• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Monthly Sporting Rifle match RATON NM

Zak Smith

TBAC Guy
Supporter
Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
I thought I posted this here last year, but I couldn't find the thread to update it. The first match of 2006 is coming up in two weeks, Feb 5th.

https://sportingriflematch.com/

<span style="font-weight: bold">The
Sporting Rifle Match
"First Sunday JAN-SEPT"
NRA Whittington Center, Raton, NM</span>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
PURPOSE
The "Sporting Rifle Match" at the NRA Whittington Center in Raton NM is designed to test a rifleman's skills shooting small targets from approximately 175 to 700 yards in the natural terrain, with what he can carry throughout the course. (The "Sporting Rifle Match" has nothing to do with NRA High Power "Sporting Rifle" class.)

The match format is 10 stages spread over a 2 mile distance. Each stage has 6 targets at varying distances to be engaged with only one shot each. Target distances are known to the shooter. There is no time limit, but the shooter must finish within a reasonable period of time. No "sighter shots" allowed. Score is total number of hits out of 60 possible. No one has shot a perfect score, yet.

Match entry is $25. There is partial cash payback to winner(s) based on the match turnout. The balance of fees goes to the NRA WC.

Typical equipment used includes: a rifle capable of 1 MOA accuracy; rifle optics allowing precise hold-over for small targets from 175 - 700 yards; binoculars to spot for other shooters; and a backpack to carry water, ammunition, and a couple power bars.

SCHEDULE
Each match takes place on Sunday.
SATURDAY 1100-1200: Range Officers and anyone else willing to help, show up to set, repair, and paint targets.
SATURDAY 1400-1500: Sight-in stage open for use after target work is completed.
SATURDAY 1700: Sight-in stage closes for the day, range is locked.

SUNDAY 0700: Sight-in stage opens for approx 30 minutes
SUNDAY 0730: Shooters' meeting, and match begins.
SUNDAY 1300-1400: Match finishes, payout to winners, and targets are put down.

Match cancellations will be announced on this web page ASAP before the match, ideally by Friday morning, but it could be as late as Saturday afternoon for a last-minute emergency. So... CHECK THIS WEB PAGE FOR POSSIBLE CANCELLATION ANNOUNCEMENT BEFORE LEAVING.

2006 SCHEDULE

* Sunday February 5th
* Sunday March 5th
* Sunday April 2nd
* Sunday May 7th
* Sunday June 4th
* Sunday July 9th
* Sunday August 6th (TBD)
* Sunday September 3rd

</div></div>Rules and complete details on the web-site.

Last edited:
Re: Monthly Sporting Rifle match RATON NM

I may be coming to NM on business frid but wont be able to bring gear i may if we r close pop in and say hi!!

If you're near Raton NM Saturday, stop by the range location noon-5pm and say Hi, or call my cell otherwise (it's on the match web site under contacts). Note that the range location is NOT through the main NRA WC entrance (if you've been there before).

We usually drive down from the Denver area Saturday morning, get to Raton around noon, set up the targets and then do some practice / sight in until 5pm. Hit a cheap hotel and get up early Sunday for the match. Good times.

-z

Weather is lookin' good, Zak.

http://www.weather.com/outlook/health/allergies/tenday/USNM0254?from=36hr_fcst10DayLink_allergies

If I enterpret it correctly, round count is around 70?

Can you explain how mult targets are shot at a stage - are the 6 at a stage at the same distance, or are there diff distances within a stage? Are the targets knock-down? Seems like a lot of time spent repainting/resetting targets between shooters?

Do you have issues with Competitor Housing? $26/single, $44/double, and the Founder's Retreat is available as well at these prices (nice upgrade over the regular comp. hsing)?

round count is 60 rounds 10 positions with 6 targets apiece 1 shot on each hit or miss no painting or reset all hanging steel normally we stay at the robin hood in town

Thanks for the feedback, c ward.

Please answer the question - are the 6 targets at the same distance on a particular stage or not?

In other words, if they are, then the spotter feedback on the first one if it's a miss gets you on the second one (hopefully). If not, then you're talking a lot tougher match format.

targes are from 200 - 700 yds and you only get one shot on each
all the ranges are given and there is no time limit within reason
the other shooter on your squad spot for you the best you can

nobody's cleaned it in 2 years the targets are 4" squares and circles to 10 or 12" depending on the range the squares are hung by a point so the wide part across the points is in the middle
bring a set of shooting sticks if you have them because you wont be able to make all the shots prone which gets quite fun come summer and the grass and weeds are taller
challenging and lots of fun

Sorry for being MIA in this thread. It stopped sending me notifications.

I think the best score to date was just less than 10 misses total, from the 60 potential hits. There is some cash payout to the winner and other places, depending on how many shooters we have.

We have a separate sight-in "stage" available from 2/3-5pm on Saturday after we finish setup, and for 15-30 minutes Sunday morning before the shooters' meeting. It has targets every 100 out to about 400, and then every 50 to 700.

We'll be out there setting up and moving a stage starting at about 11AM Sat.

The targets are GENERALLY about 2-3MOA. Do not expect to shoot everything from prone! The rules allow for shooting sticks, one bipod, a sling, and a rear bag. You can use your backpack as a rest if you want to.

Expect it to be very cold in the morning. We usually have squads of 3 shooters each and finish up by 1 or 2pm.

If you need to contact me, my cell # is listed on the SRM match web site.

The first match of 2006 is history. We had 11 shooters show up for a great day of rifle shooting. Winds were variable and gusting from 5 - 25 mph.

Between the improvised shooting positions to see/shoot over grass & brush, and the tricky wind, this was a tough match.

Two shooters tied for first with 39 (of 60 possible) hits, and the winner was decided in a sudden-death shootoff. NineHotel had an excellent finish, and I shot like $%^*.

Fun was had by all.

The next one is March 5th.

-z

If any of you are thinking of shooting this match but just have not made it there yet, lemme tell ya this is one fun day of shooting!! This was my first field-type rifle match so I can't compare it to anything else like the big tac matches etc. The best comparison I can give you is the difference between shooting Trap and shooting Sporting Clays on a great course. You hike a lot, shoot targets that pose some real world hunting field problems, have to be resourceful with your gear, and hear a bunch more BOOMs than DINGs.

If you hunters think you and your deer or elk setup are good for out to 600, you should seriously consider shooting this match a few times. It will test you and your gear's limits with the real world field problems it poses.

Thanks Zak and crew for getting me through the day. It is the most fun I've had with a firearm in a really, really long time.

BTW eqpt-wise I was shooting a 10X scope and never felt short on power, even out to 685 yds. A 3-9x with good repeatable clicks, enough elevation, and good dope will work just fine for this event if you are a hunter.

Why oh why do all things fun happen on the weekend!

One of these years I'll have a normal schedule. Maby I'll snag a weekend off and head down there with ya Nine, it sounds like a boatload of fun.

What's the elevation there?

That sounds like a great way to spend a day of shooting... Very cool!

Mar. match this sun the 5th weather permitting so far suppose to be 60 and sunny

Yup free bump - WX looks awesome!! C'mon front range shooters, how about some more newbies to the match? The sight-in period before the match will get you all doped up out to 700 yds.

Check in here if you have questions.

It's official, match is on:

"NEWS
The 5 FEB 2006 match is ON! "

from the web site. Hope to see you out there. Just tried to recruit another local at the gunsmith's shop a few minutes ago.

suppose to be 65-70 and sunny we will be down there tomarrow setting up around 11 am

Fun match, great weather, got my ass handed to me (actually handed it to myself) with the new rifle/scope. Leaning towards scope cant at this point. Could not hit the 200-300 targets but got good hits on the long stuff. All my practice and dope verifying had been done at 500-685, and I think I have this one target I shot at 200 a month ago that had the strikes 2.5 inches to the right... thought it was an anomoly.

Back to the range!

That grass looks like a pain in the ass
smile.gif

there is amatch this sunday weather permitting and so far that looks good come down and give it a try

Yea and congrats Zak on a personal best of 41 - he was nippin' at the heels of the hot dogs.

Wind was switchy at times. Other times was a very readable west-to-east 4-7 MPH with peaks in the low teens.

2 new shooters coming down in May.
I think I am that guy that was recruited at the gunsmiths shop.

Looking forward to it, and trying to recruit others.

Colblaster - that would have been me I think. I won't make it again until September due to Highpower match conflicts. Make the trip dude - try to make it Saturday 3p for the practice/sight-in if you can. Two of you can stay cheap in a motel in Rat-Town (Raton).

Roger, we were actually planning on camping at Whittington Center. Would be the first campout trip of the new year.

And we are getting down there on Sat, shooting at Frontier and only have the ability to shoot out to 300 yards at the present time.

Might get out to Ben Lomond and try a little farther before the match. Still working on getting the rifles / loads dialed in.

Should be a good experience. Sight in Sat will at least show us whether our trajectory tables are even in the ballpark.

I notice in the match pics that most are using the high safari sticks for some stages. Would a medium set work (39" Stony Point) or are they too short based on vegetation / terrain ?

I also had a question about scoring. How does that work ? You shoot in groups, so after 1 shooter shoots you walk out and score ? Then back?
Or score via binocs / spotting scope ?

I recommend the full 5' tall sticks, since some "standing" shots remain. I have the shorter ones and they are too short for a few shots.

If you have a solid zero, and run the trajecrory data in the Sierra or a similar program using 6500' altitude and about 70F temp, you should be able to make hits out to 700 yards. One of our new shooters this month had never shot his 260 past 400, and he was hitting the 700 yard plate every time on the practice range, using data I had run for him.

The targets are swinging steel plates, painted fresh Saturday morning. Nobody goes downrange. Squads are 2-3 shooters. One guy shoots and the 1 or two other guys spot hits/misses for him and mark down his hits on the scoresheet. Hits are obvious due to movement and report. If there is any doubt, if the plate swings, he gets the hit. Having a pair or two of binocs per squad is a good idea.

[ link to LARGER image ]

Also, this last match was the first time we had enough shooter to pay $$ out to third place!

Typical target locations:

[ link to LARGER image ]

The furthest target on that stage is right around 500 yards (and the camera is zoomed in a bit). The furthest shot "in the match" is 685 or so.

The sight-in "stage" available Sat afternoon and early Sunday morning has targets at 200, 300, 400, 500, 550, 600, 650, and 690.

-z

Very good, thanks for the info, that is very informative.

Will forward this link on to some friends who I am trying to recruit to shoot as well.

the may match has been cancelled due to a schedule conflict with a turkey hunt at the Whittington Center the match director is trying to get it rescheduled for the 2nd sun. check the website for updates and we'll try to post here also when he hear's back from the Whittington Center

this month's match is this sunday come out and give it a shot

** BUMP **

Just a reminder, the first match of '07 is fast approaching. Weather permitting, we''ll be out there for practice 1/6/07 3:30-5p with the match Sunday 1/7/07. Gate open at 7:00a, shooter's meeting at 7:30a.

The current weather pattern suggests El Nino will hold off any significant snowfall through mid-February. Keep an eye on the web site for go/no go based on weather.

http://demigod.org/~zak/firearms/precision/

BUMP again with an update - looks like NO JAN MATCH - first match will be Feb. See web site for details.

I got the call from Mike-- the Jan match is cancelled due to some schedule conflict with a hunt. I have no idea why the NRAWC didn't know this before, or why our scheduled match has less priority.

They have an early January elk hunt in that area it seems. They had no 2007 calendar published when I looked at their web site and musta just got around to realizing they had the elk hunt scheduled but not posted would be my guess.

Elk hunts = big $$$ Zak. $8,000 a hunter. Beats the $250 or so we'd be giving them by a tad.

looks like the weather is going to co operate this weekend come out and shoot