• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Maggie’s Motivational Pic Thread v2.0 - - New Rules - See Post #1

Funny part is that I had a TEAC CD player in 1985…. So yeah, I’m feeling old..

Not to mention that I’m a computer guy and I had a TRS 80 – model 1, and the first IBM PC that came out, let alone the keypro and the Osbornes…. So I had a computer for the very beginning…

And I work with a bunch of people who have no idea what I’m talking about, but always ask “ how do you know that?”

Reactions: Barneybdb
That one looks dangerous
1692021551115.gif

Funny part is that I had a TEAC CD player in 1985…. So yeah, I’m feeling old..

Not to mention that I’m a computer guy and I had a TRS 80 – model 1, and the first IBM PC that came out, let alone the keypro and the Osbornes…. So I had a computer for the very beginning…

And I work with a bunch of people who have no idea what I’m talking about, but always ask “ how do you know that?”
I still have my discman (from Sony!) I got in Basic in 88. Its in it's box over my left shoulder.

High tech stuff back then.

My Dad got a TRS-80 when I was in HS. Quickly determined that programming more than 10 color = blue 20 go to 10 was for the pocket protector set and ignored it till college. Then the engineering students had to buy the IBM 'portable' computer with the 5 1/4" floppies and the monocolor ~5" monitor. Watched those guys lug around a suitcase on campus. ...and VA Tech ain't small!

The computer science types had it easier. They had to buy a Macintosh. Still black and white, but they didn't have to lug em around.

M

Ready to go out on Saturday night

Ol' Reliable.

View attachment 8203372

Imagine being a peasant trying to rob someone with my outstanding hairstyle and getting blasted by an FN from 1943. Fuck off.

Stay classy.

Better be careful shooting someone with that. If they find out, they might get mad about it.

Here's what you need. Ian lays it out for ya' in the first few seconds.

• Love
Reactions: Sandhog308
His big sister lives in our house.

Saw her get run over by two cars. Put her in my office to die without ants eating her alive. Unconscious for two days, she miraculously revived. Blind and deaf for the first month, then got her sight back and partial hearing. Mean as a snake. We've decided to find it charming.

View attachment 8203969
View attachment 8203943
View attachment 8203945
View attachment 8203944
View attachment 8203946
That's some Pet Sematary shit right there.... I recommend you trick that fucker outta yer house and lock the doors asap. I'd tell you to shoot it, but I have the feeling it would turn the gun on you somehow.

I still have my discman (from Sony!) I got in Basic in 88. Its in it's box over my left shoulder.

My Dad got a TRS-80 when I was in HS. Quickly determined that programming more than 10 color = blue 20 go to 10 was for the pocket protector set and ignored it till college. Then the engineering students had to buy the IBM 'portable' computer with the 5 1/4" floppies and the monocolor ~5" monitor. Watched those guys lug around a suitcase on campus. ...and VA Tech ain't small!

The computer science types had it easier. They had to buy a Macintosh. Still black and white, but they didn't have to lug em around.

M

Oh, that's nothing. I have a "Watchman" (2.5" sq screen TV). In fact, it was a "Voyager" Watchman that picked up OTA tranmissions in Europe. None of them work now due to the focus on Digital transmissions, but...

His big sister lives in our house.

Saw her get run over by two cars. Put her in my office to die without ants eating her alive. Unconscious for two days, she miraculously revived. Blind and deaf for the first month, then got her sight back and partial hearing. Mean as a snake. We've decided to find it charming.

View attachment 8203969
View attachment 8203943
View attachment 8203945
View attachment 8203944
View attachment 8203946
I would guess someone has never read the book "Pet Cemetary"

Recipe # OH SHIT! Not food thief but......

One summer I was working derricks on a rig north of Ft. Stockton TX in the early 70's, & we had a floor hand on daylights (Karl) stay over to pull a double on our evening tour as our motorman was out sick. This guy was highly thought to be the one stealing gloves out of our lockers.

Caustic Soda (Sodium Hydroxide-Na++OH--) is as bad as it sounds if you get it on your skin. Highly reactive with water. The flake form comes in a 50lb. bag for oilfield use and has a habit of leaving a powder residue in the empty bag. I (someone) filled a pair of brand new cotton gloves full to the top w/ the powder and then shook it all out.....leaving some behind, doncha know.

Temperature is pushing high 90's and it's hot AF. We're pulling pipe and everybody is sweatin' like a fresh fucked fox in a forest fire.
It's only an hour into an eight hour work day and all of a sudden Karl realizes something ain't right in the universe. He comes out of his gloves screamin' and moanin' with big bubble blisters on both hands! Walt, the tool pusher hadda drive him the 30 minutes to the hospital.

Karl didn't come back. His wife had to drive 50 miles from Monahans to pick him up.

Walt was PISSED....he hadda finish out the tour while we pulled pipe AND got a lost time accident posted to his sheet. No one owned up to the doins and no one got any more missing gloves.......

Guess we found the glove thief at work!
Disclaimer...Sorry no pictures, but I PROMISE you it MIGHT have happened...

Recipe # OH SHIT! Not food thief but......

One summer I was working derricks on a rig north of Ft. Stockton TX in the early 70's, & we had a floor hand on daylights (Karl) stay over to pull a double on our evening tour as our motorman was out sick. This guy was highly thought to be the one stealing gloves out of our lockers.

Caustic Soda (Sodium Hydroxide-Na++OH--) is as bad as it sounds if you get it on your skin. Highly reactive with water. The flake form comes in a 50lb. bag for oilfield use and has a habit of leaving a powder residue in the empty bag. I (someone) filled a pair of brand new cotton gloves full to the top w/ the powder and then shook it all out.....leaving some behind, doncha know.

Temperature is pushing high 90's and it's hot AF. We're pulling pipe and everybody is sweatin' like a fresh fucked fox in a forest fire.
It's only an hour into an eight hour work day and all of a sudden Karl realizes something ain't right in the universe. He comes out of his gloves screamin' and moanin' with big bubble blisters on both hands! Walt, the tool pusher hadda drive him the 30 minutes to the hospital.

Karl didn't come back. His wife had to drive 50 miles from Monahans to pick him up.

Walt was PISSED....he hadda finish out the tour while we pulled pipe AND got a lost time accident posted to his sheet. No one owned up to the doins and no one got any more missing gloves.......

Guess we found the glove thief at work!
Disclaimer...Sorry no pictures, but I PROMISE you it MIGHT have happened...
Wallopers?

Slide rules are a dime a dozen. The CDC-6600 was massive...

1920px-CDC_6600_Overview.png

It was a monster "number cruncher." An "octal" machine (as opposed to IBM S360/370 mainframes that were "hexadecimal." They could move all kinds of data).
That's pretty special, considering a total of about 100 were sold. Interestingly, some concepts and features from the old mainframes survive in machines today. Happily, the CDC 60 bit word and 12 bit byte are not among them.

Bought this for my Dad when it was first released . Father's Day sale for $85-what a fossil

oops, I’m off. The TI-30 was the standard NNPS calculator. What we has in High School in the 70s was the SR-51a.

1692050356863.jpeg

Enter 69 factorial … 69[!x] and watch it think for like 15 seconds or something. Was the longest function we ever came up with.

1692049733483.jpeg

Had one of these baby’s in Nuclear Power School in Orlando.

Attachments

• 1692049543162.jpeg
    1692049543162.jpeg
    24.1 KB · Views: 105
Last edited:
View attachment 8204798

My first calculator.

View attachment 8204801

Had one of these baby’s in Nuclear Power School in Orlando.

During High School, the calculator of choice was an HP-65 Scientific. But then in college, it graduated to the HP-12C Calculator

1280px-HP-12C_programmable_calculator.jpg

What was weird about this calculator was that you got to enter things in "Postfix" "Polish Notation" (Yup, that's what it was called)... To add 2 numbers, you type in the 1st number and press "Enter" You then type in the 2nd number and then press the "plus" key. And it would add the two numbers.

During High School, the calculator of choice was an HP-65 Scientific. But then in college, it graduated to the HP-12C Calculator

1280px-HP-12C_programmable_calculator.jpg

What was weird about this calculator was that you got to enter things in "Postfix" "Polish Notation" (Yup, that's what it was called)... To add 2 numbers, you type in the 1st number and press "Enter" You then type in the 2nd number and then press the "plus" key. And it would add the two numbers.
You mean "reverse Polish notation"

Polish notation you put the operator first then the number.

Reactions: klf

M
I got to learn most of the non-programming stuff in the Air Force on their dime. Nothing like being a 1980s cryptographic systems guy; crypto guys were taught how everything worked, and how the math translated into electronics down the component level on the circuit boards.

So now I’m just a super nerd….

You mean "reverse Polish notation"

Polish notation you put the operator first then the number.

That would be "prefix" notation (operator to the left of both operands). Postfix is the operator to the right of both operands. Both can be "Polish Notation" and were invented by Dr. Jan Łukasiewicz. "Infix" is when the operator lies between both operands. My main computer professor and college advisor (himself Polish as well) was insistent on us understanding that as part of our "complier theory" class.