• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Mossberg 4X4 MVP rifle

Re: Mossberg 4X4 MVP rifle

I tried to order one (and an MMR) this past week; and after my dealer did his due diligence, it would appear these rifles are still mostly vaporware. His distributers say the the factory hasn't shipped them in any substantial numbers yet.

On paper, they are great rifles, but on paper is the only place I've seen any so far.

Greg

Want to see one in the wild or reports ,,saw an ad in a mag, was wondering of anyone got thier hands on one?

Good luck, I've been looking everywhere for one of these. I was told by multiple companies that the package gun isn't even out yet. I found one company that had just the gun, but nobody has the package gun yet from my understanding.I'm dying to get my hands on one. I own 2 4x4 hunting Mossberg's, can't wait.

I don't know much about mossberg rifles. Do they have a barrel nut and a floating bolt head?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mwroseberry</div><div class="ubbcode-body">They are built on a Howa action. </div></div>

You're thinking of their older bolt action. I think it was even designated the Mossberg 1500 (same as Howa 1500, S&W 1500, Weatherby Vanguard, etc.).

Their newer bolt actions are of their own propietary design, I believe. They do have a floating bolt head and barrel nut design similar to Savage, although from what I've seen, the barrel nut is staked on the bottom to prevent removal.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kewes</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mwroseberry</div><div class="ubbcode-body">They are built on a Howa action. </div></div>

You're thinking of their older bolt action. I think it was even designated the Mossberg 1500 (same as Howa 1500, S&W 1500, Weatherby Vanguard, etc.).

Their newer bolt actions are of their own propietary design, I believe. They do have a floating bolt head and barrel nut design similar to Savage, although from what I've seen, the barrel nut is staked on the bottom to prevent removal. </div></div>

When did that happen because just last year I picked one up of the shielf (another model not the MVP) and it was definately a Howa. If I'm wrong I stand corrected but it must have just happened.

Good luck,
Merritt

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mwroseberry</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kewes</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mwroseberry</div><div class="ubbcode-body">They are built on a Howa action. </div></div>

Their newer bolt actions are of their own propietary design, I believe. They do have a floating bolt head and barrel nut design similar to Savage, although from what I've seen, the barrel nut is staked on the bottom to prevent removal. </div></div>

When did that happen because just last year I picked one up of the shielf (another model not the MVP) and it was definately a Howa. If I'm wrong I stand corrected but it must have just happened.

Good luck,
Merritt</div></div>

I'm not sure exactly when they stopped selling rebranded Howa 1500's, but I know it was quite a while ago.

I bought a Mossberg 100 atr several years ago and it is definitely not a Howa action. If you remove the stock the difference is more noticeable (round bottom instead of flat and recoil lug sandwiched between barrel and action instead of being integral). Also, the barrel is secured using a barrel nut configuration similar to a Savage/Stevens. Howa's are attached like Remingtons.

But I have harvested lots of deer and other animals with that rifle. I feel like I got my money's worth considering it was less than $250 out the door, brand new.

I'm guessing your rifle had been on the shelf for a while if you bought it new. It would be a model 1500 instead of the 100 atr or 4X4.

Has anyone seen one of these in the flesh yet? The MVP I mean. Really want one super bad.