• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

SOLD More scammers! Very similar name

insectguy

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 11, 2009
Chattanooga
My username doesn't have a capital "i" (insectguy), but someone tried to contact a buyer with the account Insectguy.

Stay frosty.

(btw, it's my other hobby.....)

Reactions: lash
agreed. I got scammed out of money because i fell for it and I have always spotted the scams before. #1 NEVER use F&F no matter what.
I’ll respectfully disagree.

#1 is do your homework.

The reason for F&F is to avoid Uncle Sam, and the ability to use PP for transactions on here.

If you want to make it a personal guideline to not use F&F, that’s fine, but I won’t accept a Goods & Services payment for the aforementioned reasons.

I’ll respectfully disagree.

#1 is do your homework.

The reason for F&F is to avoid Uncle Sam, and the ability to use PP for transactions on here.

If you want to make it a personal guideline to not use F&F, that’s fine, but I won’t accept a Goods & Services payment for the aforementioned reasons.

With the rise in scams I can see there being a rule to use only G&S as payment, luckily we live in a free country and can choose how we accept payment.

I personally stay away from having to send a check or cashiers check ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I posted that I would take an item. Got three messages from different users claiming to be the seller. Two of them claimed the seller didnt check his PMs and asked me to email him which was obviously a scame.

One of the account names was spelled identically to the actual seller's name. Except the L was a shade shorter than a normal L. must have been a special character. I nearly fell for it. I don't know how you wouldn't.

Last edited:
This will keep happening till some rules change.
So you want big site government to come in and take care of you? LOL

People need to be smart and check who is PMing them. If the person PMing you has no posts and is not a supporter that is needed to sell on here then don't send them money. Simple. Take 10 seconds to check their profile. And if it is a scammer then report them so they don't scam someone else.

Also just PM the seller and not say "I'll take it" in the post and open the flood gates of scammers on them.

As for payment, the site will not be telling anyone how to pay. All these scams happen to be done with electronic payments so not sure why people don't want to pay with check or money order. There is a trail there and you have info. It's the safer way to pay.

People need to be smart and check who is PMing them. If the person PMing you has no posts and is not a supporter that is needed to sell on here then don't send them money. Simple. Take 10 seconds to check their profile. And if it is a scammer then report them so they don't scam someone else.

Also just PM the seller and not say "I'll take it" in the post and open the flood gates of scammers on them.

As for payment, the site will not be telling anyone how to pay. All these scams happen to be done with electronic payments so not sure why people don't want to pay with check or money order. There is a trail there and you have info. It's the safer way to pay.

Changing rules doesn't mean being for "big government." Most of these scams are ran from accounts that are minutes old. They see you post "I'll take it," then immediately create a spoof account and try to contact you posing as the seller.

A simple 24hr hold on new accounts being able to PM would solve a lot of this.

I feel like one small simple measure would be some sort of limit on new members using the PX and/or using the DM function.

You know like having a border, that not just anyone gets the cross immediately, and use all services……..

Prospects…..🤠

Reactions: Andrew863
Changing rules doesn't mean being for "big government." Most of these scams are ran from accounts that are minutes old. They see you post "I'll take it," then immediately create a spoof account and try to contact you posing as the seller.

A simple 24hr hold on new accounts being able to PM would solve a lot of this.

No it wouldn't as there are names older than 24 hours doing it too.

Well honestly scams in the past were checks or wiring money.

People need to be more aware of scams, I think as a community someone posting should make it aware that there are scams.

No it wouldn't as there are names older than 24 hours doing it too.
Interesting. So are they running through the list of members that have things for sale and pre-duplicating accounts ahead of time? If so, that's nuts they have nothing better to do with their day.

Well honestly scams in the past were checks or wiring money.

People need to be more aware of scams, I think as a community someone posting should make it aware that there are scams.
Wiring money is electronic. And I have never seen a check scam. The check needs to be mailed to and cashed by someone so there is a trail.

I think more people are seeing there are scams and starting to adjust accordingly.

Interesting. So are they running through the list of members that have things for sale and pre-duplicating accounts ahead of time? If so, that's nuts they have nothing better to do with their day.

No they don't. I just banned one from October. It's how they make their money.

No they don't. I just banned one from October. It's how they make their money.

Well, thanks for trying to keep on top of it. You and the other guys. I'm sure it's like bailing water with a leaky bucket sometimes.

Annoying that these jokers sneak in here and ruin what's an otherwise very honest community.

Not for me, but for the older people that do not understand alot of the scams. I have had this scam tried on me 3 times now. There are some simple ways the site could help.

Reactions: JOThompson
Not for me, but for the older people that do not understand alot of the scams. I have had this scam tried on me 3 times now. There are some simple ways the site could help.

And what would those “simple ways” be?

And what would those “simple ways” be?
Make it where you can't DM for a week and a specific number of post, no this won't get them all and people are responsible for who they send money to but bottom line it will help. All the ones I have seen were new accounts that had just been made, and several of the people that post about it mentioned it was a new account. Just seems like a simple way to help the issue and take one of the tools they are using.

This will keep happening till some rules change.
The site has tried all sorts of rules, but the scam changes accordingly. Truly, you need to understand that this is not a site put here to expedite your purchases or sales.

Once the site accepts responsibility for your actions, they set themselves up for liability. It’s not happening and you should understand that.

The rules are: it’s a wild and cruel world out there and you need to act accordingly. Nobody else should take responsibility for your actions.

Buck up, buttercup.

Reactions: dlouie87 and Rob01
Neither will help. They will come in to welcome posts and post welcome however many times and by limiting when they can PM will limit people coming on the site to buy items. Also they will just make multiples and go back to the sleeper accounts and use them like the one from October I banned. This sounds like a simple situation to make rules about but it’s not. It falls on the user in the end to watch out for themselves.

The site has tried all sorts of rules, but the scam changes accordingly. Truly, you need to understand that this is not a site put here to expedite your purchases or sales.

Once the site accepts responsibility for your actions, they set themselves up for liability. It’s not happening and you should understand that.

The rules are: it’s a wild and cruel world out there and you need to act accordingly. Nobody else should take responsibility for your actions.

Buck up, buttercup.
Not for me bubba just trying to help. Guess I'll set back with people like you and say to hell with everyone I'll worry about me. Hell I thought the gun community was known for trying to take care of its own.

Reactions: JOThompson
Neither will help. They will come in to welcome posts and post welcome however many times and by limiting when they can PM will limit people coming on the site to buy items. Also they will just make multiples and go back to the sleeper accounts and use them like the one from October I banned. This sounds like a simple situation to make rules about but it’s not. It falls on the user in the end to watch out for themselves.
I get what your saying, just that most I have seen were new accounts. Just hate to see good people get screwed out of money to have to learn a lesson.

I get what your saying, just that most I have seen were new accounts. Just hate to see good people get screwed out of money to have to learn a lesson.

No one wants that. If anyone sees a scammer then hit that report button and they are usually gone fast. We need the members help to fight this as well but trying to keep making rules to do it is a losing battle that just takes away the way normal users get to use the site to try and effect the scammers which find their way around whatever rule we make.

Not for me bubba just trying to help. Guess I'll set back with people like you and say to hell with everyone I'll worry about me. Hell I thought the gun community was known for trying to take care of its own.
Hahaha! There is no way that we can watch out for you, nor anyone else. That is and always will be your responsibility.

As I said, they have tried all the things including your “simple solutions” and to no avail. The scam just changes accordingly.

Again, and I repeat myself, this is not a Gun exchange site. It is a forum. Buy and sell at your own risk. Or don’t. Just don’t cry that it is someone else’s responsibility to look out for you. It’s simple really. Just like real life even.