• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Maggie’s Most Ridiculous Accuracy Claim You have Seen

Re: Most Ridiculous Accuracy Claim You have Seen

This guy shows up at the running deer event at a local club with an old Browning auto shotgun, slug loads, just a bead sight. He's telling me he gets his deer every time, as they run past about 75 yds away in the apple orchard, just lead'em like a duck..... yass, yass. Then he puts one in the x ring, beating out 12 rifle shooters---about 75 yds away.

It ain't bragging if you can do it!

Had a buddy that swore his dad had a "2000 yard scope" on an AR-15, and they regularly shot pop cans at that distance with said rifle.

I tried to 'splain that they would have to hold the rifle at at least a 20* up angle to get the bullet to travel 2000 yards, but he wouldn't hear any of it...

My favorite thing to do on the tall tales is to look 'em in the eye and say very calmly "no you didn't". Proper execution of that is to turn and walk away, and strike up a conversation with the nearest person to you, it discourages argument.

Branden

I had a guy working the gun counter at Walmart tell me he took an antelope with a .270 at 1800 yards.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Witch Doctor</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> public ranges are like bowling, you gotta do it every once and awhile to remember why you don't do it. </div></div>

LMFAO! Too Funny!

my first post he he - ok i shot a 4x8 sheet of plywood painted blue placed in the middle of a field at 1000 yds from a hilltop armory with a .45 acp army issue fixed sites two separate reloads of 8 rounds with 2 bullets from each clip hitting the target.

i aimed at the target dead on then raised the muzzle where the rear site was about 1-1/2" from the back of the front site down on the slide keeping the front sight aligned vertically. i was missing the target 50-150 feet initially short. made very slight corrections and lobbed them in on target. the report was completely gone by the time the rounds hit the target - reminded me of throwing a rock sort of.

greetings everyone this is my claim believe it or not.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sof081979</div><div class="ubbcode-body">my first post he he - ok i shot a 4x8 sheet of plywood painted blue placed in the middle of a field at 1000 yds from a hilltop armory with a .45 acp army issue fixed sites two separate reloads of 8 rounds with 2 bullets from each clip hitting the target.

i aimed at the target dead on then raised the muzzle where the rear site was about 1-1/2" from the back of the front site down on the slide keeping the front sight aligned vertically. i was missing the target 50-150 feet initially short. made very slight corrections and lobbed them in on target. the report was completely gone by the time the rounds hit the target - reminded me of throwing a rock sort of.

greetings everyone this is my claim believe it or not. </div></div>

laugh.gif
You lost me at clips.

My previous class III dealer, once told me that," he loves shooting his subsonic ammo out of his .308 at pigs at 600 yards. That they never know what hit them." I asked him how many moa it took. His reaction was, "uh, uh, uh, like ten bro." Not really a accuracy claim, but funny. Also, his 40x Remington 700 was one of kind.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ewoaf</div><div class="ubbcode-body">someone actually claimed this to me...no shit...ex army douche.
"i was a delta qualified sniper, not a delta sniper mind you, but I qualified to their standard. But anyhoo, when I was in Isreal serving with the IDF special forces snipers we were taking guys out at 5 miles away."

So I asked, with what?

" A .50 cal sniper rifle. Special ammo though that didn't use gunpowder. It's propellant was, well, pretty close to the same thing as c-4" </div></div>

I almost pissed myself when I read that one. I would'a been rolling on the floor with the C4 propellant part, that has to be one of the greatest asshat claims of all times.

C4 propellant, I gotta use that someday when I want to impress a super secret squirrel delta SWAT ranger recon sniper.

And it's funny how some guys think this is a request for idiotic accuracy claims and throw their proverbial hat at the short bus.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sotexhunter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Also, his 40x Remington 700 was one of kind. </div></div>

Yeah my gun pimp(dealer) is always telling people that what ever they are looking at is getting harder to find. Even if it is an extremely common thing, and the funny part is most people are to stupid to know that he is just being a salesman.

I was crusing the site... when I should have been working and these are f..ing funny! I got a good chuckle out of some of these. Thanks fellas!

heard a couple new ones yesterday...
first off a guy at the office said he personally watched a game warden shoot a beaver at 1700 yards with a bone stock savage .243 first shot.

second was a "ex marine" (guy weighs about 400lbs at 35 yrs old) who could shoot dime size groups at any range with either an M16A2 or an M4. where do these people come up with this stuff

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: seaaggie</div><div class="ubbcode-body">where do these people come up with this stuff </div></div>

Same place that politicians get their "great ideas"....they pull 'em out of their butt.

Branden

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: seaaggie</div><div class="ubbcode-body">heard a couple new ones yesterday...
first off a guy at the office said he personally watched a game warden shoot a beaver at 1700 yards with a bone stock savage .243 first shot.

second was a "ex marine" (guy weighs about 400lbs at 35 yrs old) who could shoot dime size groups at any range with either an M16A2 or an M4. where do these people come up with this stuff </div></div>
Could see a beaver at 1700 yards, he must have good eyes too,,,,LOL

Not an accuracy claim so much as just a story of what 2 idiots did last fall. I work in a local hospital and the orthopedic surgeon was telling this story in the O.R. the week after it happened. He wasn't pleased because he had been called in for this case on a Saturday. Seems these two knuckle-heads were at a turkey shoot and at some point one of them bet the other that he could hold the target and not drop it while the other one shot it. So he gets behind a pine tree and holds the 2 by 6 block of wood the target was mounted on out from behind the tree. The other genius shot it with a 12 gauge and #9 shot. Distance was about 60 feet. Doc said the guy had over 50 pellets in his hand and wrist. I was so stunned I never asked if the guy had dropped the target on impact. Pretty sure he did. I assume alcohol was involved, maybe not. There are some dumb people out there.

After a guy telling me about his 800 yard elk shot with his 30-378 we went into the 100 yard underground (8') tube we shoot in. He said "damn, how far is that,a 1,000 yards?. I deducted his elk was 80 yards.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Quickdraw40</div><div class="ubbcode-body">After a guy telling me about his 800 yard elk shot with his 30-378 we went into the 100 yard underground (8') tube we shoot in. He said "damn, how far is that,a 1,000 yards?. I deducted his elk was 80 yards.</div></div>

You have a picture of this underground tube? I'd like to see what it looks like.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: palmik</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Quickdraw40</div><div class="ubbcode-body">After a guy telling me about his 800 yard elk shot with his 30-378 we went into the 100 yard underground (8') tube we shoot in. He said "damn, how far is that,a 1,000 yards?. I deducted his elk was 80 yards.</div></div>

You have a picture of this underground tube? I'd like to see what it looks like. </div></div>

I'm not a member of the range anymore, but I have a friend who is. I will see if he'll take a pic for me and I'll IM it to you.

Found this in a thread regarding SKS fans, although one did have quite a collection of various types etc...this following statement I KNEW had to go in this thread:
Re: Any SKS fans? I have owned about 7 of them,

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I couldn't agree more with the statements in this thread.

As for the choice between the SKS or the AK, I just picked up my first AK. I now have one of each. The SKS is a beautifully Milled Chinese vintage while the AK is a stamped Romanian work horse.

I paid $60 for my sks at a yard sale, had a jam on the first round because I had a build up of corrosion in the neck of the chamber but after cleaning it with a copper brush she shoots beautifully.

The AK I traded my $200 Llama 1911 for. Have put about 50 rounds down range with it and absolutely love it. I never thought I would find a gun easier to strip than the SKS, Until I cleaned my AK. The AK came with a PSL stock and It just makes me feel amazing when I take her to the range and every other bench is a M4 or AR variant but one by one they come over to check out the AK. They sit there on their Eotech scopes and bipods with floated barrels while I stand and throw groups just as tight as them with the AK or SKS. When they find out I have about $270 into both of my 7.62's they get all worked up and storm off.

Love it.

I usually help the long range liars out. I help make their claims more beleivable by pulling out my ballistic program on my phone and giving the actual dope for the unbelievable shot. Then later I giggle thinking about the look on the next guys face when he asks how much elevation and the liar snaps off 47.75MOA.

I love the guy who had a mill dot who said. zero at 100 and then each dot is the next hundred yards. Mine has 5 mill lower than the cross hairs so its good out to 500 yards. I should have told him to zero on the top dot so it would be good to a grand.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: palmik</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Quickdraw40</div><div class="ubbcode-body">After a guy telling me about his 800 yard elk shot with his 30-378 we went into the 100 yard underground (8') tube we shoot in. He said "damn, how far is that,a 1,000 yards?. I deducted his elk was 80 yards.</div></div>

You have a picture of this underground tube? I'd like to see what it looks like. </div></div>Our local gunsmith in town has this. Its just a pipe straight down in the ground.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RobertB</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: palmik</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Quickdraw40</div><div class="ubbcode-body">After a guy telling me about his 800 yard elk shot with his 30-378 we went into the 100 yard underground (8') tube we shoot in. He said "damn, how far is that,a 1,000 yards?. I deducted his elk was 80 yards.</div></div>

You have a picture of this underground tube? I'd like to see what it looks like. </div></div>Our local gunsmith in town has this. Its just a pipe straight down in the ground. </div></div>

Isn't that called a well?

The said 1000 yard killin coyotes shot which measures out to about 250 yards..... And he does it all the time with an AR-15 carbine with no scope...Trust me, he couldn't do it... I know him.
..................SmokeRolls

An auto mechanic/National Guardsman told me he consistantly hits a golf ball at 500 yards with an ar-15. no optics.

At the recent PHX gun show a dealer stated they were prototyping their AR platform at the range. There were 3 special ops types and having never fired the weapon before, now this is all 3 individuals mind you, picked up the weapon, and fired 5 rounds free hand @ 300 yards. All three individual groups were a half inch or less...

A friend told me a .50 cal is good to five miles, just gotta have the right optics. I told him to go roll another joint.

Had a gun dealer tell me he could empty 20 rounds of .308 into a torso at 100 yds through a hk91 clone in less than a second, offhand.

I think people believe this stuff because they really don't know better and don't want to know. we all know atleast one, they go out shooting with a case a beer on the weekend and a 400ft shot becomes a 400m shot monday morning...because they think a meter = a foot and won't listen when you say 3.2. OR

They have near psychotic self esteem problems. "mommas boyfriend beat me so now i have to feel like a bad ass all the time or i get scared and really unstable"

700yds from atop a hill with my leupold 3-9 and 243win - white tail.

i asked what the hold over was. He said I aimed for the spine and hit the heart dead center. LMAO

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 300WSM</div><div class="ubbcode-body">700yds from atop a hill with my leupold 3-9 and 243win - white tail.

i asked what the hold over was. He said I aimed for the spine and hit the heart dead center. LMAO </div></div>

With a good "dipshit flinch", this just might have worked.
grin.gif

Guy claimed he hit a praire dog at 2000 yards (measured). Then admited that it took 42 rounds to do it. I kind of figure maybe but would place any kind of a bet on it.

Talking to some coworkers about shooting steel (IPSC torso) at 700 yards (furthest our range goes out to). My subordinate than claims that he can hit it on his first shot with X-rifle (I forget what he said he had).

I asked him does he know how much holdover he needs, his reply was 7''

I told him that with my .308, it drops around 145'' at 700 yards. He just rolled his eyes and said whatever, I don't shoot that far, how would I know.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tt350z</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Talking to some coworkers about shooting steel (IPSC torso) at 700 yards (furthest our range goes out to). My subordinate than claims that he can hit it on his first shot with X-rifle (I forget what he said he had).

I told him that with my .308, it drops around 145'' at 700 yards. He just rolled his eyes and said whatever, I don't shoot that far, how would I know. </div></div>

Is he on crack?

Guy I know said he had an AR that could hit a quarter at 500 yards consistently - no optics.

Fortunately he's a really level headed, rational guy who knew I knew a bit more than him, so when I calmly explained why this is nearly impossible, he understood and actually absorbed the logic.

Guys like that are worth explaining to. The other type? Not so much
smile.gif
. Sure can be fun though at times!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mr blasty</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tt350z</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Talking to some coworkers about shooting steel (IPSC torso) at 700 yards (furthest our range goes out to). My subordinate than claims that he can hit it on his first shot with X-rifle (I forget what he said he had).

I told him that with my .308, it drops around 145'' at 700 yards. He just rolled his eyes and said whatever, I don't shoot that far, how would I know. </div></div>

Is he on crack? </div></div>

Who knows. He's one of those guys that always has something to bitch/gripe/complain about.

He even bitched about how expensive his ECU for his F150 was, something like $1500 for the repair bill, $800 plane ticket home. Both of which were paid for by his parents AND the truck was his Basic grad gift.

Some peoples children...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tt350z</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mr blasty</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tt350z</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Talking to some coworkers about shooting steel (IPSC torso) at 700 yards (furthest our range goes out to). My subordinate than claims that he can hit it on his first shot with X-rifle (I forget what he said he had).

Who knows. He's one of those guys that always has something to bitch/gripe/complain about.

He even bitched about how expensive his ECU for his F150 was, something like $1500 for the repair bill, $800 plane ticket home. Both of which were paid for by his parents AND the truck was his Basic grad gift.

Some peoples children... </div></div>

You'd think the military would be able to humble his spoiled brat ass a bit but some are just to freaking dense.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mr blasty</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tt350z</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mr blasty</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tt350z</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Talking to some coworkers about shooting steel (IPSC torso) at 700 yards (furthest our range goes out to). My subordinate than claims that he can hit it on his first shot with X-rifle (I forget what he said he had).

Some peoples children... </div></div>

You'd think the military would be able to humble his spoiled brat ass a bit but some are just to freaking dense. </div></div>

Agreed. Especially with the downsizing going on.

Same kid bitches about how much it sucks up here (work here is such a slow pace compared to a fighter base) and wants to palace chase or get out to go back home. Must be difficult not having mommy and daddy hold your hand.

I think we have it easy being in aircraft maint. People bitch about working 12's over the weekend, etc. Yea, we all bitch to a certain extent, just gotta know that after the first 2 minutes, it gets old and nothings gonna change. I could be over there in the desert getting shot/blown up (hats off to the men and women over there). But instead I get to go home and sleep in my own bed when the day's over. Only thing on the roadside I have to worry about is a deer jumping in front of me vs an IED.

Heck our "deployment" is going to Guam for 6 months (scuba diving anyone?).

People need to mature/grow the F up and look at the big picture.

Ok I'm done venting. Happy Shooting!

I know a local farmer around here that told me he missed a coyote at 100 yards on the first shot, 150 yards on the second shot, and 300 yards on the third shot with his remington 700 with a 3x9x44 leupold then realized he was out of bullets, in a panic he spotted a 357 magnum shell matted with mud laying in the floorboard of his truck and by the time he got it cleaned off and loaded up in his 4" smith and wesson model 19 the coyote was just about to cross the half mile fence line, he drew down on him and hit him in the head right as he was ducking under the fence, I hate to call him a liar, but im about as apt to believe that the coyote was just having a shitty day and it was his turn to die, or he got struck by lightening.

.357 at a half mile out of a 4" barrel and hitting a moving target the size of a coyote...

You win.

same farmer told me that he passed a semi and the turbulance sucked his dog out of the back of his pickup while headed to the sale barn, said when he looked back that his dog was about 5 feet under the highline wire, said he just knew the damn dog was dead so he didn't even stop to check on him, said the dog was waiting for him on the front porch at his house, (about 20 miles from where he lost the dog) wagging his tail, not so much as a scratch on him, This farmer has the luckiest shot and the luckiest dog I've ever heard of hands down

That's awesome rifleman, Imagine what kind of crazy stories he tells when he's been drinking. LOL.

whats funny about this is the fact that he told this story at the cafe with about 8 guys sitting around the table, and then wonders why everyone thinks hes full of shit

Ask the farm if the coyote had an abnormally large head. I'm talking like frankenstein sized head...... I call BS on both his stories.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rifleman1981</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> 4" smith and wesson model 19 the coyote was just about to cross the half mile fence line, he drew down on him and hit him in the head </div></div>

Trajectory for Federal Cartridge .357 dia. 357 Mag. 158 gr. American Eagle JSP at 1240 Feet per Second

900yd

616.0FPS

133.1ft/Lbs

1664.82inch/drop (138.7ft)

176.6MOA drop

3.35 seconds flight time

Patronizing inbred farmers; priceless.

I think a large majority of people do not know yards from feet. I run into this A LOT when talking to older men especially. I was g-hog hunting with a friend of mines grandfather-inlaw a couple weeks back when I spotted a hog just over 300 yards out. I dialed in the ele I knew I needed for that distance and load and nailed the hog right where I aimed. nothing unusual or spectacular about the shot but you would have thought I nailed it in the eye at 1500 yards the way the guy reacted. He said "holy crap, that's the longest shot I've ever seen. That has to be at least 800 yards, probably more" I admit it made my head swell a little, but the rangefinder doesn't lie.

He hunts with a 22 mag and at that point I understood what he meant when he told me earlier that he shoots hogs out to 350 yards with it regularly, with a 3x scope no less. I let him range targets with my rangefinder the rest of the day and his perception of range changed dramatically, at least he could admit when he was wrong.

One story I heard awhile back came from a local guy that is known for bullshitting, but this one went a little far even for him.

He claims he was archery hunting one morning and while climbing into his stand he dropped his bow from about 25 feet. He climbed back down and got it then got back into position just in time to see a nice buck come walking into view about 30 yards in front of him. He knocked an arrow and noticed it was slightly bent when he drew it but figured it would be fine. He released the arrow and to his disappointment he missed the buck as the arrow curved quite dramatically the the left, so much so apparently that it actually went around behind him and he heard it hit something. He stood up and leaned around the tree to see a ten point buck laying dead with his arrow sticking out of its eye socket.....

So here we have an arrow shot from a bow that makes about a 280 degree turn and hits a random deer in the eye socket, all the while dodging the numerous trees and branches that are normally found in a forest. Oh and it wasnt just any deer, it was a trophy sized ten point. That is one hell of a shot imo.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bucksquirelly</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> <span style="font-weight: bold">I think a large majority of people do not know yards from feet.</span> <span style="font-weight: bold"> I spotted a hog just over 300 yards out. I dialed in the ele I knew I needed for that distance and load and nailed the hog right where I aimed. nothing unusual or spectacular about the shot but you would have thought I nailed it in the eye at 1500 yards the way the guy reacted. He said "holy crap, that's the longest shot I've ever seen. That has to be at least 800 yards, probably more" I admit it made my head swell a little, but the rangefinder doesn't lie.

He hunts with a 22 mag and at that point I understood what he meant when he told me earlier that he shoots hogs out to 350 yards with it regularly, with a 3x scope no less. I let him range targets with my rangefinder the rest of the day and his perception of range changed dramatically, at least he could admit when he was wrong. </span>
</div></div>

Great post. I see it at the 1,000 yard steel target range I go to every time.

I hit a mosquito with a blowgun dart at 950 yards. My holdover was about 4 inches