• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Maggie’s Motivational Pic Thread v2.0 - - New Rules - See Post #1

1629886898773.png

If you've never looked at the math of the decibel, it's worth a close look. 140dB is a total motherfucker for anything like a static noise level. (as opposed to something like a gun shot - a jet taking off is closer to static, especially for the crew in the jet. The difference between 140 and 200 is way beyond huge because the SPL scale is not linear. It's logarithmic. If you don't know logs, just realize that the base 10 log of the number 1 is 0, the log of 10 is 1 and the log of 100 is 2. So it's an exponential way of showing numbers that vary by large, huge differences.

200 dB would blend tissue in close proximity. Dead, not just deaf. 140 dB causes strong pain in a healthy ear. I think an unsuppressed 338 LM at 3 feet from the muzzle is something like 150 or 160 dB. When a person is too close to a 50 BMG unsuppressed, their sinus tissue tears and the brain gets bruised.

What? Speak up, I cunt hear you!!!

---------------

Speaking of cunts, Wikipedia is full of them but they have a reasonable discussion of SPL:

A tad late to the show, but a proper rocket motor is pretty loud. Wasn't it something like 150 million hp at launch, even if you can't measure the power that way actually.
One of the loudest sounds ever recorded was NASA's Saturn V rocket, which registered 204 decibels.

What would have been interesting is the nuclear rocket.... Those are nasty... They even got them working toward the end.

A tad late to the show, but a proper rocket motor is pretty loud. Wasn't it something like 150 million hp at launch, even if you can't measure the power that way actually.
Either way they're still cool. It also got about 5.1inches per gallon for the first stage.

Also reminds me of this.
m.xkcd.com/1133

up_goer_five_2x.png

Either way they're still cool. It also got about 5.1inches per gallon for the first stage.

Also reminds me of this.
m.xkcd.com/1133

View attachment 7691229
I like the two sentences at the very bottom...LOL

The F-1 rocket engine is still a modern wonder — one and a half million pounds of thrust, 32 million horsepower, and burning 6,000 pounds of rocket grade kerosene and liquid oxygen every second.

That's each rocket engine and there were 5 engines on the Saturn rockets. SO that's a total of 160,000,000 horsepower, 7,500,000 pounds of thrust (3401942kg)

Last edited:
Reactions: ReimoS and Cm250