• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

More economical to rebuild 300 win mag or to buy a new one?

42N8 1

Private
Minuteman
Apr 10, 2008
Idaho
I have a 300 win mag Remington sendero and wanted to know if it would be cheaper to send it in to GA precision to rebuild it or should I just order a new rifle from GA precision?

Last edited:
Assuming you don't want/need the second rifle, it will be cheaper to build off of your existing action. Should save you $400 or so vs. starting from scratch. This of course assumes you're wanting to build off of a R700 action.

Yes I would be keeping the action. But would want to swap everything else out.

Sell your gun and get a custom action. It will almost be a wash price wise and you will end up with a better gun.

The action is worth about 400 dollars plus what you could get for the parts. If that is more than you can sell the whole gun for (doubtful) then build off of it. But if it were me I'd sell it and use the cash towards a new build.

Start with a new action, like stiller, surgeon, bighorn, etc... You will have a much better rifle with much better resale if ever want to go a different direction.

The action is worth about 400 dollars plus what you could get for the parts. If that is more than you can sell the whole gun for (doubtful) then build off of it. But if it were me I'd sell it and use the cash towards a new build.

It does make more sense to sell the rifle and use that money towards a custom rifle. Thanks

I get really sick and tired of seeing people getting into their very first custom rifle being pushed towards a high dollar receiver when they already have a perfectly good donor. "You will have a better rifle" or "your rifle will shoot better". BS! The guys who win major matches with such and such would do just as well with a properly built remington. There comes a point when all your buying is prestige. I think yall talk all the new guys into custom receivers so you can pick their rifles up for a song when they decide this sport isnt really for them! Build on your remington for now and when you can outshoot it start looking for a better mouse trap. 75% of the remington clones offer nothing over the remington other than an extractor, bolt release, or pinned recoil lug. Thats all easy to remedy. The others offer an integral lug or rail which have never been proven to offer any advantage to accuracy or function. The best few may offer some enhanced mechanics like extraction.

I get really sick and tired of seeing people getting into their very first custom rifle being pushed towards a high dollar receiver when they already have a perfectly good donor. "You will have a better rifle" or "your rifle will shoot better". BS! The guys who win major matches with such and such would do just as well with a properly built remington. There comes a point when all your buying is prestige. I think yall talk all the new guys into custom receivers so you can pick their Riflers up for a song when they decide this sport isnt really for them! Build on your remington for now and when you can outshoot it start looking for a better mouse trap. 75% of the remington clones offer nothing over the remington other than an extractor, bolt release, or pinned recoil lug. Thats all easy to remedy. The others offer an integral lug or rail which have never been proven to offer any advantage to accuracy or function. The best few may offer some enhanced mechanics like extraction.

I would agree if his donor was a $350 ADL; it ain't.

I would agree if his donor was a $350 ADL; it ain't.

If it needs rebuilt the barrel is probably gone. If its pristine it will bring $800. He could sell the stock for $225 and the barrel for $125 if its a low round count fluted barrel. That puts him in the receiver, bottom metal, and trigger for $450. That isnt bad for a stainless 700. If the barrel is gone will you buy it for $800?

Chuck

The others offer an integral lug or rail which have never been proven to offer any advantage to accuracy or function. The best few may offer some enhanced mechanics like extraction.

Respectfully disagree with you sir on the integral lug not offering a function advantage. If you desire a switch barrel system, an integral recoil lug makes life a lot easier. Surgeon actions are known to be manufactured so consistently that many shooters have no issue putting a take off barrel of a Surgeon receiver from a another rifle on their own. Actions like Bighorn have a floating bolt head that allow you to conveniently change out the bolt face without needing a completely new bolt. An integral rail pretty much guarantees it's completely true to the raceway. You get what you pay for.

---

It does make more sense to sell the rifle and use that money towards a custom rifle. Thanks

As for the OP, [MENTION=28584]WesP[/MENTION]1, I disagree. You have a fine shooter to serve as the foundation for a build if you're looking to upgrade it unless you are looking for something else performance wise. You don't need to scrap everything because you already have a good stock and action. Also, don't kid yourself in thinking that you'll get $1000 in hand for that rifle; I say you'll be lucky to get $800-$900. GAP can true up your action, chamber a match grade barrel onto your receiver, thread your muzzle, give your receiver an 8x40 upgrade, install a large badger bolt handle, install a DBM kit, cerakote it and get the trigger tuned for a reasonable price.

Barrel - $315
True/Chamber - $350
Muzzle brake installed - $180
Bolt handle installed - $95
Badger recoil lug - $40
DBM kit w/ AICS mag installed - ~ $450
Trigger job - ~ $40
8X40 upgrade - $40
Skim bed - $150
Cerakote - $275

Total ~ $1935

You could save yourself some money by skipping on the finishing and the DBM kit. The only parts that would be leftover would be the take off factory barrel and recoil lug and the BDL setup. Perhaps you could get ~ $100-$150 for them depending on their condition.

The point is that this route would be way less than buying a GAP Rock rifle or getting something like this (although this looks like a screaming deal): (http://www.snipershide.com/shooting...pha-11-long-action-magnum-ai-2-0-chassis.html)

Just simply stating my opinion after making the same expensive mistake several years ago. I did also state you will have much better resale value, but I only say that because I do like to trade every few years, that I can tell you is not BS. I have sold a couple rifles that had Surgeon actions for more than I paid to have them built.
I respect your opinion but just disagree.

Just simply stating my opinion after making the same expensive mistake several years ago. I did also state you will have much better resale value, but I only say that because I do like to trade every few years, that I can tell you is not BS. I have sold a couple rifles that had Surgeon actions for more than I paid to have them built.
I respect your opinion but just disagree.

If you sold any rifle for more than it cost to have built, you should consider yourself VERY lucky. As for the rail and recoil lug arguement, a double pinned lug would be almost as good for switch barrel applications if thats a concern. When you pay $1000-$1400 for an action it iust has to be perfect..........right???

I agree on both accounts, Robert Gradous is who has built my rifles and his reputation is impeccable so when you list a Gradous rifle with a surgeon action it goes quick.

Is it shot out? If so, why not just send it out and rechamber after set back of a thread or two? Or is it you just want to upgrade?

I have a 300 win mag Remington sendero and wanted to know if it would be cheaper to send it in to GA precision to rebuild it or should I just order a new rifle from GA precision?

1) Find a good Smith
2) Buy a barrel of your choice $350
3) Pay smith to true your action and rebarrel + refinish $500 - or more
4) Pick up your rifle when it's finished and go shoot.

If you've shot out your barrel you can rebarrel for under $900 A LOT LESS then stepping into a full custom build. Even with your supplied action a full custom build if you replace all the other parts is gonna run around the 3k range.

Just my opinion...........Save your coin and rebarrel.

Just want to upgrade the rifle.

If you want to upgrade than your gonna drop a lot of coin, this is about typical of a custom build with good components:

1) Your action +$350 -$400 for the build
2) Barrel of your choice $350
3) Stock depending on your taste - $900 - $1200
4) Trigger - $250
5) Bottom metal -$350 - $400
6) Having your action trued - $250 - $300
7) Barrel Chambered - $250
8) Bed action and bottom metal - $200
9) Scope Base - $175
10) Scope rings - $165
11) All metal Cerakoted - $275 - $300

About $3315 without Scope
If your gonna drop that kind of coin on a rifle don't go cheap with the scope. Go Nightforce or Leupold Mark 4

Another $1400 to $2000

So your in about $5k total.

Like I said, I'd rebarrel and go shoot for under $900. if you want to drop a lot of coin then this is the route to take.

Just my opinion......Tickle

Last edited:
I have some experience with this. I have a r700 police that started out as a factory rifle in a McM a4. It shot like dogshit. I did a complete rebuild; new barrel, true action, new bolt, new trigger, bedding, surgeon dbm. I think it all ended up being around 2k to build. Compare that to around 4k that you would spend on a new rifle the way you want it.