't blow away in the wind. You will have 3 minutes for 6 shots. The target distances are known and you get to do some ranging/note taking before the 3 minutes starts. A field sketch is given for each station but you are not to write on it. Targets are taken in the order of your choosing. You can make a field sketch but you need to be expedient. The clock starts when you fire your first shot. You will make dope changes and locate targets on the clock.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">NOTE NO AR-15s for the match or practice.</div></div>
I believe this rule is now obsolete. Chuck?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Distances are given but for the critical shots you'll want to range them yourself.</div></div>
There is no need. The ranges are on within 5 yards for all targets, verified with multiple LRFs of different brands. All the targets can and have been hit using the written distances.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
The target distances are known and you get to do some ranging/note taking before the 3 minutes starts. A field sketch is given for each station but you are not to write on it. Targets are taken in the order of your choosing. You can make a field sketch but you need to be expedient. The clock starts when you fire your first shot. You will make dope changes and locate targets on the clock.
</div></div>
To add on this, I strongly recommend planning to do nothing but plunk down and shoot. If you, individually, or as a squad, mess around before your respective "3 minutes" start, you will get behind schedule and eventually slow the whole match down.

An experienced SRM shooter on your squad will visually point out the targets as you arrive at the stage. You don't need a field sketch or any notes. Watch how he shoots the stage, particularly where he shoots from (within the "arms reach" radius from the position stake) in order to see and engage all targets. When it's your turn, all you need is to remember where the targets were. Let your spotter know your order, and when your last shot is done, he'll read you the next range. It can be very quick.

Most of the experienced SRM shooters have no setup/screw-around time as the squad arrives at the stage (assuming no backups) and each finish shooting in 80-95 seconds (ie, about half the time or less). The next guy is ready to go as soon as the last shooter picks his rifle up out of the dirt.

I emphasize this because time is of the essence for several reasons.

1. As this match grows and we have 40+ people on a regular basis, that means 10 squads of 4-5 shooters each. If one squad gets behind the whole match (everyone behind them in the rotation) get backed up. Due to travel requirements, nobody wants to get out of there at 5pm or later. An efficient squad of 4 should be able to shoot the entire match in 3.5 hours or less, assuming no backups. The more efficient each shooter and squad is, the more people can shoot this match each month.

2. It is in your best interest to shoot efficiently. Since you don't get any "sighters" or extra shots, a majority of your wind feedback comes from what you observed from your last shot. The more time you take, the more the wind can change over your string of 6 shots. Additionally, shooter performance typically degrades the more time you're out in the field or on the trail.

This is a great match, I highly recommend it. I do bring a mat for the Saturday shoot. This is from a static position to check your dope or to sight in and I do find a mat useful.

With the change of the Program director and Executive director last year the ban on AR's went away . Any AR is OK on practice day as long as <span style="font-weight: bold"> ALL THE BRASS IS POLICED UP </span>. On match day they can be used as long as they meet the minimum caliber and velocity requirements and <span style="font-weight: bold">ALL THE BRASS IS POLICED UP </span>

The range cards are laid out in the patter the targets are in the field except for 1 station , IIRC , and after the first match We'll be working on updating them . The ranges on the cards are +/- 5 yards like Zak indicated being checked periodically during the year . The targets have all been hit with 308's with the indicated ranges .

Like Zak was saying the typical procedure is for the experienced shooter to point out the targets and make sure that everybody has found them . It has also been my experience that you give the score keeper the order that you want to shoot and as soon as the shot breaks they call out the next range . All the stations can be shot and hits made , the important thing , in 1 minute to 2 minute range per shooter . The shooters need to have the rotation down as most of the time is in the set up and stage prep .

Zak's last 2 points are good as the one about the wind has proved to be true in more than one occasion while I have been shooting and the time one because I'm the last one out the gate with a 3 hour drive to get home and be at work the next morning so I'm being a little selfish there .

Oh I forgot that most all the common questions and the rules , map , etc. can be found at the website , http://sportingriflematch.com/ .
If there are any questions that aren't answered there just PM or post and if I don't have the answers right then I'll find out and get back to you .

I'm definitely going to shoot a few this year. Can't make the first 2 becasue of proir commitments, but in for the April one for sure. I only have data out to 600yds for now. Hoping to get data to 900yds next month. For now, using the PD matches at PWSA for tune ups.

Thanks for the info.

FYI, the density altitude has been around 6000' for the last few (late fall to winter) PD matches in Pueblo.

The DA for the late summer / early fall Raton matches was 9000' - 10000' as the day progressed.

Just heard from the match director that there is a balloon festival in town this weekend and the hotel that we normally stay at , The Robin Hood , only has 6 or 7 rooms left as of an hour ago

I got a double room at the Robin Hood early this afternoon. They are holding some rooms for the match. They said be sure and say you are going to match.

NO CURRENT OR PAST US .mil camo clothing. Foreign country camo is fine.

Does this include packs, or just clothing?

What's the reason for this rule? I guess those who wore Multi-Cam in the past, can't wear it now since the US Mil. is now using it?

I can't wear woodland, but I can wear French camo which is very close in pattern and shade of colors to woodland. Makes no sense to me?

2.8 Please no "military" camo. Hunter camo such as "Realtree" or blaze orange camo is OK.

Don't know where You got foreign camo was ok from this but it is not . The camo rule was a concession to The Whittington Center , there facility and insurance so there guidelines .

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: C Ward</div><div class="ubbcode-body">2.8 Please no "military" camo. Hunter camo such as "Realtree" or blaze orange camo is OK.

Don't know where You got foreign camo was ok from this but it is not . The camo rule was a concession to The Whittington Center , there facility and insurance so there guidelines . </div></div>

It was posted in the thread above by 9H. So does this apply to clothing only, or can your ruck sack and hydration bag be mil camo?

Tough match this weekend with the switching winds.

Cant wait for next month.

As a first timer shooting the match (OK, I watched the Aug '09 one), it was one of the most fun and challenging shooting matches I have ever shot. Granted, I'm not as experienced with rifle matches as pistol -- maybe they're all like this.
I learned a ton from the old timers like Hoser...

As I've been hearing the what a great game this LR game is from the core group that puts this match on for years, it took me too long to try it. Now, I can't wait for next month.
Thanks to Mike and crew & the Whittington Center for letting us shoot in that great terrain.

Swirling winds? Hmmm. There were a couple of stations where you felt the wind quartering from behind your right, with a full value L-R cross wind out at 600. Humbling experience but a great learning.
One easy learning: I need better binos...

I had one of my lowest scores there this week yet someone won with a 58 out of 60. That''s sick shooting on a day like that SICK. If you haven't shot this match it's hard to explain how good a 58/60 on a day like that is. AWESOME shooting

I just got a link to this today. It is my birthday on saturday. I am thinking of blowing off the family and going to shoot this competition. It sounds like a great birthday present to myself. I am thinking about bringing an AR-30 in 300wm. Are muzzlebreaks frowned upon? My other concern is the weight, it is not exactly light. What is the terrain between stations like? and what is the pace between stations? Thanks

Muzzle breaks are fine and commonly used, this is a field match not F class. The terrain is a little rugged, but not too bad. I have shot this with rifles and scope combo weighing at least 15 lbs. You do need a sling to carry your rifle or a pack with scabbard like Eberlestock. Walking pace between stations.

A group of us plan on trying this match after the RM3G this weekend. Should be a blast.
shane

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rmfield</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Check this out. </div></div>
Yes, please make sure to review the rules and information on the web site.

I hump my 18 pound pig around with all my gear . The terrain is mostly flat and easy walking .

I am going! I will be bringing along my lady. Would you guys recomend the competitor housing on site or a local hotel. I need to make reservations tomorow.
I have only been to this range 1 time. Where do I go to meet up with everyone to pay my entry, practice ect...
Do I need binos or can I spot with the scope when someone else is shooting?
I will go read all the rules and watch the video on the linked site now. I could not open it at work. Disreguard if these questions are in there. Thanks all.