• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

More not snipery, but vintage

roostercogburn98

Fudd gun collector extraordinaire
Minuteman
Supporter
Nov 3, 2010
In today’s episode of not snipery but vintage.

Walked into Smokey Mountain Knife Works in Sevierville, TN yesterday afternoon. We were just passing through and did some sightseeing, also checked out Buds Guns.

Walking around the store, I always look for the “old”, or trade in section of the store. Most times I don’t find it, but SMKW had one on the back wall kinda tucked away. They had all kinds of old “pocket” style knives like Case, Old Timer, and such. Towards the end of the cabinet they’re were two little gems that caught my eye. One was a Randall #1, the other was this Colt Tuck Away.

So the basics of what I know and anyone can chime in.
Colt Tuck Away Hunter made by Barry Woods knives. This particular one is a 3rd variation, and they were all made between 1969-1973 iirc. They’re were around 2,500 of this variation made with approximately 15,300 of all variations made. This one has the original box, outer sleeve, and sheath. The sheath has never seen a belt through it, and appears as new like it shipped.
E44856DB-CE66-4494-AFFA-6329034F18C4.jpeg
556A64DE-2647-4AC3-AEF9-8B87892ADCA9.jpeg
3F9E7F24-BB08-4B3A-8FBD-24E39FF16322.jpeg
D0AC16BA-1CC8-41B0-AC84-3A9836AABF19.jpeg
34B59958-B3F7-4A58-A62A-00B30A6932A3.jpeg
D02E836C-981B-4EF8-B594-EF371E774418.jpeg
FC2214D2-8E70-40FB-BB82-23FEC961F36F.jpeg

Last edited:
Known a lot of dudes over the years that are knife gurus, that’s a realm that’s never caught my itch in the collectable world. Always just been a blade on my gerber that opens my mre type of guy. I will say however I can appreciate an old classic knife and that one looks pretty cool

Known a lot of dudes over the years that are knife gurus, that’s a realm that’s never caught my itch in the collectable world. Always just been a blade on my gerber that opens my mre type of guy. I will say however I can appreciate an old classic knife and that one looks pretty cool
You ate MREs? I bet you had a cool life.

We should hang out in real life. We might be ok friends

@sirhrmechanic

Chewed on it for a few days and sent an email to SMKW. The fella who buys, sells, and runs the collector corner for them called me last night about that Randall. He said if it was on the shelf this morning when they opened he would grab it and have customer service call me so I could buy it. I’ll hold off on details, but I believe it is a unique #1 as well.

Fuckered up and bought the Randall #1. Will post pics when it shows ip even though it isn’t what I’d consider “vintage”. Probably made around 1998 or so.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dendro
@sirhrmechanic

Dammit the gun show strikes again. Fount a (like new/maybe is new?) in sheath mini #25. This was the very first mini Randall model ever made, and this one is serial number 20. Don’t mind my grubby fingerprints on the blade!!
View attachment 8472387View attachment 8472388View attachment 8472389
Well, no not exactly. Randall made miniatures go back years ago in the 70's-80's. Gary Randall supposedly made most of them. Model 18, 1, and 1-2 more models. They did not have the "M" mark back then. Very few were made of each model. They stopped partly because of people counterfeiting them. They would take a model 5 and make a mini 1 and sell it for big money. I bought a Mini 1 in the mid 90's from a known Randall dealer and sent it to Gary Randall to verify. Gary said it was fake. Big pissing contest between the the dealer and Gary. Got my money back and walked away.

This is a rough list of the "New" Mini series:
Model 25 , 1,500 made (issue price $320) 1996
Model 1 1,500 made (issue price $295) 1998
Model 3 1,500 made (issue price $310) 2001
Model 14 3,000 made (issue price $340) 2004
Model RKS5 Drop Point , 1,500 being made (issue price $478) 2006

Well, no not exactly. Randall made miniatures go back years ago in the 70's-80's.
Yes, you are correct. I was referring to what was actually listed and sold as a mini with the “m” or “s” mark.

The ones you talk about are harder to find for sure.

Dont forget the 27 mini, which is still marked “m” but not a limited series production. They have added the newer version as well, the copper companion.

Reactions: roostercogburn98
Yes, you are correct. I was referring to what was actually listed and sold as a mini with the “m” or “s” mark.

The ones you talk about are harder to find for sure.

Dont forget the 27 mini, which is still marked “m” but not a limited series production. They have added the newer version as well, the copper companion.
The "S" means stainless blade.

I stopped collecting them years ago. The Randall Knife Society fell apart, mostly, when Rett passed. A Randall dealer took over after a year or so but I haven't kept up since.
I would like to find a Model 2-4" with ivory handle but Randall stopped doing Ivory 20-30(?) years ago even if you supply. Not sure on date but a long time.

Reactions: roostercogburn98
The hatvgu
The "S" means stainless blade.

I stopped collecting them years ago. The Randall Knife Society fell apart, mostly, when Rett passed. A Randall dealer took over after a year or so but I haven't kept up since.
I would like to find a Model 2-4" with ivory handle but Randall stopped doing Ivory 20-30(?) years ago even if you supply. Not sure on date but a long time.
there is a 2-3(m) on fleabay out now. Not what you are looking for, but cool little knife.

I wouldn’t call myself a collector by any means. I just liked the minis and figured the chase of finding a few would be fun. I’d I run by one at a gun show or knife store and I have some money burning a hole in my pocket, I’ll grab it. Mostly stuff for my kids to sell when I’m work food.