• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Most reliable, accurate 22lr pistol ?? Cost isn't a factor just looking for quality

Kubitza123

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 15, 2012
Central Texas near Waco
What's the best 22lr that's accurate, reliable and has a great trigger??

Not so much worried with what it cost. I was thinking S&W 41 or Volquartsen ?

I'd like for it to be threaded but by no means a must.

S&W 41 happens to be the way to go , what's best length barrel to go with and are the older ones better than the newer ones etc?

M41 S&W is my answer. I preferred the 5 1/2" barrel. The earlier guns are generally considered to be superior. I can not verify that is the case as I only owned earlier models. The earlier guns are easily identified by a loaded chamber indicator at the rear of the slide. The indicator is not present on later production. They are reliable with both match and crap ammo. Their takedown configuration makes them very easy to clean. A nice example is usually won in about the $850. range on auction sites.

Ruger Mark II, bull barrel. Clays or sage rats out to 100yds, no problem. The newer Mark 3 is ok, just a couple features changed. Accuracy still the same. Very nice 22 for around $200-$325. The only fall back to these is teardown. its a pain til you get use to it and learn the simple trick to reassemble.:) Really not as bad as most people's horror stories. Mark II's are the way to go for dependability and accuracy no matter what ammo you feed it!

Brian

mkII and III are great for the price(run one in my local bullseye comps). If you're not adverse to price Pardini SP's and Feinwerkbau AW93's always run near the top around here(slow and rapid). Hammerli 280's are killer accurate with a great trigger, but seem to be a bit more finicky with ammo/velocity from what I have seen and heard from other competitors (never owned one myself). Benelli MP95's are a nice mid-price option that hold their own very well. Don't see too many s&w 41's around here, but they seem nice.

Accurate and reliable, good trigger....Buckmark Varmint or Silhouette.
Out of production for a while, have to find a used one for sale if you can.

Goosed obviously is versed in the world of competition RF handguns but I think you would find a M41 a more serviceable, overall use, won't break, will eat anything, you can pack it around in the field, kit gun, type handgun. As I could never shoot my 41 to it's capabilities it's accuracy always exceeded mine. Safariland used to make a lined holster and the 41 spent much more time in the field than at the range. There was a 5" sport barrel available at one time. It appeared to be a shortened and lightened 5 1/2" barrel but I was never able to find one. My solution was to have my 'smith reprofile an extra 5 1/2" heavy barrel I had bought. It was cool and very serviceable but the weight savings proved irrelevant so the barrel sat in a drawer. I've watched these pistols for years and each year they cost more. You're really just parking your money.

ditto, never got to fiddle around with the stuff goosed has, about the nicest i've had the absolute pleasure to fire are:

S&W 41 performance center
Product: Model 41
see if they can swing a 7"

or high standard's super duper models.
interestingly, some of them have a .22 short conversion.

ruger mkII & III are hard to beat, parts are readily available if you should ever need them, accurizing add ons (if you think you need them) are generally DIY and a multitude is available to accurize or personalize it even more.

Freedom Arms if you can use a revolver. If you need a self shucker I would opt for an old Hamden mfg. High Standard Victor or even better, a 10X.

My MK II Slabside eats everything and asks for more. My Buckmrk Contour Lite does the same. When I'm out on the farm, I usually have a 422 or 622 on my side. I never have issues with them and their light weight makes you forget they are there. When I'm looking for a bit more, I reach for my 41 or my 17. It's tough to beat either one.

Pure bullseye = Hammerli 280, 208, 215 in that order, possibly Walther GSP? (280 & GSP can have a CF upper which is nice)

Most practical = S&W 41 the 5" UIT / ISSF model or the Ruger Mk.2 'spudgun' is nice once good grips added

T

Last edited:
Ruger used to make there semi auto 22 with a SS 10" barrel, I owned one used it for steel silhouette shooting, Like a fool I sold it, Cant find one now, But that was the most accurate pistol I ever owned. It was rifle accurate.

For me, either my Smith 41 or my Hi Standard Military Trophy 107. Both with 7" bbls and a extra 5.25 for the Smith. I also have a Buckmark target with a 5" bbl and the gold trigger but it not the trigger on either the Smith or the HS. Diabetic tremors have removed my ability to shoot any of these very well anymore except from a modified Creedmoor position but damn they will shoot.

Smith is a bit more work to keep clean and functioning, HS is harder to break down but functions very well, the Browning doesn't seem to care, it just runs. I also shoot a Smith 63-5 and a Smith model 17 and a K22.

[QUOYale steve123;3313119]

All yal cool kids an your cool shit.
but iI like it steve
YO[/QUOTE]

Haha, yup it gets the job done! A friend borrowed it for a Team challenge event and he was so enamored with it he immediately put a deposit on a new one. When we were sighting it in off a bag at 25Y with Wolf MT many of the groups were touching for five.

A few months ago I met some older retired guys that meet every Wednesday to shoot on their own properties. If it's a older firearm it seems one of them owns a example. So I have been privileged to try out at least a few cool guns every week that I've never shot before. Fun fun!

I on the other hand have been introducing to them modern weaponry, LOL. Last Wednesday I brought the Benelli out which they raved about immediately following the dispensing of a mag full of ammo. The muzzle flip on this pistol is practically nil because of the forward weight bias. The trigger is 2 stage adjusted a little bit over 1lb. It's a very soft shooting pistol even as 22's go. Just playing around seeing what we could do I turned in a 1.1 seconds for 6 shots from high ready on one 8" plate at 12Y and put in a few just over 2 to 2.5 second runs on the plate rack at same distance. At longer distances the owner of the property hit every plate he aimed at from 50Y to 150Y.

This ones a keeper! - don't own the 41 anymore.

My Browning slab side does very well with almost any sub Sonics. Very good accuracy at 25 and 50 yards

Learned to shoot H/G on a Smith 41, owned a High Standard Supermatic Trophy II. After some time, got to spend a week training with the USMC Pistol Team at Quantico. Team members could have pretty much any 22 H/G they wanted. The vast majority of 22's in the Team Gun Safe were either Smith 41's or High Standards, usually Victors.

If I had a do-over, I'd go for the Smith 41.

Greg

You can't discount the original Belgian made Browning Challenger. High quality construction of all steel..... sweet trigger... very accurate ( from the Nomad / Challenger / Medalist series). Grip angle is more Luger vs Colt, but that can be overcome.

Last edited:
I would avoid a Browning Buckmark. I just worked on one for a friend of mine and am not impressed with it.

I dont target shoot with any of mine but im a big fan of the Colt Woodsman and S&W K-22.

I have at least one of each of the various long, heavy barreled .22LR pistols. My favorite by far is the Browning Buckmark Bullseye, Target. I can hit the 6" gong all day long at 100 yards with bulk ammo. Only one has had multiple failures, but that was after over 1000 rounds without cleaning or lubricating. Once cleaned, it ran reliably again. It's too bad they don't make them any more. The closest thing they make now is the Contour 7.25 URX.

Bullseye
051334m.jpg

Contour
Browning-Buck-Mark-Contour-7.25-URX-051422-536m.jpg

Last edited:
I *specifically* am talking about the well-designed and well-built original BELGIAN made Browning Nomad / Challenger / Medalist guns.

Absolutely top-drawer craftsmanship you will never see today...and the sweetest trigger you can imagine.

Russian toz35m, the gun shot many world records in international comp, single feed( no jamming)