• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

More questions about zeroing

TimeOnTarget

Private
Minuteman
Jun 8, 2013
Coeur d"Alene, ID
I am new to long range shooting also, and I am wondering about a few concepts. I only had to qualify out to 300 meters with my M4 and with a red dot type scope, it is pretty easy to do.

I have zeroed my 22LR at 50 yards. How flat should I expect the bullet to shoot? Should I zero 1 inch high at 50 yards to hit bulls eye at 100 yds?

I have a 308 rifle also, and I want to avoid making costly mistakes- crawl, walk, run for sure.

Does this relate directly to the concept of Point Blank Range?

Thanks,

Drop for my rifle using subsonic target off a 40yd zero is roughly 9 MOA or 2.6 mils for 100yds.

As I type this I'm sitting at the range with onr of my other rimfires that prefers high velocity ammo....its taking 6 MOA or 1.75 mils off a 50yd zero for 100yds.

OK, I want to make sure I understand this. In your example, your rifle was dead on at 50 yards and 1 MOA = 1 inch at 100 yards. You dialed up in elevation 6 MOA to hit at 100 yrads. I assume you have a 1/4 per click, so that would be 24 clicks?

Yup....That's with 1250fps rated ammo.

Subsonic I quoted was 1050fps rated ammo.

Excellent! Thanks

So, did you simply look through your scope at the points of impact and note the mils on your reticle for the 6 MOA? In this case, the rounds would have been 6 inches low before your elevation correction.

I hear what you are saying. We have two variables at play. The rifle and the shooter.

Theoretically at least, if your rifle can shoot 1/2 inch at 100 yards and you are a good enough shooter to not screw it up, then we have a better than MOA situation. Is it safe to say that 1 inch at 100 yards is our "industry standard"? If your gun is only capable of 2 inch groups at 100 yards, then we expect 20 inches at 1000 yards?

Thanks for the replies. I am really trying to pick this thing apart. Please forgive me, being an Army guy requires me to break it all down to the basics.

Last edited:
I am new to long range shooting also, and I am wondering about a few concepts. I only had to qualify out to 300 meters with my M4 and with a red dot type scope, it is pretty easy to do.

I have zeroed my 22LR at 50 yards. How flat should I expect the bullet to shoot? Should I zero 1 inch high at 50 yards to hit bulls eye at 100 yds?

I have a 308 rifle also, and I want to avoid making costly mistakes- crawl, walk, run for sure.

Does this relate directly to the concept of Point Blank Range?

Thanks,

You say you are new to long range shooting. Does this mean you perceive long range shooting to be different from shooting at distances you consider to be somewhat shorter than long range? And, what is it that you think is different about it? I ask because when someone says they're getting into long range they usually think they already know how to shoot Thing is, they actually do not know how to shoot. They think that executing the firing tasks is the equivalent of having an understanding for what's important to good shooting. From your initial post, which is on the topic of ballistics, it appears to me you might want to revisit "basic marksmanship" in general to get off to a better start rather than one which will become an obstacle course of surprise issues which you do not have the ability to properly analyze.

Last edited:
You say you are new to long range shooting. Does this mean you perceive long range shooting to be different from shooting at distances you consider to be somewhat shorter than long range? And, what is it that you think is different about it? I ask because when someone says they're getting into long range they usually think they already know how to shoot Thing is, they actually do not know how to shoot. They think that executing the firing tasks is the equivalent of having an understanding for what's important to good shooting. From your initial post, which is on the topic of ballistics, it appears to me you might want to revisit "basic marksmanship" in general to get off to a better start rather than one which will become an obstacle course of surprise issues which you do not have the ability to properly analyze.

Very good point! It can be challenging to communicate on fora sometimes. I try to be short and concise when possible, but some topics are complicated.

I don't want to be that guy who says he knows it all already. I have been shooting all of my life. I have also been to advanced level military shooting schools. But that does not mean that I have been shooting well and as a CSAR pilot carrying an M9 and M4, my training has been very mission specific. We were trained to use our weapon system within its capabilities in a dynamic team movement situation. The old standard of shoot, move, communicate, and keep the team together being the operative goal.

I decided to get into "long range" shooting a few months ago. I bought a 22LR in addition to several 308 rifles so that I could practice the fundamentals. When I shot the 308s, I was humbled by my performance. I decided that I would start from scratch as if I knew nothing about shooting. I want to make sure that I understand without assumptions. The Jedi warrior Zen thing...

I bought a Mildot Master, and I am experimenting with it now. It looks like a great piece of kit. I plan to take my laser range finder with me to work this month and practice ranging exercises.

Thanks for all of the helpful replies.

Last edited:
You are oriented to the equipment associated with long range shooting needs. Your perception is that with aids like range finding and wind reading devices you'll be set for what you think supports long range success; but, these aids are not substitutes for what's really important, which is marksmanship knowledge and skill. My advise, sign up for an M1 Garand Clinic in your area, or the USAMU's Small Arms Firing School. The 3 day SAFS event held at Camp Perry, Ohio will begin with pick-up of orders on Friday July 26. Entry fee is only $45 for training delivered by the best marksmen in the world.

Last edited:
You are oriented to the equipment associated with long range shooting needs. Your perception is that with aids like range finding and wind reading devices you'll be set for what you think supports long range success; but, these aids are not substitutes for what's really important, which is marksmanship knowledge and skill.

No, not at all. I fully understand that equipment does not make the shooter. But I can't carry my weapons with me as I fly around the world nor am I a Federal Flight Deck Officer so, I can't even carry my weapon in the States. I use my time on the road to work on whatever I can.

No, not at all. I fully understand that equipment does not make the shooter. But I can't carry my weapons with me as I fly around the world nor am I a Federal Flight Deck Officer so, I can't even carry my weapon in the States. I use my time on the road to work on whatever I can.

You don't need to carry anything to Small Arms Firing School. Equipment and ammunition is provided.