• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Maggie’s Motivational Pic Thread v2.0 - - New Rules - See Post #1

FXFixsa.png

GLARING historical inaccuracy spotted in the History Channel drama 'Vikings'.

King Aethelwulf's Anglo Saxon army vs. 'The Great Heathen Army' led by Ivar the Boneless. 800s AD. Those helmets worn by Aethelwulf's soldiers are pikemens' and musketeers' "pots". They would not come about until the mid-late 1600s. 19th century paintings of the Salem Witch Trials and the founding of Plymouth and Roanoke Colonies showed soldiers wearing these types of helmets, which evolved from the earlier comb morion to add a flared backpiece giving the wearer more protection around the sides of the face and the neck from rapier and saber blows. They were worn with a cuirass and ammunition bandolier for a matchlock or wheel lock arquebus. The helmets during Aethelwulf's time would only be either a conical helmet with a nasal guard and a mail coif, or just a plain rounded steel cap with or without the coif. How did this get by the editing teams?
smiley_freak.gif

EXACTLY! Arquebusier's pots being worn in Anglo Saxon England... Oh by the way, does anybody realize that "The History Channel" is shortened to "THC"? 😂 These fellas need to keep taking hits on the 'special' vape and stick to cryptids, crashed alien ships on the Moon, and "SpaceX actually has a working hyperdrive engine" and all that...

By the way I LOVE that movie that scene is from. The Tercios were literally the premier PMCs of their day...

Last edited:
Just looks like they're creating a firebreak for a back burn. Done all the time, unfortunately they do sometimes get out of hand and add to the problem.
The point of that (I think) is that a lot of "wild fires" are started as arson...look at the mess in Canada, lots of arson involved. Also, if they don't do a very good job managing the forests and let them get overgrown which is just wildfire in waiting.

The point of that (I think) is that a lot of "wild fires" are started as arson...look at the mess in Canada, lots of arson involved. Also, if they don't do a very good job managing the forests and let them get overgrown which is just wildfire in waiting.
The 1st Sandy Eggo fire that engulfed most of the county was started cause some guy got lost and started a 'signal fire.'

Not arson, but the effect was the same

Wasn't there for the 2nd...

M

A lot of that stuff in Canada is black spruce. It has to burn to reproduce. They know it. Unfortunately their forest management is on par with the rest of the government. During the right time of year prescribed fire can be used to lower wildfire risk. It can be risky.