• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Maggie’s Most Ridiculous Accuracy Claim You have Seen

Re: Most Ridiculous Accuracy Claim You have Seen

This has to be one of the most enjoyable threads on the Hide for me. After nearly 45 years of shooting and being around some damn fine shooters and the tales we've heard occasionally there is a few that are true which would be deemed impossible if it wasn't witnessed.

I'm sure we all have made that impossible shot with a BB gun long ago at some incredible distance or shooting a bird out of flight or lobbing a lil 22lr round across a big hollow and hitting a rock ya can barely see.

Some people just can't judge distances and that incredible shot keeps getting farther each time the tale gets told. Others like those that come into gun shops or brag at work like to be part of the "group" even if they have no idea everyone knows what they are sharing is beyond impossible.

That fella with the nice 3 shot group, that is a good group and one to be proud of. I'm not a group shooter myself but do love to ring steel farther than most people think my lil plinker will go. I guess I'm easier on other shooters than most, I'll listen to their tales and even if I know it was either one of the most incredibly lucky shots ever done or he may be a world class shooter but I won't insult them while they're telling it.

Great thread, very fun to read but we should enjoy it for just that, entertainment and try not to personally insult anyone wishing to join in and share one of their good days at the range.

Topstrap

dar said:
A guy I know told me when he was priare dog hunting with hiw 22-250 50gr factory ammo. He shot a sign and didn't know how far it was. SO him and his buddy drove to the sign and it was 3/4 mile to it. WTF I didn't agrue with him. Just told him nice shooting. What was the point.

That's possible how big was the sign? The bullet may even be supersonic at that distance.

I used to work with a guy who claimed he could shoot a 1" group at 100 yards with his smith and wesson XD40 (feel free to laugh) but he had to use two hands....I just walked away

of course he also owns a 1962 corvette split window with metal fenders and a factory 502...I called him out on it, he doesn't want to drive it because of how valuable it is.

that 502 must have been a factory custom option

Maybe not an accuracy claim but a dumb claim. Was out at my local range and a guy was talking to me and told me that "there is a gun that will erode the throat in 16 rounds and would need to be rebarreled after that" must have been a dumbass shooting larger caliber bullets in it then they were supposed to be shooting.

I guesss he was talking about the infamous flash cartridge. 50 BMG parent case improved by blowing out the body taper/shoulder and then necking it down to 17 cal. Fill the case to the max with your choice of pistol powder and let her rip!

I had a guy tell me he was too good for the Marines because he could already fight. He was too good for the Army because they were not tough enough. He told me up and down that he was the best shot around town. I asked him what his best shot was. He told me he shot a quarter at 100 yards with a .308 bolt action rifle, using a 12x power scope... I asked why not join something and go to Iraq, he stated that there wasn't enough money in it. I guess his $13 an hour job at a rent-a-center was too good...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Matthew Lundy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I guesss he was talking about the infamous flash cartridge. 50 BMG parent case improved by blowing out the body taper/shoulder and then necking it down to 17 cal. Fill the case to the max with your choice of pistol powder and let her rip! </div></div>

That sounds like it would work... wanna try it with me? You shoot it though and I'll stand back hundred yards lol

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Some_guy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I think people believe this stuff because they really don't know better and don't want to know. we all know atleast one, they go out shooting with a case a beer on the weekend and a 400ft shot becomes a 400m shot monday morning...because they think a meter = a foot and won't listen when you say 3.2. </div></div>

So would this be considered a Beer Meter?

Not technically a shot, but

Guy my dad works with, got tired of shooting deer "because it was too easy".

So he gets his Kabar out, and lays between 2 dead trees for "musta been 16 hours", a deer jumps over the 2 trees, and he stabs it in the chest.

True story, was a 16 point too haha

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ewoaf</div><div class="ubbcode-body">someone actually claimed this to me...no shit...ex army douche.
"i was a delta qualified sniper, not a delta sniper mind you, but I qualified to their standard. But anyhoo, when I was in Isreal serving with the IDF special forces snipers we were taking guys out at 5 miles away."

So I asked, with what?

" A .50 cal sniper rifle. Special ammo though that didn't use gunpowder. It's propellant was, well, pretty close to the same thing as c-4" </div></div>

HAHA DUDE.. Im in stitches over here!!! If you read it with a "matter of fact" redneck accent its fucking epic!!! YOU WIN..

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Shot In The Dark</div><div class="ubbcode-body">"several groups have measured 3" or less at 1000 yds"

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showgallery&Number=2207241 </div></div>

That ass clown sent me a PM saying something along the lines of "thanks for being a jackass and not believing in my 3" 1000 yd groups" I wish I had saved the message.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Savage110</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Shot In The Dark</div><div class="ubbcode-body">"several groups have measured 3" or less at 1000 yds"

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showgallery&Number=2207241 </div></div>

That ass clown sent me a PM saying something along the lines of "thanks for being a jackass and not believing in my 3" 1000 yd groups" I wish I had saved the message.
</div></div>

"Thats a 3 shot group after that it starts to wander."
laugh.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">HAHA DUDE.. Im in stitches over here!!! If you read it with a "matter of fact" redneck accent its fucking epic!!! YOU WIN </div></div>
Thats hilarious. But it is even funnier when I read it with a Yankee accent. I did not know rednecks had accents. To be Southern does not make one a redneck any more than being from the North makes one a smartass.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Savage110</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Shot In The Dark</div><div class="ubbcode-body">"several groups have measured 3" or less at 1000 yds"

</div></div>

Well it's not impossible, but it's better than anyone can do on this site.

Rem510group50yards.jpg

5 shot group @50 yards with Power Point 22LR ammo Rem510 single shot made in the 1940s.

The ridiculous claim is, "I could do that again."

I was told this one the other day from a friend. He said his co-worker told him that he shot a deer this year at 975 yards. Here is the load he was using and enviroment that he was in.

300 win mag with 180gr bullet at 3100fps

weather was cold with a 15 mph crosswind

He told my buddy that he held his reticle 2 1/2 feet for wind

Is any of this even plausible or is it another BS story

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pyplynr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I was told this one the other day from a friend. He said his co-worker told him that he shot a deer this year at 975 yards. Here is the load he was using and enviroment that he was in.

300 win mag with 180gr bullet at 3100fps

weather was cold with a 15 mph crosswind

He told my buddy that he held his reticle 2 1/2 feet for wind

Is any of this even plausible or is it another BS story </div></div>

I used 40 degrees and 2000' alt with a Matchking Sierra 180gr bullet.

975yrd
drop = 248.5" ~ 20feet
ft/sec = 1543.8 @ 975yrds
Wind drift (15mph 3:00) = 106" ~ 9 feet

He would have had to aim 20' high and 9 feet of windage.

So basically you buddy is totally full of shit

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Shot In The Dark</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Savage110</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Shot In The Dark</div><div class="ubbcode-body">"several groups have measured 3" or less at 1000 yds"

</div></div>Now Shot, Before you blast this guy you have to look at his tactical weapon,Pencil Thin Barrel,Factory Stock, High Scope Mounts, Why do you not believe??LOL 3" AT 100yd might be more like it.

Well it's not impossible, but it's better than anyone can do on this site and if you look at the rifle it makes it even more improbable. </div></div>

</div></div>

Seriously? Pot calling the kettle black! You sent me a PM about not being mean in threads..... lol

I had a guy (20yr old) tell me he could shoot 10 out of 10 lids of 20oz coke bottle at 500 yards with his 270 handi rifle and tasco scope. I just stood there amazed. I ask what load he used and he told me he didn't know but his uncle loaded them special for his rifle. I ask him what his drop was he told me 2 inches high was all that was needed. I bet him $100 a shot if he would show me. we have yet to go shooting or well even see him again.

Wow, some really good reading! I see alot of this over on the 24 hour campfire website as well.

It was not a claim on accuracy so much, but we were talking about accuracy. I had a retired 3rd SFG (CIF) SF soldier tell me that he shot 6,000 rounds a day out of their M9’s ‘every day’ while in the CIF.

This was probably one of the dumbest things I have ever heard a person with a BTDT background claim.

Although it may not be impossible with that rifle, it is certainly possible with certain rifles. As far as being better than anyone on this site can do (unless you meant using the same rifle that person used...LOL), do you actually know what every single person on this site can do?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tigerhawk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Although it may not be impossible with that rifle, it is certainly possible with certain rifles. As far as being better than anyone on this site can do (unless you meant using the same rifle that person used...LOL), do you actually know what every single person on this site can do? </div></div>

Dude.... Seriously?

Yes, there are a few rifles out there that can do that, though there are even fewer shooters who can. Of course, totally optimal environmental conditions usually provide the best chance of doing so, no matter what rifle is used, and I am not saying such groups would happen every time any particular shooter attempted to do so.

You did say "possible." You did not say "certain," or even probably."

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KYS338</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Savage110</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Shot In The Dark</div><div class="ubbcode-body">"several groups have measured 3" or less at 1000 yds"

</div></div>

Seriously? Pot calling the kettle black! You sent me a PM about not being mean in threads..... lol </div></div>

No I didnt. Please provide a screen pic.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Savage110</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KYS338</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Savage110</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Shot In The Dark</div><div class="ubbcode-body">"several groups have measured 3" or less at 1000 yds"

</div></div>

Seriously? Pot calling the kettle black! You sent me a PM about not being mean in threads..... lol </div></div>

No I didnt. Please provide a screen pic. </div></div>

Ummm, yes you did. Don't lie, its childish.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JAB</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It was not a claim on accuracy so much, but we were talking about accuracy. I had a retired 3rd SFG (CIF) SF soldier tell me that he shot 6,000 rounds a day out of their M9’s ‘every day’ while in the CIF.

This was probably one of the dumbest things I have ever heard a person with a BTDT background claim.
</div></div>

That's only a shot every five seconds for about 7.5 hours, every day. What's not to believe

I stopped by the Outpost Armory outside Murfreesboro, TN, this afternoon. I overheard one of the gunroom salesmen hawking a Barrett .50 to a customer, claiming you could miss a man by a foot from a mile and a half with the fifty and the concussion still would kill him.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Fred_C_Dobbs</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I stopped by the Outpost Armory outside Murfreesboro, TN, this afternoon. I overheard one of the gunroom salesmen hawking a Barrett .50 to a customer, claiming you could miss a man by a foot from a mile and a half with the fifty and the concussion still would kill him. </div></div>

HAHAHA that's horrible!

one word W.O.W---- now need to go clean my boots!!!

got a new one for yall, was at the range, shooting at the 600 yard plates, and finishing up some ammo testing, was doing great till i jerked the last shot of the group, waiting on my buddy to show up (different story for a different day).
well he gets there and we head to 200 yards so he can start some load development for his .308. as we are there this guy shows up with a ported savage in 7mm remington mag shows up. he asks how to get to shoot at 600 yards, so i tell him you have to shoot a 2MOA group at 300 yards. he says to me well where i hunt in Louisiana (we are in Houston by the way)it has pipelines runnign all over the place. he then tells me he shot a deer last season at 700 yards. so i am like right...
well we get to shooting and i overhear him talking to his buddy while they are shooting, "damn that is turning into a seriously good group!" i look over from my bench and see a 3 foot target with a 3 foot group on the page...i say "nice shooting" and the guy responds, "yep learned it in the marines we had to qualify with the m16 at 9000 yards, i qualified expert marksman."

I turned and walked away shaking my head

Wow 9000 yards....a little over 5 miles. were his groups at that range sub 1 MOA? Lol!!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: N0S</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Maybe not an accuracy claim but a dumb claim. Was out at my local range and a guy was talking to me and told me that "there is a gun that will erode the throat in 16 rounds and would need to be rebarreled after that" must have been a dumbass shooting larger caliber bullets in it then they were supposed to be shooting.</div></div>

Wonder if those were the loads with the c4?????? Those kind of pressures......

I went to the pistol range with my buddy and after a couple mags he sends the target to 15 yds and says "check out this double tap" he shoots and then brings the taret back with only one hole in the 8 ring. He looks down then back at the target shrugs his shoulders and says "must have gone through the same hole"

I promptly began laughing hysterically because he sincerely believed it.

Guy comes into Cabelas. Tells everyone he can hit prairie dogs at 900 yards with his open sighted AR15. I was wondering how he could see a prairie dog at that distance and how much of the target was obscured by the front sight?

Going to one up you all, and I am sure a good number of you heard it...

Joe Theismann saying he could throw a football 88 yards as old as he is, was a few years ago and yes, that tool was serious as Kristey Alley at a buffet.

It's funny how all the military men I meet were all special forces snipers....hardly any guys left to be cooks, and shit burners!
smile.gif

Catching up on this thread reminded me of a kid back in the day that claimed that he shot a smiley face on a 300m e-type military target at 300m with a bolt .270 offhand. This was many, many years ago when I would believe crap like that.

Nowadays my trips to the public range don't yield too much fruit. Seems that they don't tell too many tall tales when you don't look like a mall ninja like them. There's one guy that leaves quickly whenever I show up. It's always funny to hear him talk so much until I walk by and say 'hi'.

Branden

smiley face you say? done with a .38 at 15 on echo sillouhette, not as impressive, but i was pretty stoked

Photo0146.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dohnuts58</div><div class="ubbcode-body">smiley face you say? done with a .38 at 15 on echo sillouhette, not as impressive, but i was pretty stoked
</div></div>

Considerably more doable than a smiley face at 300m offhand.

Branden

BTW, good job. I sure as heck couldn't do that!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Fred_C_Dobbs</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: High Binder</div><div class="ubbcode-body">"several groups have measured 3" or less at 1000 yds"

FWIW, the IBS 10-shot heavy gun 1000-yard record is 2.815". </div></div>

WOW, After reading that thread I think the 3 is inches in the size of his dick and 1,000 yrds is how many chickens he has stuck it in.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shankster</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Fred_C_Dobbs</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: High Binder</div><div class="ubbcode-body">"several groups have measured 3" or less at 1000 yds"

FWIW, the IBS 10-shot heavy gun 1000-yard record is 2.815". </div></div>

WOW, After reading that thread I think the 3 is inches in the size of his dick and 1,000 yrds is how many chickens he has stuck it in. </div></div>

I think it's funny how he totally missed that I was making fun of him... Navy SEAL hahaha

What gets me is Every dick with a deer rifle and scope from WalMart says their stick will shoot groups you can cover with a dime!!

But when I go to the target stands and look at the targets left.....it's very rare to see a group <6".

I've just go to the point of ignoring Mr. Redneck guy when he tells me how stupid I am when my scope costs more than his pickup!
smile.gif

this goes against the grain a little, but last weekend some tool at the range couldn't put his 9mm carbine on paper with irons (and a laser of course) at 10y... in his camo pants, but was trying to teach his girfrend proper technique and sight alignment.

He also failed equally with his 1911, but through my muffs could hear him blaming his shitty ammo... must have been spin drift?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Aces&Eights</div><div class="ubbcode-body">this goes against the grain a little, but last weekend some tool at the range couldn't put his 9mm carbine on paper with irons (and a laser of course) at 10y... in his camo pants, but was trying to teach his girfrend proper technique and sight alignment.

He also failed equally with his 1911, but through my muffs could hear him blaming his shitty ammo... must have been spin drift? </div></div>

guy i work with bought a horrible tiny 9mm pistol. asked me to shoot it cuz he kept hitting way over the target. i shot it and was right on paper despite the required 2 finger hold.
2 days goes by and then at work he asks me to draw him what his sights should look like when he aims it. i did and then he draws what he was doing. he had been lining up yhe bottom of front sight with top of rear.
some newbs!