• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

I think I'm going to start a 'weekly carbine drill' thread or something

TheGerman

Oberleutnant
Minuteman
  • Jan 25, 2010
    the Westside
    Because you guys here all shoot, right? (lolHorta)

This week is simple but is probably the most used shot in regards to carbines and combat shooting that there is. It's also overlooked with the carbine just like with the pistol, as it seems 99% of peoples' shooting "begins" once the weapon is up on target, instead of realizing that you are starting when the weapon may not even being aimed at the target and sometimes not even sure there is a target/what the target is.

This week: Up Drill

50 yards
    Steel no larger than 40% IPSC (yeah, yeah, I see you 60% IPSC posers rolling your eyes)
    1 round loaded in magazine and chambered
    Facing target

From 'Go', you bring the rifle up, disengage safety and fire 1 round on target as quickly as possible. You SHOULD end with a hit as well as your reticle/dot still on the target and/or an immediate correction to get on target rather than 'giving up' and putting the muzzle down.

Only hits count. Do at least 3 times in a row with all hits and average your par time.

Gangster Time: 1.1 seconds or less
    Honorable Mention: 1.2-1.5 seconds
    Do you even shoot bro? 1.6+ seconds

Did this with a friend today probably 50+ times and I average around a 1.10-1.2 but I will also get a first round hit 90% of the time at 50 yards on a 40% plate with a full rig on from the high ready.

Last edited:
    what no pictures it did not happen without pics or a video
    I also think your giving "gasters way more credit for being able to shoot when all proof says someone using the force could hit a target more than any of them could " news reports have shown them missing targets directly in front of them while hitting a kid 5 blocks over playing .

Last edited:
    Here is a good one for speed drill with a AK.

5 yards trace a dollar bill to create a box in the high thoracic of a paper target. From low ready, safety on bring rifle up and fire 3 rds. Must hit the box. A good time is around 1.6 secs with a bone stock commie AK. Must use the safety.

5 yards trace a dollar bill to create a box in the high thoracic of a paper target. From low ready, safety on bring rifle up and fire 3 rds. Must hit the box. A good time is around 1.6 secs with a bone stock commie AK. Must use the safety.
    Try from muzzle up and check your times.

Yeah theres a ton of these. For 5 yards thats more of a pistol drill for me; I lose my mind when I see professional classes shooting at 5 yards all day long lol

You really dont understand what level of shit tier NPOA/presentation of the gun you have until you have to come up on a 40% IPSC at 50 yards instead of a fucking full size torso at 5. Even 'really close' has you off the side, and/or you really see that you are just losing the battle with the rifle when every shot recoils somewhere else off the plate.

The Up Drill actually segways into the next drill I had in mind, but are all 'basic' drills that you can do 10 million times and not be too good for.

I like this idea. My youngest has been wanting to shoot his ar regularly and with the current state of ammo availability, I prefer he has something to focus on and not just do mag dumps.

Will these drills help me in force on force situations?

Also my fav youtubers said RDS suck and to get a LVPO...and when using it on x1 mag, weak shoulder, while slicing the pie conducting limited penetration around my moms storage shed, I can’t see through the optic well....does this matter? Or maybe that’s because blood choked myself to death with my sling, after i got whiplash trying to snap shoot from the high ready.

Can you make a water charge out of IV bags? What if you only have a cratering charge and shock tu...oh wait...getting off topic here and probably wrong sub forum.

I like this idea. My youngest has been wanting to shoot his ar regularly and with the current state of ammo availability, I prefer he has something to focus on and not just do mag dumps.

Yeah you dont learn by just firing rounds off.

1 round training is good for multiple reasons. Up drills is all repetition of the presentation and 1 round/recoil as long as you follow through like there is going to be a 2nd shot.

You can train mag changes from a carrier/rig with literally 3-4 rounds. 1 in the gun, 1 in each mag, reload, fire, reload, fire, etc.

Only downside is people tend to ingrain the 1 round mentality in that, they'll fire 1 round and then think the drill is over. So you do need to incorporate drills with unknown rounds, etc.

Will these drills help me in force on force situations?

Also my fav youtubers said RDS suck and to get a LVPO...and when using it on x1 mag, weak shoulder, while slicing the pie conducting limited penetration around my moms storage shed, I can’t see through the optic well....does this matter? Or maybe that’s because blood choked myself to death with my sling, after i got whiplash trying to snap shoot from the high ready.

Can you make a water charge out of IV bags? What if you only have a cratering charge and shock tu...oh wait...getting off topic here and probably wrong sub forum.

Maybe. Sometimes.

Need pics of mom in her shed to factor everything in.

Last edited:
    Yeah theres a ton of these. For 5 yards thats more of a pistol drill for me; I lose my mind when I see professional classes shooting at 5 yards all day long lol

You really dont understand what level of shit tier NPOA/presentation of the gun you have until you have to come up on a 40% IPSC at 50 yards instead of a fucking full size torso at 5. Even 'really close' has you off the side, and/or you really see that you are just losing the battle with the rifle when every shot recoils somewhere else off the plate.

The Up Drill actually segways into the next drill I had in mind, but are all 'basic' drills that you can do 10 million times and not be too good for.
    I like it...

Maybe. Sometimes.

Need pics of mom in her shed to factor everything in.
    You’ll have to subscribe to her only fans account. She doesn’t like anyone to disturb her in the she shed..

• Haha
    Reactions: Mike_in_FL
    You’ll have to subscribe to her only fans account. She doesn’t like anyone to disturb her in the she shed..

Your mom only has 8 likes.

Well gotta say, never thought I'd see the day when a son advertises his mom's onlyfans.

Nevertheless, I recommend doing the drills first dry at home. Train until you get to that 1.1-1.2 second mark, usually it takes 2-3 different sessions for the movements to be ingrained so that you get repetively those numbers and not fumble.

When done, you can also apply mag change and other shit you come up with like malfunction or changing to a pistol.

I use this app to play the start sound:

Great drill, already looking into next one.

No need to be rude. Just helping you factor everything in. Wanted to make sure that all my effort on the flat range was going to help me when the bullets came back from the other direction. Whatever it takes to zip ‘em up.

I'm sure you already know. You forget, we've talked before, so troll attempt 2 out of 10. :D

BTW, what happened to your mom? She's been MIA from Onlyfans since December of last year.

Reactions: Forgetful Coyote
    I'm sure you already know. You forget, we've talked before, so troll attempt 2 out of 10. :D

BTW, what happened to your mom? She's been MIA from Onlyfans since December of last year.

I didn’t forget.

A heavy dose of sarcasm more than a troll.. until the onlyfans thing anyways lol. So I’ll accept the 2 out of 10. You know how the Internet be. The sarcasm relative to the inevitable lack of understanding of what drills are for and what they are supposed to accomplish, which you kind of dug into in post #10. The high vs low ready is an example as well.
    Also, high port would be method of carrying the rifle usually in maneuver as it relates to combat. I don’t know why it would be considered for use in a drill unless there is a misspoke or you motherfuckers are bounding while doing drills in a team exercise.

For others who might not be aware, if you’re bounding, you would go high port to avoid flagging the line while you push towards the/a (egress, objective, break contact, terrain advantageous to defense) etc. This is my example of maneuver. There are other forms of maneuvering that I don’t care to mention.

No idea. Whoever is doing things in that she shed and is in that photo is way to young and way to alive to be my mom. Kind of like I haven’t blood choked myself out with my sling shooting weakside hitting easy corners in a
    threshold. :love:

Because you guys here all shoot, right? (lolHorta)

This week is simple but is probably the most used shot in regards to carbines and combat shooting that there is. It's also overlooked with the carbine just like with the pistol, as it seems 99% of peoples' shooting "begins" once the weapon is up on target, instead of realizing that you are starting when the weapon may not even being aimed at the target and sometimes not even sure there is a target/what the target is.

This week: Up Drill

50 yards
    Steel no larger than 40% IPSC (yeah, yeah, I see you 60% IPSC posers rolling your eyes)
    1 round loaded in magazine and chambered
    Facing target

From 'Go', you bring the rifle up, disengage safety and fire 1 round on target as quickly as possible. You SHOULD end with a hit as well as your reticle/dot still on the target and/or an immediate correction to get on target rather than 'giving up' and putting the muzzle down.

Only hits count. Do at least 3 times in a row with all hits and average your par time.

Gangster Time: 1.1 seconds or less
    Honorable Mention: 1.2-1.5 seconds
    Do you even shoot bro? 1.6+ seconds

Did this with a friend today probably 50+ times and I average around a 1.10-1.2 but I will also get a first round hit 90% of the time at 50 yards on a 40% plate with a full rig on from the high port.
    this is great

I didn’t forget.

A heavy dose of sarcasm more than a troll.. until the onlyfans thing anyways lol. So I’ll accept the 2 out of 10. You know how the Internet be. The sarcasm relative to the inevitable lack of understanding of what drills are for and what they are supposed to accomplish, which you kind of dug into in post #10. The high vs low ready is an example as well.
    Also, high port would be method of carrying the rifle usually in maneuver as it relates to combat. I don’t know why it would be considered for use in a drill unless there is a misspoke or you motherfuckers are bounding while doing drills in a team exercise.

For others who might not be aware, if you’re bounding, you would go high port to avoid flagging the line while you push towards the/a (egress, objective, break contact, terrain advantageous to defense) etc. This is my example of maneuver. There are other forms of maneuvering that I don’t care to mention.

No idea. Whoever is doing things in that she shed and is in that photo is way to young and way to alive to be my mom. Kind of like I haven’t blood choked myself out with my sling shooting weakside hitting easy corners in a
    threshold. :love:

I avoided that by putting the sling in a horse collar and tightening it enough so when it hangs, the tip of the stock indexes on the correct spot on your shoulder as far as where it would be at the correct spot when the gun was pointed. I also learned the index a corner with my foot; basically make a step so my foot lands directly in the door jam on the side/corner where I'm about to go.

I think the worst thing thats happened was I was a little excited coming in and of coarse the #1 guy picked the easy side without a door. I'm 2 and the damn door is inward in the room, but halfway 'open' so a great place for someone to fucking hide. I basically hit the fucking door thinking it was going to weigh 20 times more than it did; was the equivalent of when you pick up a beer mug thinking it'll be glass and its plastic and you almost throw it. Door bounces off the wall at the speed of sound, then comes flying back at me when I'm almost past it and basically knocks me over. Yay.

As for the high port, you're right as far as the term. It should be a high ready; but not the version I see some people doing where the muzzle is aimed at like the 10 o clock because thats the comfortable way to carry the weapon with 2 hands. Mine is is port/high ready hybrid where I have the buttstock under my arm with the muzzle at a 45 degree or greater angle while the muzzle stays in my line of vision onto the target.

Was doing sub 1.0 yesterday. I thought... cool, gangster level. But then I remembered you said 40% ipsc, not a full size FBI Q target...

Looks like I need to draw out a 7x12” (roughly 40% ipsc) box on the paper and then run it.

Just did it. 20 rounds from low ready at 50 yards on 33% IPSC (6"x10"), 3 misses because I got impatient knowing I was gonna have a slow time. Slowest hit was 1.14, fastest hit was .80. Average was right around .95. My low ready was aiming at a chunk of snow halfway between myself and the target, so a competition legal low ready but definitely faster than I imagine any port arms start position would be. Got video for giggles, but it's boring to watch.

I am a gangster, dammit!

If it weren’t for morbid obesity and my CPAP, I’d be totally gangster.

You score this on a curve, right?

Reactions: Aftermath
    I see the logic of pushing beyond 5 yards or whatever kooks do. But seems like the transition part of it when ur already in the eyebox and u transition from one area of focus to the target with some movement either in the torso or the feet seems a lot more applicable then just snapping up from the low ready at something straight away from ya.

Can’t decide if it’s faster to take the eyes out of the eyebox and then reacquire sight picture, or stay in the eyebox. Ran about 1000 rounds the last week in mock ambush setups. Seems to me that right to left for right eye folks is easier to stay in eyebox, but left to right it’s pretty ez to overrun target and waste time searching instead of slightly lowering, pivot to target then snapping up.

Distance to threat , size of target makes a bid difference obviously and degrees of angle to be traveled. Vertical and horizontal.

I’ll run the drill as presented it anyways to see wtf with the 6x.. good thing red dot batteries never die.. apparently 50,000 hours isn’t when it’s -10 at night. Laffin.

7” wide by 12” tall at 50 yeah?

Good thing we can run this bitch off the back porch.

25 yards. Par time at 1.2 seconds on the iPhone app. 15 rounds from the 22 upper

C07B27EC-F7A6-43A1-A1A1-559D07ED7C05.jpeg

As for the high port, you're right as far as the term. It should be a high ready; but not the version I see some people doing where the muzzle is aimed at like the 10 o clock because thats the comfortable way to carry the weapon with 2 hands.
    Mine is is port/high ready hybrid where I have the buttstock under my arm with the muzzle at a 45 degree or greater angle while the muzzle stays in my line of vision onto the target.
    Bro, I know I’m correct in the term. I’ve done this shit in real life too. Which means I’ve been to all the schools and done the shooting packages and am versed in text book terminology as well.

But it’s 100% a high ready. There’s some YouTube video of some guys that called it high port. It’s incorrect, but I know why he calls it that. I never heard anyone say slip joint pliers...most guys say crescent wrench. Well it’s a BUD/S thing. The high port is taught as the high port during land warefare phase, both in closed and open terrain. From his class in 240 whatever, to class 278 and I’m sure beyond, dudes call it high port even in CQB portions of training. Probably still that way. So I get it...

..but it’s a high ready.

It’s a high ready that’s modified to do the function of a high port to avoid flagging the stack while getting so nut to butt it makes a nun blush while pushing through a structure. As you ought to know, roles change during this dynamic, room to room, door to door, hallway to hallway that requires cross movement in potential sectors of fire. The idea is to have situational awareness while having visual confirmation of your barrels orientation while moving. It’s not your way. Its pretty much the way it’s taught across the board. For awhile now.

I dont care to increase my online personality or credibility so I don’t typically post in these things

A) because no one likes to talk about work, it’s not interesting to me anymore since I got out, and

B) because of the overall point that these guys don’t need to know this shit. They’d get themselves killed against any credible threat. Half the fuckers on the hide wear tin hats. They’re not team guys, they’re not doing stuff that warrants tactics used in a team capacity, and no one credible in competition is going to indicate that any form of the high ready is faster or mo betta paper either in any significant way.

I'd like to hear what you guys use for targets for this drill. Won't 5.56 destroy a steel plate at 50 yards, or are you using frangible ammo? I've used paper for this before, but never liked it because you don't get the instance hit/miss feedback that helps critique performance.

Bro, I know I’m correct in the term. I’ve done this shit in real life too. Which means I’ve been to all the schools and done the shooting packages and am versed in text book terminology as well.

But it’s 100% a high ready. There’s some YouTube video of some guys that called it high port. It’s incorrect, but I know why he calls it that. I never heard anyone say slip joint pliers...most guys say crescent wrench. Well it’s a BUD/S thing. The high port is taught as the high port during land warefare phase, both in closed and open terrain. From his class in 240 whatever, to class 278 and I’m sure beyond, dudes call it high port even in CQB portions of training. Probably still that way. So I get it...

..but it’s a high ready.

It’s a high ready that’s modified to do the function of a high port to avoid flagging the stack while getting so nut to butt it makes a nun blush while pushing through a structure. As you ought to know, roles change during this dynamic, room to room, door to door, hallway to hallway that requires cross movement in potential sectors of fire. The idea is to have situational awareness while having visual confirmation of your barrels orientation while moving. It’s not your way. Its pretty much the way it’s taught across the board. For awhile now.

I dont care to increase my online personality or credibility so I don’t typically post in these things

A) because no one likes to talk about work, it’s not interesting to me anymore since I got out, and

B) because of the overall point that these guys don’t need to know this shit. They’d get themselves killed against any credible threat. Half the fuckers on the hide wear tin hats. They’re not team guys, they’re not doing stuff that warrants tactics used in a team capacity, and no one credible in competition is going to indicate that any form of the high ready is faster or mo betta paper either in any significant way.
    A slip joint pliers and a crescent wrench are two completely tools.

That said, please stay out of my garage.

I'd like to hear what you guys use for targets for this drill. Won't 5.56 destroy a steel plate at 50 yards, or are you using frangible ammo? I've used paper for this before, but never liked it because you don't get the instance hit/miss feedback that helps critique performance.
    People often shoot steel and wait for the audible report or to see the hit appear before they aquire another target or check their work through their sights/scope/dot.

Learn how to call your shots during your shooting process and after the shot has been taken.

I like paper at 50 and in. I tend to tape after one or two runs. I use the time to walk down range and think about the last run. I tend jog back or even sprint, b/c I am freak. Often with variation - sprint back, break down, pivot - make the next run. I want the shot broken as soon as the weapon is mounted, or extension reached on the blaster.

If you use steel - angle it down, but (having done it) I would not use steel inside of 50 regardless of angle unless I had frangible.

Reactions: Namekagon
    Fine. People say skill saw in general for circular saw. Is that better? The point remains.
    Of course the fantasy you created of me being in your garage will never happen faggot.
    Maybe you should tell me how many schools taught you this and how many text books explained it this way.

I'm sure it's be much more effective than your explanation of homosexual fantasies.

• Haha
    Reactions: TheHorta

55 grain tends to beat up AR500 steel from a 14.5 or 16" barrel - I reload with HDY 68 grain for steel and it is slow enough that my steel doesn't pock mark up. (I like MGM for steel targets)

Reactions: Namekagon
    Any adjustment on par times if you are running a SPR weight rifle with an rds?

Last edited:
    Any adjustment on par times if you are running a SPR weight rifle with an rds?
    Why? A standard is called a standard for a reason, not to make you feel better about yourself. If you’re not fast enough, just practice, you’ll get there. Speed will come with time and effort. I know I have to practice more.

There are things an SPR can do that a carbine with an Aimpoint can’t do and vise versa. Mixing drills between the two can be a good way of stretching the limits of you and your rifle.

Why? A standard is called a standard for a reason, not to make you feel better about yourself. If you’re not fast enough, just practice, you’ll get there. Speed will come with time and effort. I know I have to practice more.

There are things an SPR can do that a carbine with an Aimpoint can’t do and vise versa. Mixing drills between the two can be a good way of stretching the limits of you and your rifle.
    I asked cause I wasn't sure if it mattered or not. Don't know what I don't know so I asked. Built it like I did back in '11 before I knew better cause I liked the look better.

Edit: To be more specific I was wondering when does a carbine stop being a carbine and turn into a rifle and does that matter. Is a carbine about size or is it about how it is being used?

Last edited: