• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Mother load muzzel brake testing

Bubb

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 18, 2007
Pa, York co. Dover
Did you watch the test videos at the bottom? Very impressive testing... I would love to see a bunch of the us big name brakes sent over for testing just to see where they rank.. Just neat stuff

brakes

I saw some claims but I didn't see any test data.
I saw a test on popular 3-gun brakes where a laser and rolling base provided muzzle movement and rearward movement.
It's fun to make your own though.
Some work great some work OK.
It's gets really cool when you get into 5 port brakes.

I have a .300 WSM that Chad Dixon rebuilt. I call it the mule, he flat out called it one of the most abusive rifles he's ever had the displeasure of shooting. I think she'll be wearing a new QuatroMax break in the very near future. If I could get 73% or more reduction in recoil that rifle, it would go from being a mule to a pussy cat! Thanks for the link!

Last edited:
It is nice they did such detailed dissection but they also missed some important points.
Muzzle brake testing has been done extensively and the fundamentals is what the military has known for over a century.
If they tested a badger, AI the Hollands quick discharge or even an affordable PRI you would see they perform just as theirs.
Also no mention how changes and designs affect accuracy potential because some brakes do, even expensive ones. And not just change in POI that is expected but radical
change in behaviour due to the impact of internal dimensions.
The above designs seem to comply with well known and fundamental directives to effectively reduce recoil so no surprise there.

Last edited:
It is nice they did such detailed dissection but they also missed some important points.
Muzzle brake testing has been done extensively and the fundamentals is what the military has known for over a century.
If they tested a badger, AI the Hollands quick discharge or even an affordable PRI you would see they perform just as theirs.
Also no mention how changes and designs affect accuracy potential because some brakes do, even expensive ones. And not just change in POI that is expected but radical
change in behaviour due to the impact of internal dimensions.
The above designs seem to comply with well known and fundamental directives to effectively reduce recoil so no surprise there.

He did test the Holland quick discharge??? And why would he need to tell you why and for what reason PoI occurs? He said it doesn't occurs on his on off brakes??? Are you thinking he is going to test a brake and tell you how to make it better? He did his homework and has a line of brakes that preform better than most? Send him your 5 ports of they are all same caliber, and tread pitch he would test them?.. I'm getting one of the on off brakes from him.

Fast shooter go to the link. Go to bottom of his page, watch his videos? If you don't take something from that I wouldn't see how you could tell right threads from left??

I have been cutting my own brakes, analyzing and testing them for over 20 years. dozens of different designs.
Built a measuring setup simplier than the one in the video but actually measured recoil impulse quite accurately.
We also took high speed footage and analyzed it carefully including surrounding pressure are, special attention was to minimize footprint when firing.
We learned a few things but nothing drastically new than others have not done many times before.
There are several brakes that perform very well and they all follow the same directives and simple patterns.
There are popular and even expensive brakes (including tacticool) that also screw up the accuracy potential of the system due to the choosing of internal dimensions.
So not just perceived recoil or change in POI but actual the impact on the accuracy potential is important to test. Often ignored and the most important factor after-all.

Call_me_E. what are the types of brakes you tested? What have you found to be the most effective design with the greatest accuracy potential?

Jeff dont overlook the Vias muzzle brake. While I only have 6 rifles with brakes on them the Vias is far and away the best, makes my 300 WM recoil like pleasure to shoot.

I can say I've had a visa brake and they do work well! It was on a 300 win mag. But I'm thinking that design has be outperformed by both port and baffle design brakes

I can say I've had a visa brake and they do work well! It was on a 300 win mag. But I'm thinking that design has be outperformed by both port and baffle design brakes

I had considered the Vais brake in the past. I don't shoot my .300 WSM very much as it is truly abusive when you pull the trigger. Very few people who own bigger boomers want to shoot the .300 a second or 3rd round, but it is a tac driver. As I was telling my bubby about this video, the Vais was the worst performing of all the brakes tested and only reduced recoil by 50% on both rifle tests, the QuatroMax averaged 74% between the two different rifles tested. If I was to shoot and test Vias and QuatroMax brakes could I actually notice a difference...highly likely. Could I tell the difference between the TresaMax brake at 69% and the QuatroMax at 74% reduction in recoil, I don't know, maybe alittle?. Still I think the QuatroMax would be a good fit and design match for my lightweight #3 barrel on my .300 WSM. At $127.00 US it's not a bad price for the QuatroMax not to mention I won't be using the .300 until next hunting season so time is on my side.

I'm not sure how much more percentage wise you could reduce the recoil over say 75% with a conventional small form functional muzzle brake like the Quatro. Heck even their MegaMax was only about 1% or so over the QuatroMax on the same two test rifles. I think it would be interesting test and measure how much suppressors reduce the recoil.

I have been cutting my own brakes, analyzing and testing them for over 20 years. dozens of different designs.
Built a measuring setup simpler than the one in the video but actually measured recoil impulse quite accurately.
We also took high speed footage and analyzed it carefully including surrounding pressure are, special attention was to minimize footprint when firing.
We learned a few things but nothing drastically new than others have not done many times before.

Call-Me_E,

It would be nice since you have a complete testing setup if you would make a video on the effectiveness of your brakes verses the other brakes on the market. Going back to my question I asked above, out of all the testing and brakes you measured, is it possible to achieve much more than 75% recoil reduction on a conventional small form functional muzzle brake. Also, you bring up a great point as you actually were able to measure the recoil impulse quite accurately. I'm sure this has a lot more to do with the overall recoil we feel when we pull the trigger. I'm not calling you out on this only searching for answers. Help change my mind, show me what yours can do and show us how you measured the recoil pulse.

Last edited:
Jeff I did ask about the testing that was done and not being able to fully see the test fixture and counter weight? He assured me all things where equal during his testing? As getting below 75% you could do a mercury tube in the stock. If that yeilds only 10% your at 85% then you could add weight? I couldn't see how at 75% you couldn't see impact? As you saw his line of brakes out performed the Holland which was made soulily to see impact?.. And keep dust blast down. But in one of the videos he did shoot off the ground and it wasn't bad... As soon as I get a Paypal account set I'm going to get one. But as per above comments I'd love to see testing of more brakes.. There just isn't a base to judge off of. You gotta take there word?? And everything is on different calibers, weight rigs... You just can never truly compare. Theses videos and testing was the first and best testing I have ever seen keeping all things equal.

I had considered the Vais brake in the past. I don't shoot my .300 WSM very much as it is truly abusive when you pull the trigger. Very few people who own bigger boomers want to shoot the .300 a second or 3rd round, but it is a tac driver. As I was telling my bubby about this video, the Vais was the worst performing of all the brakes tested and only reduced recoil by 50% on both rifle tests, the QuatroMax averaged 74% between the two different rifles tested. If I was to shoot and test Vias and QuatroMax brakes could I actually notice a difference...highly likely. Could I tell the difference between the TresaMax brake at 69% and the QuatroMax at 74% reduction in recoil, I don't know, maybe alittle?. Still I think the QuatroMax would be a good fit and design match for my lightweight #3 barrel on my .300 WSM. At $127.00 US it's not a bad price for the QuatroMax not to mention I won't be using the .300 until next hunting season so time is on my side.

I'm not sure how much more percentage wise you could reduce the recoil over say 75% with a conventional small form functional muzzle brake like the Quatro. Heck even their MegaMax was only about 1% or so over the QuatroMax on the same two test rifles. I think it would be interesting test and measure how much suppressors reduce the recoil.

Call-Me_E,

It would be nice since you have a complete testing setup if you would make a video on the effectiveness of your brakes verses the other brakes on the market. Going back to my question I asked above, out of all the testing and brakes you measured, is it possible to achieve much more than 75% recoil reduction on a conventional small form functional muzzle brake. Also, you bring up a great point as you actually were able to measure the recoil impulse quite accurately. I'm sure this has a lot more to do with the overall recoil we feel when we pull the trigger. I'm not calling you out on this only searching for answers. Help change my mind, show me what yours can do and show us how you measured the recoil pulse.

Would love to see any testing of American brakes that testing is done on same caliber, barrel keeping all things equal. Those brakes kind of spanked the Holland which is totted as on of the best? It was built to see impact while hunting?? I'm impressed with these brakes. I'd need to see as good of test to change that. Might be able to get same results but I don't think so?

Hi Jason,

The Paypal thing is easy to sign up for and free. Shouldn't take you long to get that sorted out.

I have sent a few of the Quatromax brakes to the US, but can't recall if I have sent any of the Varimax-QC to the states yet. I did send one to Canada a couple of weeks ago though. I haven't really pushed hard for a US distributor yet as I have been struggling to keep up with demand here until our new CNC lathe arrived. Just getting on top of things now. I did have a preliminary chat with Brownells earlier in the year, but will have to follow up with them again soon.

Do you have a link to that thread on the Sniper's hide forum? I'm assuming the comments you refer to are on there, as there is not much on the YouTube comments section for my vids.

For the record, the same weight system was used for all of the tests where the same rifle/ammo combo was used. Also ensured that bore hole through the brakes was the same for either of the 7mm and 30cal tests.
There was no monkey-business with the tests, and you can quote me on that for the forum guys if you want. There is already enough bull-shit and con-men in the gun industry without me adding to that! My only interest is in providing great products and services, and ensuring that guys are happy with what they have purchased from me. If there is ever any valid problem, I will sort it out. Period!

Feel free to copy and paste that to the site for the benefit of the 'doubters' if you wish.

Anyhow, let me know when you are good to go with Paypal and I'll get an invoice sorted out for you.

Have a good weekend.

Regards,

Dean.

Fast shooter go to the link. Go to bottom of his page, watch his videos? If you don't take something from that I wouldn't see how you could tell right threads from left??

Sorry Bubb didn't notice the videos. I looked for a test link on the side and scrolled down a ways but not to the bottom obviously. I am new so my post was delayed(didn't see your watch video post)
I would suggest they add a link on the side to get a little more action from people w ADD.
I did watch some of them now. No doubt a good comparative test. No doubt very effective brakes.
I'm sure they are high quality and all that but I would think you can get stuff just as good here except for maybe the on/off model.
I counted 50 muzzlebrakes on the Brownells website. I'm sure some of them are model specific but:
Muzzle Brakes | Barrel Parts at Brownells
And that's just Brownells.....
As far as reduction goes it will depend on how much muzzle blast you're willing to deal with and how big a brake you want to deal with. As Jeff was thinking you might not be able to get past a certain point of reduction.
As for the Holland (quick discharge?)...that's just a copy w a few top holes of the ol Miculek comp that we used to get for $30. The 3 port brake they(D.F.) show is almost exactly the same as the ol Miculek comp.
One of the most effective brakes I purchased in the mid 90's called a "Master Blaster". It has a fish gill design and punishes anyone around the shooter but damn does it work.
More ports is usually better but in the same length more ports mean thinner wall which means less life-not a problem in a hunting rifle but something that sees a lot of ammo will erode quicker.
As a side note their testing fixture does not tell them how much muzzle movement and in what direction. That does not matter for hunting I guess but for Tact/Comp you want something that stays on target.
I applaud D.F. for their efforts and I too wish that there was more testing done and posted here in the US.

As an old man eligible for medicare and with a painful right shoulder, I have spent a lot of time researching muzzle brakes. As an engineer there are basic principles that govern muzzle brake performance.

First off if it isn't loud it isn't working as well as a loud one.
Second a brake that pushes the gasses backwards will work better than one that lets the gasses expand radially (Vais) or forwards.

"Muzzle brake testing has been done extensively and the fundamentals is what the military has known for over a century", note you wont see tanks and artillery pieces with a brake that looks like a Vais or Weatherby Accubrake.

I just ordered a JP Enterprises recoil Eliminator brake, guess what it looks like?

Here is a great article on brakes
Muzzle Brakes