• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Maggie’s Motivational Pic Thread v2.0 - - New Rules - See Post #1

1697329571979.png

Our midwife didn't make it in time when our last one was born. I got the crash course and some on the fly coaching over the phone. Wild experience. I'll definitely never forget it lol.

I trust your delivery went well. A ton of stuff could go wrong (Prolapsed Cord, Breech presentation, Shoulder Distocia, etc. etc). All of those can be life threatening to both Mom and child alike and require immediate EMS action.

All joking aside I never understand the midwife at home idea

It’s not 1880 anymore

There are hospitals with technology and staff that can do amazing things with a problematic birth or unhealthy baby.

Yet people chose to not use what’s available.

I actually think it’s negligence on part of the parents.

• Haha
Reactions: powdahound76

It’s not 1880 anymore

There are hospitals with technology and staff that can do amazing things with a problematic birth or unhealthy baby.

As it turns out, when I was doing L & D time as a PIT, there were several "Nurse / Midwife" types that would assist the OBGYN. They could actually do "epiziotomies" and clean up suturing if the perineum got torn, etc. The OBGYN was there only for the actual delivery itself. (i.e. Station +1 and beyond), or if there were any of the complications I mentioned above, potentially necessitating a "C-section." And the chief L & D resident would be the one doing that.

Last edited:
Reactions: lash and brianf
I trust your delivery went well. A ton of stuff could go wrong (Prolapsed Cord, Breech presentation, Shoulder Distocia, etc. etc). All of those can be life threatening to both Mom and child alike and require immediate EMS action.
Yes everything was well. Healthy happy 9lb 8oz baby girl. Our second child.

Our first was also with a midwife but at a birthing center like two blocks away from the Houston medical center. My wife wanted to have the first one at home also but I'm not going to lie, it made me a little nervous. We opted for the birthing center being that it was our first one, and if something was to go wrong, we were right there.

My only regret with the first was that I didn't ask the midwife if I could deliver/receive him. Didn't have to ask with the second one. Lol.

It’s not 1880 anymore

My brother was a home birth. Several other family members. It's not like we went into this blind. There were Ultra sounds done to make sure everything was going as it should. My wife was closely monitored by the midwives in the last few weeks leading up to the birth.

I agree, the stuff they can do in some hospitals now is nothing short of amazing. You also surrender just about any rights you have to that child to have your child there. There's a reason people hire Doula's to beat the hospital staff back in some situations.

Hospitals to me can be overly pushy on some things and it just wasn't for us. My only experiences with hospitals in my 36 short years here have been visiting with someone right before they die, so I associate hospitals with death. To me, thats where you go to die.

I was born in a hospital and it was not a good experience. I don't remember it obviously but it wasn't enjoyable according to my parents. My mother had one both ways, she said the midwife, hands down, was the better experience.

It’s not 1880 anymore

Retired anesthesiologist here. Lived in hospitals for what seems like forever--think of them as a small city. Too many life/organ-saving capabilities to mention. Scary and intimidating place for non-medical people, especially when associated with bad outcomes, even when expected. A facility with on-site Ob/Gyn and midwives, and solid risk management, offers the best.

Our first was also with a midwife but at a birthing center like two blocks away from the Houston medical center. My wife wanted to have the first one at home also but I'm not going to lie, it made me a little nervous. We opted for the birthing center being that it was our first one, and if something was to go wrong, we were right there.

My only regret with the first was that I didn't ask the midwife if I could deliver/receive him. Didn't have to ask with the second one. Lol.

My brother was a home birth. Several other family members. It's not like we went into this blind. There were Ultra sounds done to make sure everything was going as it should. My wife was closely monitored by the midwives in the last few weeks leading up to the birth.

I agree, the stuff they can do in some hospitals now is nothing short of amazing. You also surrender just about any rights you have to that child to have your child there. There's a reason people hire Doula's to beat the hospital staff back in some situations.

Hospitals to me can be overly pushy on some things and it just wasn't for us. My only experiences with hospitals in my 36 short years here have been visiting with someone right before they die, so I associate hospitals with death. To me, thats where you go to die.

I was born in a hospital and it was not a good experience. I don't remember it obviously but it wasn't enjoyable according to my parents. My mother had one both ways, she said the midwife, hands down, was the better experience.
It’s when you get into complications that you really need that hospital. Nuchal cord, preeclampsia, etc. sounds like you were on top of it though so good on you.

I live next to one of the original forts in Texas. Along with a fort comes several graveyards. It is shocking in todays terms how many children died. In one case there is a husband and wife, along with multiple sons who were either stillborn or died shortly thereafter. I cannot imagine the grief of the couple, the shame of the wife and the spiritual questioning that occurred by them. I look at those graves with very simple headstones from WAY back in the day and can’t help but think of the sadness and fear of each new pregnancy. My county is full of graves with stories like this. Or children mutilated by Indians.

Last edited:
It’s when you get into complications that you really need that hospital. Nuchal cord, preeclampsia, etc. sounds like you were on top of it though so good on you.

I live next to one of the original forts in Texas. Along with a fort comes several graveyards. It is shocking in todays terms how many children died. In one case there is a husband and wife, along with multiple sons who were eye other stillborn or died shortly thereafter. I cannot imagine the grief of the couple, the shame of the wife and the spiritual questioning that occurred by them. I look at those graves with very simple headstones from WAY back in the day and can’t help but think of the sadness and fear of each new pregnancy. My county is full of graves with stories like this. Or children mutilated by Indians.
My mothers grandfather from Ireland would tell her that they wouldn’t even name babies until a week or so after because so many would die early

Reactions: fx77 and lash

Did you eat the placenta………..it’s a thing you know……