• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Maggie’s Motivational Pic Thread v2.0 - - New Rules - See Post #1

Congratulations.jpg

Just in case anyone here needs some of these. They are high quality, USDA certified and inverted. Yum, Yum.

10386749_10152190605874013_2544991822758019389_n.jpg

Just in case anyone here needs some of these. They are high quality, USDA certified and inverted. Yum, Yum.

10386749_10152190605874013_2544991822758019389_n.jpg

At the pork processing plant I worked at, they 'did' 10,000 hogs a day. Thankfully, I was in the maintenance crew. Seeing the 'team' that had to process 10 g's of these, every day. Every week.

Every month.

That was their job, that is what they got hired for, and the only place to go in the plant was UP from there. Makes all those who complain about sweeping floors look like quite the idiots, doesn't it?

And for the record, all of that product that we 'produced' (of that sort) was shipped over to China and Japan. Kinda makes you 're-think' any "pork treat/sausage" that has a "made in china" label, eh?

Like you, I was inspired by the first version. Which, sadly, I watched on a black and white Television on public television in New England. I never saw it in color until I got the DVD set... in 2005. Sagan's original was timeless... brilliant. I found the Degrasse-Tyson remake to be contrived and rather pathetic. The original DVD series is something everyone should watch, especially now that it has been re-made in HD. It's amazing on a large TV. Unfortunately, Degrasse Tyson not only doesn't pull it off, but went off on a political bent that Carl Sagan could get away with... but Degrasse Tyson fell flat on. Sagan, undoubtedly, went political with his Nuclear Winter diatribes and his Nuclear Freeze Movement participation. But he did it under the umbrella of an utterly ground-breaking series.

His politics aside... Sagan's series was brilliant and inspired more kids than you can count. Oh... and he was a genuine scientist who made some real contributions to the Voyager missions and to deep space exploration in the 1970's. His swan song was Contact. A neat movie... a better book. He ended up a 'pop' scientist. But he earned his stripes.

Other similar series worth watching... Stephan Hawking's Universe (c. mid 1990's) and, though I am not much of an adherent to String Theory (String religion?), Brian Greene's Elegant Universe DVD's are great.

Thanks for posting P&P! Sagan motivated me to learn... and learn and learn and learn. Guess that's a legacy worth having!

Cheers,

Sirhr

I read the book Cosmos when I was 11. It'll make you think.

I also read Contact in the late '80s as a college freshman. That book was frickin' awesome! The movie didn't capture the book at all.

I too am disappointed by the modern Cosmos show. It seems so slow-paced and dumbed-down for the masses. Well, it is on Fox...

Last edited: