• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Most Efficient Way To Train Carbine

vinniedelpino

Major Hide Member
Minuteman
  • Sep 27, 2020
    Charlotte NC
    Looking for a little insight here.

I took the plunge on a Dillon 750XL with the intention of making 2022 the year I get decent with an AR. I have 10k rounds worth of components to last me from May to December. Not much by some standards, but for a guy that shoots an average of maybe 1500 .223 per year that's a big jump.

I don't want to burn ammo, but rather be as productive as possible. I dick around with a shot timer occasionally and use a laser cartridge for dry firing, but I've never really been in a position where I've been able to fire enough volume quickly to truly familiarize myself with the recoil impulse of the rifle. I'd like to be able to shoot faster with acceptable accuracy out to 100 yards.

What would you guys do? I've always been more of a precision shooter. This is new to me and I want to make the most of it. Primary rifle is a pinned 14.5 middy with a 1-6x Delta Stryker, if that matters to anyone. I've been googling and watching youtube vids to get a feel for what I should be doing but I figured I'd run it by you guys before committing.

If you’re still on the east coast I’d try to catch a class with Nick Young(velox training group) or Mark Smith(jbs training group). If you can’t catch a class do a day or half day of private instruction. I took a collaborative pistol/carbine class with them and it was one of the most fruitful classes I’ve ever taken.

I haven’t taken a carbine specific class with him but I’d throw Jon dufrense(kinetic consulting) in there also.

There are others, I’m certain but I haven’t had experience with them. Either one of those guys will put you on the right track. In this day and age no one wants to burn components on things that don’t hone your skills.

If you can’t or don’t want to go to a class then look at the content those guys put out and film yourself in your own practice to see your deficiencies.

If you’re still on the east coast I’d try to catch a class with Nick Young(velox training group) or Mark Smith(jbs training group). If you can’t catch a class do a day or half day of private instruction. I took a collaborative pistol/carbine class with them and it was one of the most fruitful classes I’ve ever taken.

I haven’t taken a carbine specific class with him but I’d throw Jon dufrense(kinetic consulting) in there also.

There are others, I’m certain but I haven’t had experience with them. Either one of those guys will put you on the right track. In this day and age no one wants to burn components on things that don’t hone your skills.

If you can’t or don’t want to go to a class then look at the content those guys put out and film yourself in your own practice to see your deficiencies.
    Good looking out. Velox is running a class about an hour and a half from me in Sept. Definitely going to register.

I’ve shot a few comps, but never a class. It’s time.

Frank Proctor offers online training for $10/mo. You’re welcome.

If I shoot on my own it turns into a static "How small can I make my groups" session.

I like classes because they force me to do shit I wouldn't otherwise do.

Some training near you in NC and SC

37 PSR (Raidon Tactics)- Bunnlevel, NC https://37psr.com/

Academi (formerly Blackwater)- NC, CT, and San Diego CA https://www.academi.com/

Larry Vickers (ret. Army Delta)- Aztec Training Services, CT, IN, ME, MN, NC, NE, NJ, NY, PA, SC, SD AZTEC Training Services | Firearms Training | Military LE Training

Jeff Gonzales (former SEAL)- Trident Concepts, and Aztec TS, CA, FL, AZ, NC, and others Trident Concepts » Trident Concepts

Panteao Range- Columbia, SC https://panteao.com/make-ready-training/

Shootlogic Range- Reevesville, SC Class Calendar - Shootlogic.com

I copied a large list from another forum a year or two ago, can't remember where

Load one mag, one empty, drop bolt on loaded, tac reload with empty (now you got a rep in with a tac reload), start a shot timer, on the beep head shot at 50yds, speed reload from the belt, second head shot at 50yds, try and get that under 6 seconds, 5 is moving real smooth.

Once you get your reloads dialed in, start working on moving and shooting. Reload behind cover, if you run dry mid string, transition to pistol.

You need some training for structure but in general I'd focus on shooting while moving, reloads, transitions, and multi target engagements, swivel at the hips like a tank turret and move your eyes first and the gun will follow.

Know how to clear malfunctions but I wouldn't spend a lot of time drilling it. If it happens in a gunfight let it hang and go to the gun that works.

If you get a chance later behind cover, lull in the fighting, whatever, you can fix it then but only a dip shit is going to stand there getting shot at trying to fix a jam under fire with a perfectly good gun on his hip.

If it's coming from farther out finder cover should be a lot easier because dude isn't 15yds away getting ready to punch your ticket.

In addition to the instruction near you that I posted, there are some good training exercises on the net, in books, and on DVD.

Regular feedback from an expert is invaluable.

I've recently shot a couple entry level USPSA matches and build a few target stands that I can set up anywhere.
    I've got a walther pellet pistol and some of my buddies have AR bbguns and bb pistols to run. Yea its a BB gun but the controlls and handling are pretty close. Lots of choices and different kinds to choose from. The shot timer on my phone picks up me clapping my hands, so you could still time your reaction times and splits.

This thread devolved a little bit but some good info in here for reps on your own if you’re looking for ways to get familiar with gear and keep things sharp

I know this post is a few weeks old, but there is a uspsa GM not far from here that gives amazing lessons. He isn’t cheap, but his lessons are good. I live in Charlotte, so if you want his number, shoot me a pm.