• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Movie Theater Most realistic/unrealistic action/shooter movies?

Black Hawk Down was pretty decent. One of the only films that actually shows a realistic consequence of somebody ripping of a sustained burst from a SAW next to your ear (DEAF).

Stalingrad and Das Boot are pretty realistic.

The actors of Das Boot was ordered to stay inside the hangar the film was shot so their skin complexion would turn white and unhealthy during the time of the filming.

That's dedication

Reactions: spartan67
Regardless of how technically accurate BHE may be, I love the movie because of how it was filmed. They used a very high frame rate in several places, giving it a grittier feel because you can see every piece of dirt blown into the air by the mines, or every speck of snow when the jet flies past the trees during the missile chase scene. To me, it’s a very visually appealing movie, all other aspects aside.
good movie except for the part at the end where he does the leg slide in the snow shooting his pistol gangsta style ! It doesn't get anymore Hollywood than that.

Last edited:
Reactions: Basher
Up and bored. Just curious on everyone's most realistic and unrealistic action shooter?

For me:

Realistic: John Wick (as far as gun use not the fact that he cant be killed) lol

Unrealistic: ANY of the Rambos lol

First blood is very believable....I agree on the sequels but First Blood? You and I must have seen different movies

I happen to catch Jarhead last night. Cant say much about the scenes as I was never there, but that god damn M40A1 looked pretty realistic! Lol I couldn't see anything to say it wasn't a real M40A1...lol ok carry on....

I always like "Enemy at the Gates". Def a lesser known "sniper" movie. Even though it has the cliche bullet through the scope.

Maybe lesser known movie, but Vasily Zaytsev is one of, if not the most (along with Simo Häyhä), famous snipers. Much fictionalization in the movie.

Vasily exploits in the movie are based on the book of the same name. The character Koenig is most likely fictional but Vasily talks about him in his exploits. He states that the sniper duel took place and he only knew where he was by the reflection of his scope. The shot through the scope is an embellishment though.

I got all the way to the end and all I kept thinking was how no one had said enemy at the gates and right at the end there it was. Great movie! Also agree with doctor who that first blood could totally go down. Decorated spec ops vs some podunk cops in the mountains I know where to put my money.

Shot Through the Heart is worth the time. Some good, some not so good.

Almost any movie or show with guns is dumbed down and annoying. Take John Wick, comic books and three gun matches. Do I watch it, yes. Throw the BS flag, yes.

fury wasnt bad
The ending of Fury really killed it for me, because up to that point, it had some great historical references, and the tactics with infantry, while not commonly understood, were relatively realistic. And the level of randomness to the graphic lethality that was portrayed, was pretty good.

I watched it in a theater with the wife. She was not thrilled at my comment about how any future mechanized fight will also be very lethal.

Tankersteve

Overall I liked American Sniper well enough but I hated the "bullet through the scope scene". One guy (Hathcock) does that in real life (as a total fluke / lucky shot) and now its the go-to schtick for every "sniper" movie out there. Every time 2 snipers face-off its like...here it comes....

Laughable... from what I remember of the movie, that shot was taken at like 1700 meters.... it would have to have had the best change in direction of a single bullet since the single shot theory on JFK... Like from 45-50 degree down angle to suddenly parallel to the ground to make it through a scope... yeap, unrealistic category..

Laughable... from what I remember of the movie, that shot was taken at like 1700 meters.... it would have to have had the best change in direction of a single bullet since the single shot theory on JFK... Like from 45-50 degree down angle to suddenly parallel to the ground to make it through a scope... yeap, unrealistic category..

The Hathcock shot was at fairly short range. Across a river from what I remember. He saw the sun glint off "something", assumed it was a rifle scope and snapped off a shot at it. Lucky hit directly through the scope. At that point the trajectory was pretty flat since we're talking maybe a few hundred yards...not a mile away...

The Hathcock shot was at fairly short range. Across a river from what I remember. He saw the sun glint off "something", assumed it was a rifle scope and snapped off a shot at it. Lucky hit directly through the scope. At that point the trajectory was pretty flat since we're talking maybe a few hundred yards...not a mile away...
that would be correct... short range shot across a raven with the sun in the Ding's eyes.... but you misunderstood my reference... I don't believe a movie has been made about Hathcock... there was one about Kyle and the shot he made was very long range and that was my reference point, in response to the notion that it seems that every sniper movie now needs a shot through a scope for the drama...

Anyone else watch the great silent movie, "All Quiet on the Western Front"? It's got a killer ending!

Reactions: pilotjoe
For space action i'd say 'Star-ship troopers'
and second best would be Chow yun fat 'The Killer'

The Replacement Killers was pretty good too, with Mira Sorvino as his reluctant partner...

Reactions: sgtsmmiii
Jeremiah Johnson and Tombstone seemed pretty authentic, Kill Bill any OO7 movie and mission impossible movie not so much.

Anyone else watch the great silent movie, "All Quiet on the Western Front"? It's got a killer ending!
I've never made it through the whole thing; but I have seen bits and pieces.

Never been in combat; but the opening scene of Saving Private Ryan seemed to capture the absolute chaos those men met at Normandy more so than any movie I've ever seen. It had the feel of what that combat must have been like with bullets, mortars, etc whizzing by, people getting blown up, etc. The camera work and the sound mixing I think were superb. There were also a nice collection of guns for the most part, IIRC, were accurately represented based on some historical precedence (Tommy Gun, M1 Carbine, Garand). I thought the guy who licked his finger was a bit over the top, but I guess you have to "make it interesting" for people.

Not a war movie, but far one of the most, if not THE most, unrealistic scenes was when the worst Bond ever jumped off the cliff at Courchevel Altiport and caught up with the plane, jumped in, yanked back on the control column and managed to fly out....sheer freaking stupidity that one.

Also no service experience, so I gotta ask: how bad is Lone Survivor? Seen it a couple times and always liked it, includes a long running gunfight/chase scene where the Taliban are after the seals. Danny Dietz went to high school across town from me so the story was known locally in the Denver suburbs.

Up and bored. Just curious on everyone's most realistic and unrealistic action shooter?

For me:

Realistic: John Wick (as far as gun use not the fact that he cant be killed) lol

Unrealistic: ANY of the Rambos lol

The best bar none: Scarface

Reactions: pilotjoe
Most unrealistic: Any that does not show recoils when guns are fired!!!

Trying to be realistic I'd say Zero Dark 30 compound raid. Another good one is 13hr benghazi, blackhawk down, Lone Survivor. For being unrealistic a good gun battle I'd Wind River at the oil construction station.

that would be correct... short range shot across a raven with the sun in the Ding's eyes.... but you misunderstood my reference... I don't believe a movie has been made about Hathcock... there was one about Kyle and the shot he made was very long range and that was my reference point, in response to the notion that it seems that every sniper movie now needs a shot through a scope for the drama...

American Sniper pissed me off when he was on a sat phone with his wife while doing his job. I can't see guys being allowed to be on Sat phones with family during combat.

Heat and Blackhawk Down were pretty well done. The combat scenes in Band of Brothers, especially Brecourt Manor, were fantastic.

The Killer Elite was also really well done, based on Ranulf Fiennes book, the Feathermen.

And for an oldie, The Siege at Firebase Gloria was a good shootemup.

Unrealistic? Everything including the above. They are just the least unrealistic. I don’t think you can truly portray combat on a screen.

sirhr

Oh and the village assault in a Tears of the Sun.

I knew Heat would make the list!

At the time this was released-this was the longest continuous action scene ever made. Later on, I watched a lot of video from bosnia and syria-and it was strikingly similar.

The premise was that mankind had lost the ability to reproduce-and the rare child born did not live long.

Also...

Reactions: gro

Also the movie come and see.

The scene that really got to me was the woman dying in a wrecked car.

The soviets killed a cow with tracer fire for the film.

How has no one mentioned Lone Survivor yet, I thought the combat scenes were pretty realistic until the Hollywood ending kind of ruined it.

How has no one mentioned Lone Survivor yet, I thought the combat scenes were pretty realistic until the Hollywood ending kind of ruined it.

I did! I liked the movie but have always wondered how realistic or not the long, main gun fight scene is. No personal service experience to compare it to so when I hear the ex mil guys say Zero Dark Thirty’s raid scene wasn’t realistic — which I thought looked VERY real — I just assume they’re all pretty fake.

Also no service experience, so I gotta ask: how bad is Lone Survivor? Seen it a couple times and always liked it, includes a long running gunfight/chase scene where the Taliban are after the seals. Danny Dietz went to high school across town from me so the story was known locally in the Denver suburbs.